Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Why independence?

[QUOTE=Kells;851837]
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post
    So we can deduce from all this that 'your' WPC wasn't exactly patrolling in the nasty areas by he rself.......Disney would turn this down as unbelievable....[/QUOTE
    Are you stupid are trying to be clever? sometimes it is hard to tell and this is one of those times.
    Let me remind you:

You stated that your daughter patrolled by herself at night and deliberately gave the impression that this regularly happened in areas that had a very bad reputation.

Yet a few posts later you contradict this by stating thate there are areas where the police only operate in threes.

Thus the deduction that your daughter wasn't actually patrolling alone, at night, in the 'bad' areas that you would have us believe.

Get this straight, you brought this upon yourself by attempting to back up Corries statement that somehow Scots cities are somehow 'safer' than cities in the UK. You tried to bull, shot yourself in the head and then threw Teddy away when you got rumbled.

I'm getting tired of saying this - we need to deal with FACTS when discussing Scotlands future, not some pathetic dreamed up and unsubtantiatable opinions that purport to show a permanent state of Scotland good/rest of UK bad.

OK. Back to the subject (ish) as no one is going to tell John why independence or answer his constitutional queries.

What happens in this scenario. 80% turnout at the polls (impossibly high but we are being hypothetical) of that 80%, 60% vote yes.

Does Alex go to Parliament and demand independence?

What does he do if the UK Gov of the day either says fine so the rest of the UK now needs a referendum or don't be silly that isnt enough support or well, we'll put it to the house of Lords commitees and they will report in the fullness of time..........?

Personally, I really can't see it ever happening.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Ok John. I think that ultimately people WILL have a say. What we are talking about here is a referendum for Scotland's people to say what their wishes are. Let's assume the majority of Scotland votes for independence. The next step surely will have to be to take this to Westminster. It will have to be ratified by the UK and that may possibly be through a UK wide referendum on the break up of the union.

We shall see but that's what I would see happening. Didn't something similar happen in chekoslovakia before it broke up?However Let's not get ahead of ourselves tho. The Scottish people must have the first say and that is what we need to focus on just now.

And Weezer I gave you a few arguments to be going on with.....
    Post number 308 ... Ducati lol I already said that!

Post number 308 ... Ducati lol I already said that!
    Aye, but the question is; what happens, in terms of civil unrest, armed revolt, or do we just sulk?

[QUOTE=Walter Ego;851858]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kells View Post

Let me remind you:

You stated that your daughter patrolled by herself at night and deliberately gave the impression that this regularly happened in areas that had a very bad reputation.

Yet a few posts later you contradict this by stating thate there are areas where the police only operate in threes.

Thus the deduction that your daughter wasn't actually patrolling alone, at night, in the 'bad' areas that you would have us believe.

Get this straight, you brought this upon yourself by attempting to back up Corries statement that somehow Scots cities are somehow 'safer' than cities in the UK. You tried to bull, shot yourself in the head and then threw Teddy away when you got rumbled.

I'm getting tired of saying this - we need to deal with FACTS when discussing Scotlands future, not some pathetic dreamed up and unsubtantiatable opinions that purport to show a permanent state of Scotland good/rest of UK bad.
    My memory is just fine thank you and you have no need ot remind me of anything. I did not give an impression but stated clearly that my daughter walked the streets on PATROL on her own and the Maryhill area is far from being a good area in Glasgow. Can you not read? I do not care whether you believe me or not but neither do I allow anyone to call me a liar.
    So lets get this straight now, I am the one who is talking sense and not the total garbage I am reading about Scottish Law and Glasgow not being safe to walk about it in. The only ones rumbled here are those who are pretending to talk about things they nothing about.
    I would not like to think that if someone has to go to Glasgow for hospital treatemnt or such like is going there in fear after reading the lies that are being written about so much violence on the streets, but obviosuly it is more important to appear the know it all that give any consideration to others.
    I am getting tired of supposed to be grown adults who when the read the fact about anything try and twist them to suit their ego.s and even when they agree they are wrong about the FACTS are such small men they cannot say sorry. I have no need to bull anyone and not shot in the head either in fact no sign of blood here and I love my teddies far to much to throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Aye, but the question is; what happens, in terms of civil unrest, armed revolt, or do we just sulk?
    I suggested earlier you go see the Doctor about your delusions but why not just sulk and the people of Scotland will get on with their lives in the same way as they have always done. You can even barricade your home if that makes you feel safer but being honest with you I doubt that anyone will bother what you do.

[QUOTE=Walter Ego;851858]

Let me remind you:

Just one futher point it was not my statement about three officers going to an incident that was a Police statement. You do get a lot of facts wrong but if you start to read properly you will find you get a much better understanding of things you are writing about and will not get tired when others see where you get the facts wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Have you ever seen tremors ducati? The original film? I'm sure if you emailed them they would give you the plans for Bert Gummer's house and you can take a leaf out of his book if you like.

I would expect civil unrest and armed revolt to be dealt with by the police as is necessary. I would expect that it will be considered by those organising any referendums or separation to have plans in place to deal with these issues.

Being afraid of the consequences is not a good reason to avoid doing the right thing.

Edit: oh dear now I have said that I have to make a phone call I have been putting off sigh.
    Last edited by squidge; 20-May-11 at 10:19.

