Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archibald Cook Sutherland-anyone connected.

Default Archibald Cook Sutherland-anyone connected.

Hi all,
    Trying to trace where in Caithness Archibald Cook Sutherland who married Barbara nee Munro came from, or for that matter all Archibald Cook Sutherlands.

They had a son George Alexander Sutherland who at the age of 29 married an Annie Lavin Knudsen aged 24 on 27 March 1902 in Christchurch New Zealand.
    Thanks.
    Dianne

Thumbs up

Dianne, have you tried going to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, you can access births from 1855 to 1902, marriages from 1855 to 1930, census records 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and deaths from 1855 to 1955

Default Archibald Cook Sutherland -anyone connected.

Hi Robbain...thanks for all the details on Scotlands People...will have a looksee. Was hoping someone might know where the Cook came in as it seems to have been handed down as a middle name.
    Cheers Di

Default Archibald Cook Sutherland-anyone connected

Anyone know any other connections to this Archibald Cook Sutherland born 17 March 1842 in Latheron, Caithness.

Father: David Sutherland born bef. 1800
    Mother: Catherine Taylor born 1800 in Latheron, Caithness

Archibald was a minister of the Free Church and in 1881 was a resident at the Free Church Manse in Little Dunkeld, Perth, Scotland.

His wife: Helen Virginia Murray born in Belize, Central America, Hondoras.
    They married 4 Sept. 1872 in Weem, Perth, Scotland.

Also does anyone know
    one of Archibalds ancestors with the surname Cook.
    Here's hoping. Believe a Margaret Stokes has a tree which he may be in but can't contact her.
    Thanks Di

I'm having the same problem. An aunt named Catherine Cook Stewart was born 8 Dec 1836, baptized 25 Jan 1837 in Wick. We cant figure where the name Cook comes from. She didnt continue using her middle name, nor do we find her children or grandchildren carrying on the middle name Cook. Odd that.
    Our only thought is that her father was in the 72nd Reg of Foot from Caithness, and maybe he honored a good friend by using the name? It takes a stretch of imagination.

mackay Guest

Default cook sutherland

Last edited by mackay; 08-Sep-06 at 18:46.

Hi htwood,
    It's quite possible "Cook" is after a friend etc. frustrating isn't it. In my case the name "Cook" has been handed down for a few generations.
    Thanks for sharing & good luck with yours, Dianne

Brilliant MacKay.
    Rootschat was mine but world connect marvellous...thank you so much.
    Only thing I can't understand is I sent an email Milamba@Milamba.com & it came straight back. Would really love to get in touch with Margaret Stokes.
    Any suggestions.
    Cheers, Dianne

mackay Guest

Default stokes

http://www.milamba.com/

Try the email addresses on this site.

Hi again MacKay,
    Have received a reply stating that is her non de plume. Have written back & eagerly awaiting reply.
    Thankyou, Tiffaney

There was a Cook family of ministers came from the isle of Arran to the north of Scotland in I think the late 18th. Century. They are mentioned in Memorbilia Domestica or Parish Life in the North of Scotland by Donald Sage minister of Kildonan and the whole book has been on the Org. so should be recoverable.

Donald Sage was my great great grandfather and his line goes back to either Finlay or Archibald Cook who was minister at Reay. His gigantic snuff box sits in the new manse. Cannuck the prolific org correspondent did a locum ministry there recently before returning to Canada. One of these Cooks is buried in the Foyers, Loch Ness side cemetery because my father stood his stone back up again a number of years ago. I need to freshen up on this history though and will dig out the old family tree.

Alex. Sutherland

Thanks for your fascinating info. Alex. Great to have some more leads. re Cook family. Would greatly appreciate you digging out the old family tree may even lead me to to my William & Christina Sutherland as I note your surname is also Sutherland. Will google Memorbilia Domestica etc in the meantime.
    regards,
    Dianne

A monument to Rev Finlay Cook stood in front of the Free Church at Shebster (In Reay parish about 2 miles East of the village) The church closed and fell int disrepair. However the monument was recently moved to the Free Church in Millbank Road in Thurso. I will try to get a photograph posted on Caithness.org.
    Hope this will be of interest to you good people out there.

Hello Jimag...I for one would love to see a photograph of Rev Finlay Cook.
    Thanks so much for the offer
    Dianne

Quote Originally Posted by Errogie View Post
    There was a Cook family of ministers came from the isle of Arran to the north of Scotland in I think the late 18th. Century. They are mentioned in Memorbilia Domestica or Parish Life in the North of Scotland by Donald Sage minister of Kildonan and the whole book has been on the Org. so should be recoverable.
    Finlay and Archibald have chapters in "Ministers and Men in the Far North" as well.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/mam.htm

Hi Fred, thanks for the site you gave me. Unfortunately have tried several times but been unable to access it. Downloads to 24 per cent & that's it.
    Dianne

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Hi Fred, thanks for the site you gave me. Unfortunately have tried several times but been unable to access it. Downloads to 24 per cent & that's it.
    Dianne
    That is strange, I've tested it with the same web browser you use and it's working fine here.

I've put my work files at http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/cook.txt , very basic but will download in no time.

Thank you Fred. Dowloaded in a jiffy.
    Extremely interesting reading..much appreciated.
    regards, Dianne

With middle names when the obvious isn't there it is hard to know where they got the name from. My father carries the same name as his father,so when doing the family tree my cousin and I were determined to find out who the "Davie Gilruth" part of their names were in the family. Well it turned out that the doc that delivered my grandfather his name was DAVIE GILRUTH!!!!
    And my dad was the lucky son to carry that forward! hahaha

Now onto the "Cook" part of your enquiry. Don't know if you are familiar or not with genesreunited but I have been in contact with a James Cook who has his Cook family all the way back to 1800 starting with an James Cook who married a Helen Mowat. Their son James Cook circa 1835 married a Margaret Sutherland. He does have other Cook woman listed but no marraige mates listed for them if they did get married. In contact with James Cook may help you find out more about your Cook relatives. Most of his came from Stroma area of Caithness.

Hope this helps.
    Jackie

Hi Jackie,
    Renewed my sub for genesreunited a couple of days ago so will send James Cook a message. Especially interested when you mentioned Margaret Sutherland as she may even be the sister of my Christina Sutherland b. 1838, Caithness who is another mystery. Christina called one of her sons William Archibald Cook McLauchlan & that name has been handed down.
    Thanks very much...may be a bigger lead to solving several queries..plse...plse.
    regard, Dianne
    ps didn't you do well finding out about the Doc!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast