Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: HELP needed- cant view camcorder clips as MP4

Default HELP needed- cant view camcorder clips as MP4

Hi,

Can anyone please help, i like to think i'm a tad computer literate but i have hit a wall, i recently bought a sanyo xacti dual camcorder from Amazon, it doesn't come with any CD software, the camera is great....

Problem... i can't view any of my clips, when i attach the camcorder to download windows pops up asking if i want to open to view etc etc... i have managed to get them into a folder but when i try to watch them in windows media it tells me it can't be opened or something to that effect... i have tried downloading movie maker, and a few other programs like picassa but nothing so far.... i have windows vista laptop.. can anyone help as i need to be able to view asap....

thanks in advance
    alison

Try VLC

It pretty much plays everything:

http://www.videolan.org/

If you install programs to try it out use portable versions, otherwise you will clog up your pc with time...

Thanks for your replies, i can't tell you how appreciated they are as desperate for help....

I installed videolan last week to see if it would help and although it does open the clips, after about 2 secs of playing the picture freezes but the sound continues playing so i then tried downloading codecs or something but still nothing??

Looks like all the info you need is here:

http://xacti.proboards.com/index.cgi...splay&thread=3

Should VLC fail to play them back (it's rare but happens on occasion, usually with some recent Microsoft formats) download the Combined Community Codec Pack and use Media Player Classic (installed with pack)