Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuinely scary films?

Tilly Teckel Guest

The Wickerman freaked me out too! Cheers for the suggestions Rockulus; I'll check out some of those. I'm quite keen on Japanese scary movies, I like the way they create tension in a very minimalist way. Not seen The Strangers, as suggested by jlumsden, but will have a look.

I introduced my 14 year old son to The Shining the other day. Does that make me a bad parent? I'm sure he'll get a good night's sleep soon... mwahahahaha....

Have you see 'The Cube'? Not the TV series though. It's a gory, suspense one, that makes you think.

I quite like the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

For a less gory option there is a film called Identity that is really makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    I introduced my 14 year old son to The Shining the other day. Does that make me a bad parent? I'm sure he'll get a good night's sleep soon... mwahahahaha....
    That's the only book I haven't finished as it was just toooooo scary!

Horror writers - anything by James Herbert. They don't translate too well to screen as, unlike Steven King, he writes them so your imagination gives the horror, rather than having it spelled out to you.

Tilly Teckel Guest

I forgot about The Cube! That was a cool film Will have to find it and watch it again...

I know what you mean about James Herbert, with his books you scare yourself more than he scares you! I like that though, that how books should be. Hitchcock understood that's how films should be too.

I'd love to let my son read The Shining as it's (as usual) far superior to the film but there's just too much of the old swearing in it. He loves reading and often browses my bookshelves but we have a deal that I have to approve a book before he can read it. Mind you, I was reading far worse than that at his age and I don't think it did me any harm...

Cool films TAFKAL, both the first "Cube" movie, not the two sequels!, and also the "Identity" movie. :O)

Did you get into the "Saw" franchise too?

"Life's a journey, not a destination"

The Grudge is a classic... i have a panic attck everytime someone puts it on!!
    Amy

Love the simplicity of the Cube. Also saw as a child 'Night of the Demon' Scared me for years after. Also another film I cannot remember the title of, we call it the bendy wall film... an old b&w movie. Also Wolf Creek, Alien, Death Machine, The Executioner, and the utterly disgusting B movie Nazi Experiments!

Angel...
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

Anyone seen Human Centipede??? Seriously messed up film!! :-s Had nightmares for about a month after watching that!

Tilly Teckel Guest

I recorded it on Sky then changed my mind and deleted it without watching it - think I must be getting soft in my old age! I heard it was pretty bad though...

Bambie ................

Ok this is one i agree with and have found time and time again to be boring horrors nowadays dont have the suspense but latley i have come accross two that left me turning the lights on

The first one very creepy not really a horror but very creepy "dont be afraid of the dark" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFE4lGvRt8E

The second is a film aimed at a younger audience Caled "the Hole" has scary clown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaeZLQ5YLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12