Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Unusual?

Default Unusual?

I was down at Dunnet beach earlier on and whilst in the "pot holed" car park I saw a wee lizard strolling across the car park itself. It was about three to four inches long and appeared greenish coloured, but when I saw it again in the grass cover then it appeared to be a brownish colour. Whichever colour it really was it had stripes running the length of it's body.

I've never seen a lizard up here and I was wondering if this common to the area?

Quote Originally Posted by highland red View Post
    I was down at Dunnet beach earlier on and whilst in the "pot holed" car park I saw a wee lizard strolling across the car park itself. It was about three to four inches long and appeared greenish coloured, but when I saw it again in the grass cover then it appeared to be a brownish colour. Whichever colour it really was it had stripes running the length of it's body.

I've never seen a lizard up here and I was wondering if this common to the area?

Is this like the lizard you saw, if it is it's a Viviparious or Common Lizard. They're not at all unusual in Caithness, however I don't think Dunnet beach car park would be usual, they could be living in the sand dunes I suppose.

Viviparious or Common Lizard.

nirofo.
    Last edited by nirofo; 01-May-11 at 17:19.

The common lizard isnt that commonly seen up here, but, the hot weather may have "brought them out" so to speak.
    I have seen them in the carpark and the dunes, but, more regulary up in the heather at Dunnethead on nice hot days.
    If searching for them try turning over any bits of corrugated iron you see lying around ...the best bits are those lying in the sun.

While being prepared to leap away from any adders using the same spots to warm themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    Is this like the lizard you saw, if it is it's a Viviparious or Common Lizard. They're not at all unusual in Caithness, however I don't think Dunnet beach car park would be usual, they could be living in the sand dunes I suppose.

Viviparious or Common Lizard.

nirofo.
    Well it's the right sort of shape and the stripes are correct, but as for the colour, well it wasn't at all like this. I tried to get a picture of it, but it was away into the grass.

as I said it appeared light greenish from a distance of 7-8 feet but when I looked at it in the shade it was brownish.

I'm sure you guys are right, but I was just surprised to see a lizard.

Thanks to you ll for your help.

P.S. Would I be likely to discover an Adder whilst looking under old corrugated iron?

Errm...not that likely...just as likely as finding the lizards....
    I havent seen as many adders as lizards if that helps..think the adders can only be counted on my fingers....while lizards are more plentiful........

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    While being prepared to leap away from any adders using the same spots to warm themselves.
    To be honest I'm pretty used to seeing venomous snakes as I lived in Australia for quite a while, but I did get a nasty surprise one day when some water board workers came to check a drain in my garden and disturbed a very angry five foot Eastern Brown snake. I'd only just been clearing the drain with my hands the previous day. anyway no harm was done to us or the snake.

P.S. Our eldest son was bitten by an Adder a few years back (down south), he was fairly unwell for about 24 hrs after but he was fine apart from the bite site took ages to heal. No long term harm done (six feet two and seventeen stones) but the A&E were very interested and took photos etc.

I did not realise there were adders or lizards in Caithness and have been here 30 years. When a child in Berkshire and Oxfordshire adders were quite common. We used to put them in our shirts against our warm skin, where they went to sleep, and try and sneak then into class. Never got bitten. Lots of grass snakes too.

We have seen lots of lizards in and around our garden while living in caithness, so dont think they are really unusual, but they are wonderful to see and watch.

If you come across lizards or adders, let the Highland Biological Recording Group know, just google their website for details. They are always keen on records of any kind of wildlife in the north. There are very few records from up here so everything is welcome, eg frogs, roads, weasels and so on. See www.hbrg.org.uk