Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Noises

Default Noises

I wonder if anyone can help. Over the past week or two there has been a strange 'trilling' noise on the moor near me. It sounds a little bit like crickets but is not crickets. I have checked out the mating sounds of frogs and toads and it isn't that either. Any ideas
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Sounds like quite a fair description of a corncrake:

go to http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ake/index.aspx take a listen, I've not hreard of them here in Caithness, but it would be very good news if it was.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Nick I have had a listen and it does sound similar. I will have to wait until later today and listen again to my noises just to make sure it isn't wishful thinking
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    I wonder if anyone can help. Over the past week or two there has been a strange 'trilling' noise on the moor near me. It sounds a little bit like crickets but is not crickets. I have checked out the mating sounds of frogs and toads and it isn't that either. Any ideas
    It sounds like it could be Snipe displaying, their wing feathers make a rapid drumming sound as they do their display dives over their nesting territory, they will be at their most active just now with the breeding season just started.

nirofo.

I grew up in JOG and the corncrake call was a familiar sound in the summer...unfortunately it's been a very long time since I've heard one though

Have had another listen and still can't make my mind up as to whether it is the sound of corncrakes or not, but I don't think so there seems to be several of them whatever them are, making the noise. Nirofo the sound is definitely Snipe a very different sound.

Einstein

Could it possibly be a grasshopper warbler. There seems to be loads around this year??

They are very distinctive.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ler/index.aspx
    Away with the birds

Grasshopper warbler it is. How lovely

Einstein

I think there is a fair chance it could be a grasshopper warbler. Sounds like a finsih line reeling out! There have been an unusually large number of them in the county this spring

Oh Kas you have solved a mystery for me!!!

I heard a noise last year which sounded like it was coming from a ditch and thought it was a frog or an insect. On listening to the link you gave I now realise it was a Grasshopper Warbler!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

If it was a corncrake it goes all night too - lovely to hear them but if one is nesting nearby you will not get much sleep, so thankfully for you it is the Grasshopper Warbler.

Veekay I am glad you got an ID to the noise, you too Liz. They seem to have become more common up here over the last few years, I only saw my first one four years back, learning my warblers is an ongoing process as they tend to hide most of the time. Its a cracking noise though.
    Away with the birds

Just back from a walk with the dogs - heard the corncrake in the field around the house, guess who is now in for a few sleepless nights?
    It did not come here last year, or maybe I was away when it was calling all night so thought it had moved its nesting spot, it has been here every year since I moved here.
    Should not have posted and maybe it would not be nesting so close to the house.

Mystery solved for me too. heard that strange noise a couple of days ago and could n't identify it thanks kas.

I heard one last night when out for a walk.

I take it these wee birds must be moving North. I just wish I could see one as well as hear it.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

I've heard this sound too on my walks around Brough and
    Dunnet Head. Wondered what it was. Now I know! Thanks

noise is bad for the ear and heart...

Fertility treatment