Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: fields with wild flowers

Default fields with wild flowers

is there anywhere in Caithness that has fields of wild flowers growing at any time? would love to find a field of poppies to photograph

Bit early in the year yet for the poppies to be out but keep watching any fields where any sort of grain is growing.

poppies seem to be in short supply up here from what i have seen, the best display i have seen is on the A96 to Aberdeen, only the odd one or two here
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

In Orkney,e road fae Stromness to Kirkwall, there are always some lovely poppies by e roadside

A good hug often helps

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Bit early in the year yet for the poppies to be out but keep watching any fields where any sort of grain is growing.
    There's some poppies - lovely big red ones - on the Camster road and on the Sibster road
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

I think dragonfly is looking for the wild red poppy and not the large escapee cultivars.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I think dragonfly is looking for the wild red poppy and not the large escapee cultivars.
    Maybe someone should go and pull them up then? Wonder where they came from as they're in the middle of nowhere

thanks for all the replies and pm's, will have a scout around some of the suggestions x

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    thanks for all the replies and pm's, will have a scout around some of the suggestions x
    Hope you have a big zoom lens for e Stromness tae Kirkwall road.

There are a few clumps here and there from Aimster to Halkirk but they look like cultivars.There are usually a few barley fields along that road with a lot of poppies later on in the season.

cheers will keep that one in mind too.......just wish we had meadows with wild flowers growing up here, might go scatter some packs of seeds in a couple of fields for next year :-)

not poppies but think just south of thrumster there's field of buttercups or yellow flowers if that is any use

There's a mill by Watten and there are loads of wildflowers in the fields Including wild poppies

thanks Wickscorrie & Leanne, found loads since posting this, they've all started blooming so have taken a few pics, but if you wouldn't mind pm'ing me whereabouts Leanne that would be good xx

The bogcotton is good at this time of year.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thuso river between Millbank bridge and the cemetery is in bloom with wild flowers and grasses and weeds. Well worth a look.

The roadside verges in Reay re looking super, the cowslips are brilliant and the orchids about to flower. Sadly, it seems that many of the residents there take it upon themselves to mow the roadside patches adjacent to their property, down to a sterile lawn. I ca only assume it's because they regard such wild flower meadows as unsightly. Very sad. PROBABLY THE LAST REMNANTS OF UNIMPROVED PASTURE IN THE COUNTY. Perhaps these areas are the property of Highways, in which case we should beasking how these folk get away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Thuso river between Millbank bridge and the cemetery is in bloom with wild flowers and grasses and weeds. Well worth a look.
    Ive just noticed this thread from last year. Its in full bloom again. You would be hard pressed to find a more peaceful environment anywhere and very photogenic too. Some bonnie individual trees.
    Last edited by gleeber; 30-Jun-12 at 22:16. Reason: add a bit

my mum has wildflower field with a variety in bloom at the moment if you wish to get in touch.