Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Buddleia

Question Buddleia

Can anyone tell me whether the flowers which have turned brown should be removed?

Thanks!

yes, deadheading will prolong the blooming season.

Default buddleia

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass View Post
    yes, deadheading will prolong the blooming season.
    With Buddleia?????????????

Question

So what do I do?

I've had luck with deadheading my buddleia. By snipping off the brown flowers, the shrub is encouraged to flower again.

At the end of the flowering season, I think it is ok to cut it right back to about 12" tall for the winter and it will grow back 6' tall with gusto for next year.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thumbs up

Wil
    Quote Originally Posted by sassylass View Post
    I've had luck with deadheading my buddleia. By snipping off the brown flowers, the shrub is encouraged to flower again.
    Thanks! Will get the secateurs out!

It has been beautiful to see all the butterflies on the Buddleia on the nice sunny days.

Default buddleia

The flowers come on last years growth, same as a honeysuckle, and raspberries.

Default buddleia

Just read an article in Gardening Questions and Answers, to cut buddleia half back just now and then further back in the spring. Seemingly this stops it swaying in the wind and it will not suffer so much damage.

Default Cutting back

Yes, cut back now and again in spring. This will ensure that next year's blooms are all over the plant and not a straggly bush with flowers at the top.

They are easy to take cuttings from too - cut off at a heel and stick in the ground !

Thanks for the advice both.

However my Buddleia is in the first year of growth so I think just a good cutting back in Spring should be okay as it isn't that tall?

I have a big buddlea bush and I cut it back twice, once a good bit befor eit blooms, just as it's getting going and then to dead head it again later in the year