Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: William Smith of Thurso

Default William Smith of Thurso

I have the marriage cetificate of Isabella Smith who married Thomas Rees on 24th September 1848 in Lambeth London. On the certificate the surname was Gow Smith and her father was William Gow Smith and the witness her sister Jane Smith. She was born in Thruso Caithness. I traced the 1841 census for William Smith born abt 1791 address Pennyland Parish number 41.
    Could anyone help me with where I can go from here? I was thinking of visiting Thurso to find more information. Is this a good idea and Where would I start?

thanks for any help

Maureen
    Last edited by maureen43; 28-Apr-11 at 15:17.

I found a William Smith married Margaret swany Paterson 15/06/1820 Thurso and there children were
    Donald McLeod Smith b 10/04/1821 Thurso
    Alexander paterson Smith b 04/11/1822 Thurso
    David Smith b11/06/1824 Thurso
    Jane williamson Smith b 11/06/1824 Thurso (twin)
    George Smith b23/01/1826 Thurso
    Isabella waters Smith b 02/02/1828 Thurso
    William Smith b 02/02/1828 Thurso (twin)
    Colin mckay Smith b 12/03/1832 Thurso
    i could not find the Gow in any.
    Last edited by cuthill; 28-Apr-11 at 23:37.

This is from the MI records for Thurso St Peter’s Church.
    Church Interior
    (Broken – set in wall). Lt Wm Smith 78th Regt Foot, afterwards staff officer of pensioners Thurso district, tacksman Pennyland and Wolfburn this par, magistrate this town, elder of church, interr this aisle 6.9.1845, 58 _____widow Margt Swany Pa__(broken) da of Alex and __(Broken) d 25 Regent Street__(Broken) 5.4.1867__(broken). ( NB grandparents of Sir William Smith founder of Boys Brigade.

From the Old Parish Register
    15 June 1820 At Gordonbush Parish Of Clyne Lieut Wm Smith Half Pay 78th Reg At Thurso To Miss Margt Swany Patterson Second Daughter Of Alex Patterson Esq At Pennyland . Witness Gabriel Reed Esq At Gordonvale and Mr William Robeson Brora.

You will find Margaret and her son William in the 1851 census in Thurso but they are not there in 1861.

Margarets parents Alexander Paterson and Jean Williamson were married in Thurso 5th October 1793. Alexander is described as a merchant. Jean resided at Banniskirk in Halkirk,

Re Gow it may have been an addition for the occasion. I had a relative who was a railway worker . On his daughter's marriage certificate he was a "landed proprietor" but a few years later on his death certificate he was an ordinary railway worker again !

Hope this will be of interest to you

Rosemary

Further to my post I have just found this also from St Peter's Church

TS Alex Paterson 21.11.1824 62, w Jane Williamson 29.6.1843 72, fa Geo Paterson 15.8.1823 95; Eliz Waters 19.8.1836 72.

In the OPR records, George Paterson is married to Margaret Swany. Elizabeth may be wife no 2 or ??

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Skea View Post
    This is from the MI records for Thurso St Peter’s Church.
    Church Interior
    (Broken – set in wall). Lt Wm Smith 78th Regt Foot, afterwards staff officer of pensioners Thurso district, tacksman Pennyland and Wolfburn this par, magistrate this town, elder of church, interr this aisle 6.9.1845, 58 _____widow Margt Swany Pa__(broken) da of Alex and __(Broken) d 25 Regent Street__(Broken) 5.4.1867__(broken). ( NB grandparents of Sir William Smith founder of Boys Brigade.
    This stone is white Italian marble and was one of the ones I found vanalised a few years back. Though it had been damaged before with spray paint believe it or not the ones who finished it off for good was 3 nine-year-old girls! I have some photographs of it before the rest of the stone was broken.

Thank you Rosemary. The info was a great help. I have a problem finding the marriage of George Paterson and Margaret Swany in the OPR. I have been on Scottish People. Free reg and Family search. Can you give me the details or where I can find the info.

Quote Originally Posted by maureen43 View Post
    Thank you Rosemary. The info was a great help. I have a problem finding the marriage of George Paterson and Margaret Swany in the OPR. I have been on Scottish People. Free reg and Family search. Can you give me the details or where I can find the info.
    Their marriage is not recorded ( at least I couldn't find it ) but this birth is : 16 Oct 1757 , Margaret, F,father George Paterson mother Margaret Swannie, in Thurso. Witness Alexander Patterson and Wm Bruce.

Rosemary

This stone has been very helpful. Could you please fill in the missing parts from your photographs. I visited Thurso a few weeks ago it is a great sadness that this kind of vandalisum goes on and the grave yard has to be locked up.