Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gee whizz, is there anything left to discuss here?

Default Gee whizz, is there anything left to discuss here?

Religion is now banned, as well as football. A million moderators with hee haw to moderate. Pretty heavy-handed in my opinion.

Indeed.....did someone complain?
    No offence was intended
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Religion is now banned, as well as football. A million moderators with hee haw to moderate. Pretty heavy-handed in my opinion.
    yes i agree, what is the problem? religion and football are great topics to discuss if done with respect for each person and an open mind.if folkes do get out of order then deal with it, but to be banned. its getting a bit like a kinder garden org

All that's left is gossip, lost pets and kneejerk ranting. I don't see a rosy future for the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB1979 View Post
    All that's left is gossip, lost pets and kneejerk ranting. I don't see a rosy future for the forum.
    High handed, unecessary and detrimental to the Forum. There does not seem to be many interesting topics left to ban.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

......and sex has always been a no no
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by martin macdonald View Post
    yes i agree, what is the problem? religion and football are great topics to discuss if done with respect for each person and an open mind.if folkes do get out of order then deal with it, but to be banned. its getting a bit like a kinder garden org
    I suspect that might be the issue. I didn't read the opening post in the offending thread as being respectful of others' views, or openminded. Quite the opposite in fact.

Hmm - meant only to highlight the respect and open mind bit but it's done the lot when I publish it to the board. Looks fine in the text editor box.

A real shame. There may have been one or two people who got out of hand but all those who voluntarily read and joined into the discussions enjoyed them.

Better to deal with the messenger, not the message.

how many people's live's actually revolve around football and religion?,

I am not against either being discussed, but i can also see why they have been banned and threads been locked as both are subjects that would more than likely get out of hand due to differences of opinion. i know that a lot of you will say that there is differences of opinion on all threads and yes there is, but just look out at the big wide world and see how much trouble has been caused by both these subjects it is just a recipe for disaster because unfortunatley there are a few who would take offence and because others dissagree with them would start personnel attacks and go way off topic.
    thats my opinion anyway, and no doubt there will be someone who will take what i have said the wrong way or twist what i have said but hey thats a part of .org for you.
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    because unfortunatley there are a few who would take offence and because others dissagree with them would start personnel attacks and go way off topic.
    Unfortunately that sort of juvenile behaviour on the Org is not limited to religion and football, as I have recently discovered. In fact there are even 'moderators' who indulge in such behaviour.

Wait a minute! Are we allowed to discuss what we're allowed to discuss?
    You get what you give

honestly.. i would have banned the poster instead of the subject.
    most everyone knows my views.. and when i read it.. well not even going to explain how it made me feel.. and i saw no point in responding as it was a post meant to stir trouble.. not to make a statement of belief.
    to each his own and hopes that all are happy in what ever path their lives take them.
    i am curious though... as far a theology and debating .. that is a whole lot of room to cover in a ban.. Nial are you sure there isnt a way where we can discuss religion.. but make it clear that it has to stay.. in a grey area.. that puposfully stirring trouble will cause a ban of the person and not the subject on the same way as swearing?
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman View Post
    Wait a minute! Are we allowed to discuss what we're allowed to discuss?
    Bit by bit the very aspects which made CCWS so interesting, the differences of opinion and belief, are being removed. There are not many subjects with teeth left that we can speak our minds about without being Moderated, banned or locked. The thread in question could have led into some interesting directions but now it has joined the rapidly expanding number of locked or vanished threads. How far can it go, one wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    most everyone knows my views.. and when i read it.. well not even going to explain how it made me feel.. and i saw no point in responding as it was a post meant to stir trouble.. not to make a statement of belief.
    to each his own and hopes that all are happy in what ever path their lives take them.
    i am curious though... as far a theology and debating .. that is a whole lot of room to cover in a ban.. Nial are you sure there isnt a way where we can discuss religion.. but make it clear that it has to stay.. in a grey area.. that puposfully stirring trouble will cause a ban of the person and not the subject on the same way as swearing?
    well said brandy. the poster should be banned

Quote Originally Posted by martin macdonald View Post
    well said brandy. the poster should be banned
    Could this not be construed as deliberately stirring trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    how many people's live's actually revolve around football and religion?,

just look out at the big wide world and see how much trouble has been caused by both these subjects (
    Well, it is pretty much just the one subject in some football cases. I think it is pretty sad if we cannot discuss something just because it is problematical, surely the whole point of having so many moderators is to be able to step in when certain people go over the score. I believe that others are capable of holding a reasonable, intelligent discussion and disagree without needing to go to war over it.

I noted a post a while back where Niall talked about introducing a penalty for a person who had posted a list, culled from the internet. The reason for penalising was that the thread had been posted some months earlier and was not as funny as the poster thought. I think that is getting a bit rich, where you have to scan to see if something has already been on the org and then have it vetted for quality before posting. Is this a public forum or something that is being polished to satisfy a minority?

On another forum I am involved with we took the stance of no politics or religion - it was just too much trouble to moderate the topics when there was a clash of personal opinion. Threads quickly spiralled into personal attacks against contributors.
    Politics and religion are probably the two subjects which are going to have people defending their believes more vociferously than any other and I think that has been shown to be the case in some threads which have ventured into this subject.

While we set up a sub forum for 'older wiser members' to discuss some taboo subjects we still have problems with some members, from opposite ends of the <Insert Subject> spectrum, locking horns like a couple of rutting stags....

Unfortunately if politics and religion are to be banned as discussion topics that leaves very little else to discuss. As there is very little in life which does not involve one or the other. For example, the Asda topic, that is politics.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    That is nonsense. A public forum should never be run with the view to pandering to one person's feelings. The original post is perfectly reasonable, if lacking a depth of thought.

True faith could never be hurt by the opinion of another person, true faith would be about tolerance without anger, true faith would be about accepting the other party's right to speak freely. I don't believe that any God would be in favour of bans or ignore buttons.

Thankfully Asda doesn't feature that often on the forum I'm talking about

But I see what you mean - football and religion in some cities are so intertwined you couldn't get a sheet of paper between them. But while folk get hot and bothered under the collar about diametrically opposed views to their own, and fail to moderate their responses, then I guess the subjects will remain 'off limits'...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast