Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel prices

Unhappy Fuel prices

Perhaps you've covered this in previous threads so sorry if I'm digging up old ground but I would like to know why most of the filling stations in Caithness do not have their prices on display.
    I've travelled the length of Britain in recent months and Caithness seems to be the only place where this happens.
    I personally refuse to buy from the ones that don't display their prices.
    What do others think?

Let's 'em drive in, then they're trapped
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I personally woudnt go into any filling station that didnt show their prices, it means they have something to hide doesnt it?

Stick to good old Tesco is my advice!!!

C3....

i thought it was simply because the number is too long to display.

prices at the older pumps haven't been on the large boards since it went over a pound a litre, adding an extra digit wasn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    I personally woudnt go into any filling station that didnt show their prices, it means they have something to hide doesnt it?

Stick to good old Tesco is my advice!!!

C3....
    Well i would think again about using tesco petrol, yes it may be cheaper but you will pay for it in the long run,i.e this petrol is not refined the same as other petrol, giving catalytic converter and valve stem problems, as far as living in caithness and nobody displaying there prices, who cares we could boycott all we like, bottom line being if you need it you'll buy it if not get rid of the car and get the bus which will open another thread about folk complaining about how rubbish the public transport can be in caithness.

They could get signs with light up digits that link to the computer that controls the pumps. That way they wouldn't have all the delay involved in reducing their forecourt price as soon as prices go down (because their tank contents were bought at a higher price), although they seem to have no problem doing it as soon as the prices go up (despite their tanks being filled at a lower price). We, their faithful customers, could see clearly where bargains were to be had. Also we could be assured that no 'price-fixing' was going on. We could also make an informed judgement based on fuel quality, like any 'engine-protecting additives' or even the source of more expensive fuel.

But I'm afraid that our local filling stations haven't made enough money for their owners to justify spending on such fripperies over the years. Too bad for us.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by abz02 View Post
    Well i would think again about using tesco petrol, yes it may be cheaper but you will pay for it in the long run,i.e this petrol is not refined the same as other petrol, giving catalytic converter and valve stem problems, as far as living in caithness and nobody displaying there prices, who cares we could boycott all we like, bottom line being if you need it you'll buy it if not get rid of the car and get the bus which will open another thread about folk complaining about how rubbish the public transport can be in caithness.
    I've done 100s of thousands of miles on various cars both Diesel and Petrol fueled almost exclusively at supermarkets. No problems at all. I must be lucky

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I've done 100s of thousands of miles on various cars both Diesel and Petrol fueled almost exclusively at supermarkets. No problems at all. I must be lucky
    But just think of the local jobs you've not supported! Selfish you are...

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post

But I'm afraid that our local filling stations haven't made enough money for their owners to justify spending on such fripperies over the years. Too bad for us.
    Or even to do things like repair or remove the collapsed showroom serving for three years as a 'Welcome to Wick' diorama.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Me too - never used any other but supermarket fuel (up here, like to help pay the wages of those local Tesco workers)

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    [SIZE=2]Me too - never used any other but supermarket fuel
    Where does that come from, the special Inverness tanks for inferior quality fuel?

Its pretty obvious that local independant garages wont display their prices as it is going to drive folks to the supermarkets, supermarkets that are undercutting the independants, independants that are buying in their fuel at the wholesale price the supermarkets are retailing it for.

Local retailers are not stuffing you its the wholesalers that are!!!
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Where does that come from, the special Inverness tanks for inferior quality fuel?
    I repeat: "No problems at all." so IF their tanks are as you state, I wonder why these supermarkets share of the fuel supply is increasing - presume we're all happy with knackered engines just to save a few pennies..

Incidentally have you ever purchased supermarket fuel?

You do not know what you are talking about.

The Fuel that Tesco sells is exactly the same as any other Fuel Station in Caithness. All the Fuel Tankers for all Companies in Caithness get their fuel from the same place so there is no difference.

As to getting rid of your car and getting a Bus. HUH What Busses there are none.

You clearly have issues with Tesco and trying to run down the quality of their fuel will not work. You should not make sweeping remarks about the quality of the Fuel at Tesco without providing any proof.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    Local retailers are not stuffing you its the wholesalers that are!!!
    That's a good point. Why isn't anyone raising the issue or doing anything about it? I would have thought our under-pressure local retailers would have been up in arms lang syne, but the only thing they ever said to me was 'look at how much duty you're paying...'

That's a good point. Why isn't anyone raising the issue or doing anything about it? I would have thought our under-pressure local retailers would have been up in arms lang syne, but the only thing they ever said to me was 'look at how much duty you're paying...'
    It may come as a surprise to you Tubthumper but Tesco pay the same Duty on Fuel as any other Fuel Retailer. The difference comes down to the amount of profit they are willing to accept.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I can speak from bitter experience, when I had pumps at the garage [this in the SE of England], Tesco, Asda, Safeway and Morrisons all sold fuel cheaper than I could buy if for.

Well i would think again about using tesco petrol, yes it may be cheaper but you will pay for it in the long run,i.e this petrol is not refined the same as other petrol, giving catalytic converter and valve stem problems,

Thats just a Myth. Talk to the tanker drivers.

Talking about fuel, I wonder if this one will go anywhere?

'Fuel protesters are staging a go-slow on major routes towards Cheshire's Stanlow oil refinery, where they plan to impose a blockade.
    The M56, M62 and M6 in Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Staffordshire are affected along with the A55 in north Wales and the A5 in Shropshire.
    About 600 lorry drivers, farmers and bikers are joining 20mph convoys.
    Organiser Ian Charlesworth said their aim was to get the government to reduce fuel tax duty by 24p a litre.
    The Stanlow Fuel Protest and Direct Action Group, which recruited supporters through Facebook, said it intended to block the Ellesmere Port refinery's exits.
    It will prevent tankers from leaving the plant and will remain in place until their demands are met, Mr Charlesworth added.'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-13326275

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    [SIZE=2]Talking about fuel, I wonder if this one will go anywhere?
    It did last time - for a short while...

This is the motorway today - virtually empty! Jost prior to the blockade/convoy.

Last edited by Leanne; 08-May-11 at 16:01.
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast