Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Can anyone help?

Default Can anyone help?

I've just had a visit this evening from what appears to be a juvenile Blue Tit. It appeared on one of the feeders and I just managed to get a quick snap of it before it flew off.

I've downloaded the picture to my PC, and I've just noticed (I'm a bit slow) that this bird appears to be "ringed" on it's right leg.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    All the best, HR.

Question

Well Hr, I doubt very much that it's a juvenile. If it's a young un it's done very well to survive the winter conditions that we have had! Did you manage to get any of the details on the ring?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quite a number of blue tits were ringed in around Halkirk, in the last few years.

It almost certainly won't be a flying juvenile Blue Tit with a ring on just yet, they've only just started nesting this year. They will normally lay 7 to 10 eggs, but even up to 14 occasionally, incubation is usually 14 days and fledging of the nidicolous young is about 19 days. So, working that back to when she layed the first egg, that's 19 days to fledging, plus 14 days incubation, plus lets say an average of 10 days to lay 10 eggs, (1 per day). Total to one fledgling leaving the nest = 43 days or 2nd March for first egg , it's possible but extremely unlikely ? The bird you saw was probably a poorly marked adult individual, possibly a female as they are not usually so well marked as males.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    It almost certainly won't be a flying juvenile Blue Tit with a ring on just yet, they've only just started nesting this year. They will normally lay 7 to 10 eggs, but even up to 14 occasionally, incubation is usually 14 days and fledging of the nidicolous young is about 19 days. So, working that back to when she layed the first egg, that's 19 days to fledging, plus 14 days incubation, plus lets say an average of 10 days to lay 10 eggs, (1 per day). Total to one fledgling leaving the nest = 43 days or 2nd March for first egg , it's possible but extremely unlikely ? The bird you saw was probably a poorly marked adult individual, possibly a female as they are not usually so well marked as males.
    To be honest, the only reason for stating that "appears" to be a juvenile?? was that the colouring on this bird is not what I've seen in the past. ie: the bib and stripe through the eye are not black but light blue. Thanks for your help.

I did manage to get a quick photo of it: but I don't know how to post it on the org.

Quote Originally Posted by highland red View Post
    To be honest, the only reason for stating that "appears" to be a juvenile?? was that the colouring on this bird is not what I've seen in the past. ie: the bib and stripe through the eye are not black but light blue. Thanks for your help.

I did manage to get a quick photo of it: but I don't know how to post it on the org.
    Have your tried using photobucket? That's what I use to post photos on the org.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"