Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Console Repairs

Default Console Repairs

I have seen a lot of activity recently with faulty consoles, just wondered if i set up a service to repair consoles would anyone be interested? I have experience with consoles so I know what I'm doing.

If i asked you to fix a 360 with a faulty drive, how much would you charge to fix it ??

Thnx
    STAY IN TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    If i asked you to fix a 360 with a faulty drive, how much would you charge to fix it ??

Thnx
    I think with xbox and ps3 if u play with them all the time they have a short life about 2 years there not built to last and parts will be dear i think thats deliberate so u buy another consule.
    If u have a faulty disc drive you might be just as well buy another consule and strip down your old consule and sell the working parts on ebay and put the money towards a new consule.
    The secand hand working parts on a games consule will had value because its not so easy to get parts especialy if it s the main board?

Thnx
    Due to the cost of the drives for xbox's probably around £50, as 'EDDIE' said, your probably better off selling the console on ebay. Could i ask by reffering to could you tell me what power supply your xbox uses and what dashboard it is on? (Can be done by looking in the console settings)

£50 is pretty steep to replace a drive, bearing in mind a drive will cost around £20.

As for breaking and selling the parts on ebay, i don't see that being very viable, postage plus fees, not great advice at all.

How about i buy a new laser for the drive for £7, fit it. Job done ???
    Last edited by M R; 25-Apr-11 at 01:08.
    STAY IN TUNE

£50 is pretty steep to replace a drive, bearing in mind a drive will cost around £20.

As for breaking and selling the parts on ebay, i don't see that being very viable, postage plus fees, not great advice at all.

How about i buy a new laser for the drive for £7, fit it. Job done ???
    Well my disc drive broken in my ps3 i would love to get a laser for £7 i have looked and the disk drive ranges from £50 to £60 and that doesnt include labour.
    If ure selling something on ebay its the buyer that pays postage not the seller and theres plenty people who get more satisfaction fixing it themselves rather than buying new even if in the long run its not viable to fix it thats why you will always sell used parts for a consule
    If i was getting a new consule its better to recycle tha parts in ure old consule get a bit of money rather than binning it
    If ure getting another xbox drive there is different makes of disc drive in them you have to take the faulty rom out to get the details of it so u can match it because if you dont and you get another brand you have to flash it so u can update the firmware its not just a straight swap and of u go?
    Last edited by EDDIE; 25-Apr-11 at 07:49.

Eddie I think you'll find that M R knows what he's talking about he flashed my xbox,flashed my mates and fixed another mates and the total for all that was under £50!!!So like he says a bit steep!!

Quote Originally Posted by angusk2 View Post
    Eddie I think you'll find that M R knows what he's talking about he flashed my xbox,flashed my mates and fixed another mates and the total for all that was under £50!!!So like he says a bit steep!!
    Well thats good when comes to tinkering with gadgets im always interested other peoples opinions and ideas.
    Your lucky you no someone that is decent enought to fix your consule without robbing u blind.

Quote Originally Posted by angusk2 View Post
    Piracy is a crime my friend And i agree I said £50 earlier that was a bit steep :P Can i add you on xbox live angusk2?
    Last edited by TheGregp81; 26-Apr-11 at 08:18.

@ Eddie, it's obvious that a PS3 drive is going to be expensive to fix, it is a Blue Ray player after all. I'm sure you mean well, but your advice isn't great, all i asked was how much to fix it......nxt i would have it in pieces, on ebay and make £10 if i was lucky...

Flashing Xbox's allows people to play backups of games they already own, i have many originals that are now scratched (down to the xbox!) but i can play the backup dvd... Obviously some exploit this, but no one i know does.....

Good luck Thegreg : every console owner will need one fixing at some point..just don't price yourself out of the market. :P
    STAY IN TUNE

@ Eddie, it's obvious that a PS3 drive is going to be expensive to fix, it is a Blue Ray player after all. I'm sure you mean well, but your advice isn't great, all i asked was how much to fix it......nxt i would have it in pieces, on ebay and make £10 if i was lucky...

Flashing Xbox's allows people to play backups of games they already own, i have many originals that are now scratched (down to the xbox!) but i can play the backup dvd... Obviously some exploit this, but no one i know does.....

Good luck Thegreg : every console owner will need one fixing at some point..just don't price yourself out of the market. :P
    Yea :P Thanks for the advice, you seem to know a lot. If i ever need help i know where to go!

hi my sons xbox just died when my daughter put her xfactor mic in... there is power going to the brick but not console.. could you tell me if worth fixing
    thanks x

so is there power coming out of the brick..?

get a DMM and check...

if there is power going into the console and its not working it could be shagged im affraid! they are delicate things to say the least

thanks for the reply,

looks like a new xbox is required