I would expect civil unrest and armed revolt to be dealt with by the police as is necessary.
    But squidge, there are not enough polis in Scotland at the moment to deal with civil unrest according to the Orgs spokeswoman on Police affairs, at the moment single wee lassies are having to patrol the area of Maryhill at night. How would one wee lassie handle that by herself. I witnessed the G7 protests in Princes Street a few years ago, the protesters won on that occasion in my opinion, the police could not handle it.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

So we don't have a referendum on independence because as a Nation Scotland is scared of a fecht? Aye .......right!!!!

Plan plan plan!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    But squidge, there are not enough polis in Scotland at the moment to deal with civil unrest according to the Orgs spokeswoman on Police affairs, at the moment single wee lassies are having to patrol the area of Maryhill at night. How would one wee lassie handle that by herself. I witnessed the G7 protests in Princes Street a few years ago, the protesters won on that occasion in my opinion, the police could not handle it.
    Not a spokeswoman for anyone just know a bit more about Scots Law than you do. lol The single wee lassies are police officers trained to take care of themselves and deal with situations, and my daugher is well able to do that. lol Ah well it was your opinion what happened at the G7 in Edinburgh but then I have found your opinion is not that well informed.
    Is this paranoia contagious !!!!!!!!! run for the hills........
    Last edited by Kells; 20-May-11 at 11:51.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    the protesters won on that occasion in my opinion, the police could not handle it.
    The protesters won what exactly Golach????.. The protest achieved nothing at all, just like most protests!!
    And your sarcasm does nothing but makes you look shallow and foolish !!

C3.....

At the moment I cannot decide one of two things.

1- has this thread run its course and should I close it? There is broad agreement that the people of Scotland will have their say and that they should have their say. What happens after that, nobody can really predict.

or

2- should I leave the thread open and open another thread asking whether Scotland is a safe place or are there places where police patrol singly, in pairs or in threes?

Is this thread nugatory or does it have a purpose still?
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Where is your popcorn smiley when you need it?

[QUOTE=Kells;851898]
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post

Just one futher point it was not my statement about three officers going to an incident that was a Police statement. You do get a lot of facts wrong but if you start to read properly you will find you get a much better understanding of things you are writing about and will not get tired when others see where you get the facts wrong.

I am very sure of my facts. Because I know more than a few plod who have worked Glasgow............

In fact, I double checked with an old mate of mine before replying. He stated that 'C' division no longer exists (just to prove that I'm not bulling) - but when it did anyone on foot patrol in any of the subs would have met trouble on an extremely regular basis. Which rather sits at odds with your rose tinted view of the area and your statement - don't you think?

He then pointed out that your daughter probably didn't tell you anything as she didn't want her parents to worry. Sounds reasonable to me.
    Unfortunately, this does not change the fact that your original statement that these 'salt of the earth' types were all basically harmless and that there was 'no trouble' in these areas is completely wrong.
    If you want to live in a make believe world, then fine. But don't try and delude others, there are some very nasty characters in our towns and cities and statistics prove that the capacity for violence in our own built up areas is a damn sight higher than anywhere else in the UK.

Now that's a rational and balanced response that covers all the bases. How you gonna handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    At the moment I cannot decide one of two things.

1- has this thread run its course and should I close it? There is broad agreement that the people of Scotland will have their say and that they should have their say. What happens after that, nobody can really predict.

or

2- should I leave the thread open and open another thread asking whether Scotland is a safe place or are there places where police patrol singly, in pairs or in threes?

Is this thread nugatory or does it have a purpose still?
    You can close it for me John as its turned into a slanging match as usual. I think it could be possible to re-open it nearer the time when Alex and Co have given us some facts and figures!!

C3.............

[QUOTE=Walter Ego;851975]

I am very sure of my facts. Because I know more than a few plod who have worked Glasgow............

In fact, I double checked with an old mate of mine before replying. He stated that 'C' division no longer exists (just to prove that I'm not bulling) - but when it did anyone on foot patrol in any of the subs would have met trouble on an extremely regular basis. Which rather sits at odds with your rose tinted view of the area and your statement - don't you think?

He then pointed out that your daughter probably didn't tell you anything as she didn't want her parents to worry. Sounds reasonable to me.
    Unfortunately, this does not change the fact that your original statement that these 'salt of the earth' types were all basically harmless and that there was 'no trouble' in these areas is completely wrong.
    If you want to live in a make believe world, then fine. But don't try and delude others, there are some very nasty characters in our towns and cities and statistics prove that the capacity for violence in our own built up areas is a damn sight higher than anywhere else in the UK.

Now that's a rational and balanced response that covers all the bases. How you gonna handle that?
    You are becoming as boring as I was with this topic but pleased to hear you confirm that I was not telling lies about my daughter and yip I can well believe that she did not tell us everything that went on or that C div is now closed. Now lets be clear on this, I said I myself have been around Glasgow for well over 40 years and at all times of the day and night and never once have I had any bother. I am not saying Glasgow is any worse or any better than any other city as I know nothing about English cities but to portray Glasgow as some terrible and dangerious place to go is very unfair on anyone who has to go down there for the first time for treatment etc. Of course things happen in every city and there are nasty people around but there are also good people in every city as well. Lets put a stop to this stupid scaremongering it has nothing to do with the thread and I do not think any place on this board at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    You can close it for me John as its turned into a slanging match as usual. I think it could be possible to re-open it nearer the time when Alex and Co have given us some facts and figures!!

C3.............
    I second that, but it did start of as a good topic John

I agree but it's blowing into stormy waters.

I have learned a lot and hope that others have too.

Thankyou everyone for the depth of feeling and the sincerity of views put forward. It's had a good raking over so for me that's enough.

If anyone else wants to have a new thread then please do, but this one is about to be closed.

J
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718