Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: spooky computer

Default spooky computer

Hi all.

Problem DELL computer XP OS keeps starting up on its own.Disconnected it from internet but still starts up.Power management in control panel looks ok.

What possible ticks have been made. I am not from Portgower.

Regards AK.

Most likely it's set to Wake On a mouse, ethernet or keyboard event in the system BIOS. You'd normally access it via pressing Del or F2 (or sometimes F10, Ins or other key - check the start up screen for 'Press key to enter Setup') just as the PC is turning on. Once there you'll need to look through the various screens for the Wake On events and easiest thing is to turn them off / disable them.

Hi bobinovich.
    Nothing was moved on the computer.I am house sitting for a friend . shut the thing three times and on return two days later it was running again no input from any one,the house is empty.

If it's got an old-style modem which is still plugged into the telephone line there's also a Wake on Ring event which could be activating it. A Wake on Ethernet event could be a signal from a router - regardless of whether the router is plugged into the telephone socket. A Wake on Keyboard or Mouse event could activate if a cat/dog walked/moved them when walking past. Another distinct possibility is an action on Power Off might be set to Turn On or similar when power is restored - maybe the power has gone out (as we had recently) and when it came back on the PC responded by starting up again.

These are just possible ideas based on known BIOS settings, regardless of how unlikely as they may sound !

Hi again Bobinovich.
    The router is new BT home hub2,Tried with ethernet connection out it still ran up.Looks like a BIOS problem more information on the power turn on as it might be that.Nothing to do with the outage recently as the three times I found it on was after that.It beats me how the BIOS settings could have changed my friend dos'nt know what or where BIOS is?

Maybe it's never been changed but has always been the default setting and your friend simply hasn't noticed it going on automatically before after a power cut. Anyway, for the sake of a quick look it's worth going into the BIOS and checking the settings there. You can see a typical BIOS screen here (Power Management option from main screen) with the power setting being PWR Lost Resume State (should really be set to Stay Off or Keep Off), and the Wake Up Events on a sub-menu below that (best to set all to Off / Disabled)