Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Insect Vortex

Default Insect Vortex

Hi! I have always been intrigued as to what this phenomenon is.

In 2006 when it was very dry I drove through Watten from Thurso.
    On approaching Watten I saw what appeared to be a vortex in a field and as I grew closer it appeared to be a vortex of insects.
    (I thought it may have been dust given the dry weather and have been to do with updraughts, etc, but it looked more like insects).

During last week when it was very dry I drove the same road into Watten and came across on the road this time, the same phenomeneon- an insect vortex.
    As I drove on I drove through it, and clearly there were thousands of insects.

I can only describe it as a funnel of insects!

I asked a Professor of Biology who was visiting us last year if he knew what this phenomenon was, but he was unsure.

Anyone seen this or know what it is?

Sorry, just an inquisitive mind.

I've seen a similar thing here in Canada, I live on a south facing hot dry hillside and occasionally there is a hatch of flying ants that comes funnelling out of the ground and is really amazing to see, all kinds of things going on underground!

That's interesting Canadagirl.

I was beginning to wonder if it was just me seeing things, but it really looks quite spectacular, and I'm glad soemone has seen something similar.

Have also seen this a couple of times since we moved here..always following a road and wondered what/why..amazing sight

would it be swarming intelligence?
    http://itqueries.com/