Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Default The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Just watched the final part of this trilogy last night, the books were great but the films were dire, Part 1 was passable but by the time you get to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest you will lose the will to live it's so bad.

Tilly Teckel Guest

Thanks for the heads up, I loved the books and have only seen the first film which, as you said, was passable. I was going to buy the others but think I'll just read the books again instead!

I've never been into crime fiction per se but this trilogy had me hooked from the start. Such a good writer. Pretty sad that there'll be no more of them, eh?

We have final part to watch yet and i think they were great but i never read books so cant compare the two

Tilly Teckel Guest

Sometimes it's better to watch the films first cos they're hardly ever better than the book. At least then you enjoy the film! I find most Stephen King films/books fall into this category too.

Yes films have been minging .... but imagine holywood versions will be set in New York and unrecognisable from books. Read them and forget watching....

I have read all the books and watched all the films and although I think the books will always be better than any film adaptation I didn't think the swedish version was too bad. I don't think I will be watching to american/english version if it ever happens though. Think it will be too hollywood.

Got round to seeing the Hollywood version today and thoroughly enjoyed it, of course as a film of a book has limitations especially as the book has such welll developed characters. But it is well worth seeing and amazingly they even shot some of it in Sweden! Rooney Mara is more convincing than Daniel Craig too, plus it makes you want to read book again to see how much artistic licence they used.

Tilly Teckel Guest

I've just read the books yet again and found myself wondering what would have happened next if Stieg Larssen hadn't passed away. Personally I imagine some sort of showdown between Lisbeth and Camilla, and also more on the reasons for the family's unusual abilities/disabilities, eg Lisbeth's intelligence/possible Aspergers, Ronald's physical strength/lack of pain sensitivity. Any other ideas??

Have seen the David Fincher version, would have liked to have seen the original first. But this was the only one available at the time, I did like it thought it was well done although I have not yet read the books. However in the context of film I thought it was good, visually it was well done and a good cast too. Should like to read the books to get more of the back story.
    "Or perhaps they had invisible writing unknown to ordinary trolls"