Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Puffins

Default Puffins

anybody know were i could get some nice photos of a puffins i dont mind traveling

The cliffs between the lighthouse and the Stacks of Duncansby near John O' Groats, would be a good place to try. I've seen quite a lot there over the years.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Clett Rock, Drumholistan ,it's about a half mile walk from the main road but there were no Puffins there a week ago although they should arrive very shortly, Dunnet Head is another good place, go to the view point just below the car park and look towards the west.

Where is Clett Rock, Drumholistan ???

Follow the A836 out through Reay and park at the layby on the Caithness - Sutherland border. Walk straight out to the coast and you'll see a pointy rock with loads of puffin burrows on it. Walking down the left side of the gully gives you an easier walk out (there's a track), walking down the right side will get you closer to the puffins.

A mass movement was recorded on the 25th at Duncansby Head and they were bacl along along the coast this week. So whilst the Royal wedding was on I was half hanging off a cliff trying to get some photos.

They are so funny
    Away with the birds

Brilliant pic kas. Thanks for sharing.

What a great photo Kas!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    Follow the A836 out through Reay and park at the layby on the Caithness - Sutherland border. Walk straight out to the coast and you'll see a pointy rock with loads of puffin burrows on it. Walking down the left side of the gully gives you an easier walk out (there's a track), walking down the right side will get you closer to the puffins.
    You're right - had some friends yesterday go look and they saw 'em..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."