Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: There's been a Murrdurr!

Default There's been a Murrdurr!

This evening at Scarfskerry a Sparrowhawk took a Greenfinch. Stamped on its head before pecking at its wings and body. The assailant then took to the air with the victim firmly gripped in its tallons.

Last edited by Gronnuck; 12-May-11 at 21:27.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Wowee. Well caught Sparrowhawk and well done Gronnuck.)

Thanks for this Gronnuck! Great photo. Hope the sparrowhawk doesn't find our wee birdies. I've got 4 feeders on the go, which need refilled all the bloomin time, but we have green finches, blue tits, great tits, sparrows, robins and have even spotted a gold finch recently so don't want them to get scoffed by another bird!! x

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyChick View Post
    Thanks for this Gronnuck! Great photo. Hope the sparrowhawk doesn't find our wee birdies. I've got 4 feeders on the go, which need refilled all the bloomin time, but we have green finches, blue tits, great tits, sparrows, robins and have even spotted a gold finch recently so don't want them to get scoffed by another bird!! x
    Nowhere is safe SunnyChick. The post you see behind the Sparrowhawk supports our feeders. Many of our visitors scurry around the grass picking up various seed that has dropped from the feeders. Thankfully we don't get a visit from the Sparrowhawk very often.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I have no burdies left thanks to a sparrowhawk OH. says I just fatten them up for him.

I know the sparrowhawk is a beautiful bird and needs to kill other birds to survive but I don't want it to come and kill 'my' birdies!

I've heard the terrible 'screech' of it's victims at times and it was awful!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"