Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Robert McGregor & Elizabeth Banks

Default Robert McGregor & Elizabeth Banks

Hello, it's me again...I was wondering if anyone was researching Robert McGregor (1826-1914) & Elizabeth Banks (1838-1907).

As I've had more responses from posting about individuals, than I have with Family surnames, I thought I would try this couple. Hope everyone isn't getting bored. LOL

Robert McGregor and Elizabeth "Betsy" Banks were married on 19th December 1856 in Watten. They remained in Watten for all of their lives and had the following children...

Donald Banks McGregor (1857-1930) married Henrietta McLennan (had at least seven children - for some i have further information);
    Robert McGregor (b1859), died in infancy;
    Margaret McGregor (1861), died in infancy;
    Esther McGregor (1862-1950) - had two children, one of which I have some other details for;
    Betty McGregor (1865-1945) - had three children, two of which I have more details for;
    Robert McGregor (1867-1909) married Mary Cook - had three children, one of whom I have more for;
    Hugh McGregor (1870-?) married Isabella MacPherson Geddes - had at least five children, one of whom I have more for;
    James McGregor (1872-?);
    Alexander McGregor (1875-1929) married Alexanderina "Alexina/Lexy" Cameron - had five children (Alexander & Lexy are my Great Grandparents);
    Christina McGregor (1879-?)

If anyone is researching the same family I would welcome any contact so we can swap information.

Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 22-Jun-11 at 18:57.

hi i am related to the above family. My grandfather was Robert MacGregor who was the son of Hugh and Isabella MacPherson Geddes.I would be glad of any information you have. beryl nee MacGregor. email address ballinleish@hotmail.com
    Last edited by JammyDodger69; 24-Jun-11 at 20:12. Reason: add email address

Default Donald Banks Macgregor caithness father?

Hi can you help. I am researching Husbands family history. got to 1854 Donald Banks Macgregor son of Donald Macgregor . Baptism record looks like father Donald macgregor Uist. Mother isabella Mowat. but can't seem to trace him via Uist. perhaps I am reading baptism record wrongly.
    My husbands grandfather on maternal side was George William Grant Sutherland ( son of donald banks macgregor)
    I am new at this so any help much appreciated.

Marilyn,

George William Grant Sutherland McGregor (1887-1964) that I have on my tree was married to Elizabeth Sandison Campbell. George was the son of Donald Banks McGregor (1857-1930) and Henrietta McLennan (c1859-1925). If this is the same family as yours then you can PM me and I can give you more information.

My Donald Banks McGregor was a brother of my Great Grandfather, Alexander McGregor (1875-1929). After having completed my direct line I've been tying to research what happened to all of the siblings in every generation in my tree.

The only link to the Western Isles I am aware of in my family is through Henrietta McLennan - the census records record her as being born in the Hebrides, but she has been noted as being born in Stornoway and Portree - so, Outer or Inner Hebrides. I honestly haven't looked for her birth record as she is not a blood relation to me. I do have that she was the daughter of John McLennan and Jane McKenzie.

The Donald Banks McGregor in my tree was the son of Robert McGregor and Elizabeth Banks (married 1856 in Watten, Caithness). Although Donald was the first born son in the family he was actually named after his mother's father, rather than his father's father. Presumably as his grandfather Donald Banks had passed away in 1850.

If you think we are on the same page, then please PM me. If you are unable to do so, let me know here and I will post my email address for you.

Kindest Regards,
    Steven

Thank you so much. I was on the wrong track. The Banks middle name through me off track.
    Yes my husbands mother is Henrietta maclennan nee Macgregor born 1923. her father was George WGS Macgregor son of Donald Macgregor & Henrietta Maclennon.
    Your info re Robert Macgregor & Elizabeth Banks. great help as I am new to this. Great help Thanks

Marilyn,

Glad to be of any help whatsoever.

What are the chances that there are two men named George William Grant Sutherland McGregor??? Absolutely bonkers, but I think I am reaching the point where I fail to be amazed anymore. Close, but not quite yet! Which is why I have to ask the following...

Ignoring Robert McGregor & Elizabeth Banks for a moment, can I ask for a wee bit more information about your George William Grant Sutherland McGregor. Do you know when and where he was born? Also, did he serve during World War 1? My George WGS McGregor served with 10 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. He was posted overseas in January 1917 (on the 15th), and was wounded in action in April 1917. After the war George WGS McGregor married on 7 February 1922 at Stafford Lane, Wick, Caithness, Scotland.

It just seems too much of a coincidence to be real. If you want to email me so we can exchange a little more information (just to put my mind at rest!!!), then you can contact me at sgmcgregor@yahoo.co.uk

Kind Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 28-Jun-14 at 18:39. Reason: Added military service and marriage details