Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: John McCauley 1864

Default John McCauley 1864

Trying to find any info for John McCauley b 5th March 1864 in Bilbster, Wick.
    His mother was Isabella Ross (not married).

1871 Census for Wick, Drumdry.
    I found John McAuley age 7 scholar
    mother Isabella Ross 36 General Servant
    another son David Campbell 12 scholar

1881 John McAuley age 17 Farm Servant
    at Bruce's farm Kilimster ----- this could be the lad you are looking for.

Default John McAuley

1901 census 60 Argyle Sq Wick.
    John McAuley 35 Cooper
    Annie wife 21.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    also
    1901 John McAuley 36 born Wick Railwayman foreman.
    wife Jemima nee Proudfoot 25
    there are other Proudfoot family here too.

You will have to go to Scotlandspeople for the marriage cert to ascertain which is Your John MacAuley.

The above census records I got from Ancestry and they dont give too much information.
    Good luck
    Trinkie

Many Thanks. I found david Campbell was employed on the railway at Wick all his working life. So I have a hunch McCauley / Proudfoot will be my best bet.
    Regards
    David

Hi, I am related to John McAulay, Wick, he did move to Perth and worked for the railway. The Mcaualy name has changed spelling over the years but there are still quite a few in Perth. David Campbell had a son Alex Asher born in 1876 Wick but I can't find him after the 1881 census when he is 5 years old, can you help? If you need any help with the Perth area for McAulays I can help out. John McAulay had two wives Jamima Niven Proudfoot and Jamima Laird. There are graves in the Bells hill Cemetry for some of them if you would like some details. Do you have any information on John McAulays father, he is on his death certificate and marriage certificate as Distillary Night Watchman, I have been into the Pultney Distillery this week and they don't have records of employees.