Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genuinely scary films?

Tilly Teckel Guest

Default Genuinely scary films?

I love a good horror but there are so few of them these days, or maybe I'm just getting harder to scare! However I did happen upon one the other day, 'The Fourth Kind'. Won't say too much for fear of spoiling it for others but it was really creepy and suspenseful - my poor little dog who was sat on my lap at the time found herself gripped a bit too firmly at times!!

Which films genuinely scare you and why?

The Rite With Anthony Hopkins A Must See 10/10

Insidious.

IT, sad but watched it young and still have shivers!
    http://itqueries.com/

Went to see Carrie in the early 80's with my wife, scared witless by the screams of the audience at the end. As a result I tend to avoid "Horror" movies, prefer to be amused and made to laugh than to be made scared.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

its really hard nowadays to get a good thriller, they seem to be more interested in pushing the gore factor,
    which quite frankly spoils it as far as i'm concerned.
    a good film in my mind, is one that makes the human mind conjour up far more frightful things from suggestion and imagination than could ever be shown on a screen! lol
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Yes, I agree. I love suspense/horror movies that have a psychological twist. What I REALLY hate are those teen slasher movies with loads of blood and scantily clad screaming bimbos

Insidious is really good.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.ROY'S DEATH BLADE RUNNER 1982

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    IT, sad but watched it young and still have shivers!
    Have to agree with you there Brandy. Even though the film wasn't really scary, but I hate clowns and to top it off, he had razor sharp teeth.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Went to see Carrie in the early 80's with my wife, scared witless by the screams of the audience at the end. As a result I tend to avoid "Horror" movies, prefer to be amused and made to laugh than to be made scared.
    Yes, I agree. 'Carrie' and the audience reaction to the scene where the hand shoots out of the grave is particularly frightening...though it was more the gasps and shrieks (from the audience) with me moreso than what was happening onscreen. Recently, only a 'Haunting in Connecticut' has made me close my eyes - more in repulsion than fear....I don't like seeing eyelids cut off, you see.

Default Shutters up!

It's not a horror film as such but I am enjoying Shutter Island at the moment. In installments at bed-time...very atmospheric and rather unsettling.
    The movie, that is...bed-time is really rather normal.

I like the film Last house on the left well worth watching

Insidious Im genuinely NEVER scared by movies, but that one made me jump alot and was really creepy! Dont think i could watch it again!

Saw the fourth kind aswell, thought it was creepy, and a darn site better than Paranormal activity!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Remember Hellraiser was kinda shocker scary

Tilly Teckel Guest

Ooooh, Hellraiser! That gave me nightmares for weeks when I saw it first - probably at a stupidly young age!

I've always been into horror and would sneak downstairs as a kid after the parents were asleep to see if there was anything scary on the box. Many's the night when I ran hell-for-leather back up the stairs after a film, terrified that someone (or thing...) was behind me in the dark

The Strangers is the best scary film I've saw in a long time!
    Multi-tasking? I can't even do two things at once. I can't even do one thing at once!
    - Helena Bonham Carter.

I remember the very first scary film I ever saw. Saturday afternoon at our local cinema, back in the 1950's, when the cinema was full of kids who were sent there so parents could get some peace and quite. The film was called 'The Monster that Challenged the World'. We were all scared witless! All the more scary being in black and white!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Just seen a trailer for the classic horror prequel - The Thing! That looks damn good! The original was Way ahead of its time.

Default Oooo...Spooky...

"Let The Right One In", "Drag Me To Hell", "30 Days Of Night", "The Mist (2007)", "The Reaping", "Skeleton Key", "Splice" and "The Caller". I realise a good horror like anything else is subjective to each individual, but do feel free and try any of these out and make up your own mind. There have also been some good Asian orientated horror films if you are feeling open-minded. :O)

For me the old version of The Wickerman and Missisippi Burning are genuinely scary. Missisippi Burning is loosely based on true events. Very frightening!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast