Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Has anyone got any idea's for the small corner of my garden?

Default Has anyone got any idea's for the small corner of my garden?

Hi everyone reading this.
    I have recently moved house 3 months ago. I have a problem with a small part of my garden. As you can see, it looks very boring. The front and rear garden looks fine except for this small corner.

I have lots of spare earth and gravel. I was going to maybe raise the corner, use weed control fabric and cover it with gravel to make it look better and easier to work with once finished. I also have some crazy paving sized caithness stone.

I can get small shrubs but small enough so the roots don't affect the brickwork of the house.

If anyone has any idea's, please Private Message me, Thanks

CaithnessMW

[IMG]file:///H:/Home/Garden/Corner.jpg[/IMG]

If you can't see the photo, PM me with your email address and I will send the photo to you.

Hiya
    Send me a pic of your 'problem corner' will PM you

This sounds like a good challenge! I would personally air on the side of caution re gravel as weeds will soon take over even with a membrane underneath. If the gravel is deep enough you can weed them out but it is a never ending task!
    Caithness stone over a membrane sound the better idea.
    I would then plant containers to brighten the corner up as these can be moved around. Ferns and hostas grow well in containers and if you have enough in a group can look stunning. There are also many different varieties of these.
    To keep the slugs away from the Hosta. Top the pot off with sharp pea sized gravel. This looks good as well while the plant is getting established.
    Containers can be fun as well. You can use more or less anything as long as you establish some drainage holes. If the container is wood however I would line it with plastic (I used old compost bags) this will prolong the life of the container.
    Hope this has given you some ideas!

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l633/caithnessmw/ this is a link to the photo of my garden

The corner looks extremely dry - I would go with Cagney - membranes then Caithness flag with tubs, you have the contents for them there - heathers, lavenders and a spring tub of tulips, along with a tub of roses with clematis climbing at the back with support for later in the year.
    If you want to keep it cultivated add lots of aged horse manure and mix in well to break down and enable moisture to be retained, once done the plants you have will grow better and cover the area and look great but you keep adding manure/compost to get ground better and keep watering the area to ensure plants do not dry out.

I have just sen your photo!
    I agree with some sort of climber or two, they can be grown in containers. The problem with growing in the ground so near to the house id the house foundations and possible builders rubble underground. Try a Pyracanthia, they are lovely at this time of the year and attract bumble bees which are really good for pollination..... I like what you have already. Perhaps you could actually cultivate a border around drive area with a good lot of well rotted manure (as previous poster suggested). You could then have some small shrubs and bulb to brighten things up during different season.

I have added comments to your picture..

Default Picture Comment

Where do I find your comment 'pads1'?

I would add some compost or well rotted manure if you can get your hands on it. And fill it with Shrubs, only ones that die off in the winter - Philadelphious - Mock Orange, smells nice in the Corner and some Spirea at either side - the flower Pink. Some low growing perennials at the front, you will get these from the garden centre in Castletown, just ask for low growing for dry area - they are really good.

I would avoid heathers or any evergreens as the area looks quite dry (which makes them go brown and also our climate doesnt bode well for keeping them looking everygreen}

Good Luck

Wow ! have seen picture of you little garden... it looks great and i think you can even add some Rose plants to it...