Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading Group Discussion - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Question

Did you ever get the impression that you're flogging a dead horse?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Tilly Teckel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on that cryptic remark? Or would you care to join us?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post

No. Just taking enjoyment from a favourite past-time. Why don't you read the book and join in?

5 or 6 people had responded positively to my previous thread about starting an org reading group, and yes, I had hoped that they would have posted on this thread in response to the reading group questions, but for a first time it's not bad, I've enjoyed reading TillyTeckels responses to the questions thus far and the thread has had 147 views or thereabouts, so hopefully some folks are enjoying it.

Anyway, more questions to follow shortly. Sorry I've not had time to answer them all myself just yet... but hopefully I will manage to do a bit more tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post

What would be worse - not getting your child back or getting back a child who no longer called you Mum?
    Heaven forbid, I can't imagine how traumatic that would be, your own kids estranged from you. I was so focussed on the question about them going away, I hadn't given any thought to how it would be for the kids coming home again. It's enough to make you cry.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyChick View Post

What did you think of Elizabeth's relationship with Christian? Was it wrong of her to love a Nazi?
    I find this question easy to answer. If people found comfort in the arms of their "enemy", then so be it. At a time of such destruction, anger and hatred, isn't it an absolute marvel that love can still grow?

Who was your favorite character in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?
    It has to be Isola, she just stood apart from the rest of the characters. There was Isola, with her parrot and red motorbike complete with sidecar, squinty eye, crazy potions and mad woman hair. She was a breath of fresh air, and breathed a huge amount of humour into the book. What sealed it for me was the "Detection Notes of Mis Isola Pribby". Her description of a hiccup cure, and search for carved hearts in trees had me laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post

[B]Who was your favorite character in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

Elizabeth's ultimate demise displays all her best attributes - her courage, her love for others, her strength of character and her innate 'goodness'.

[/SIZE]
    So true, and so sad.

Default 8. Did you think books have the power to lift people out of their circumstances? ..

Do you think books have the power to lift people out of their circumstances? What role did books play in the lives of the Guernsey Literary Society?

Default 9. Did any parts make you laugh out loud? Did any parts make you cry?

Did any parts make you laugh out loud? Did any parts make you cry?

Default 10. Rate the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on a scale of 1 to 5.

Rate The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on a scale of 1 to 5.

Tilly Teckel Guest

Sorry for taking so long to get to the rest of the questions - been super busy!

Do you think books have the power to lift people out of their circumstances? What role did books play in the lives of the Guernsey Literary Society?

Speaking from personal experience, I have always been able to rely on a good book to transport me to a different place/time/world and there have been times when I have been so grateful for that. I think I could endure an awful lot if I had access to books (and music!). Books can also inspire and fire your imagination and desire to do more with your life. So, yes, I firmly believe that books have the power to lift people out of their circumstances. Of course, I have never been in the situation that the Guernsey islanders were during WWII. Books to them seemed to be a real escape from the horrors of real life. They gave the islanders something to focus on other than the war, they sparked debate, laughter and tears. I loved reading of people who were strangers to books discovering them for the first time. They found writers describing emotions they themselves felt but maybe could not express. It's an amazing moment when you read something and think "My God, that's how I feel"; suddenly you're not alone any more. Books give so much and ask so little in return.

Tilly Teckel Guest

Mostly anything involving Isolda made me laugh out loud! Her foray into reading 'head bumps' and her comments on the people she 'felt' were particularly funny. I just loved the fact that she was unintentionally funny and so unselfconscious. Descriptions of Kit's early interactions with Julia made me smile too - they were so well-drawn. I have a son who was very wary of strangers when he was that age and she reminded me so much of him. How is it that cute young children can look like seasoned private detectives when checking out a newcomer?

Any significant mention of the children who had been evacuated brought a tear to my eye; it's impossible not to put yourself in the parents' shoes. The part that really got me sobbing though was Elizabeth's tragic end. Well-written and heart-wrenching.

Tilly Teckel Guest

I loved the book but ... some characters were vivid whereas others appeared to have been sketched. The story, although tragic in places, was ultimately enchanting. However, I did feel as if I had to suspend disbelief to go along with some things. Would Julia really have left her life in London to take on a child and pursue a relationship with a man she really hardly knew? I was so glad that she did because I was praying for the fairytale and I did go along with it wholeheartedly but it wasn't the most realistic ending! I guess that's part of the charm of the book though - the islanders are delightful, daffy, lovable people with good hearts and we want them to have a happy ever after. Heck, they've earned it! If you can read this book with an open mind and an optimistic outlook you'll love it too. I think I'd give it 4 out of 5

BRING ON THE NEXT BOOK!

Sorry for delay in my reply Tilly! Has been hectic times! Will try get my questions answered by the end of the weekend, and then we can start a new thread with suggestions for the next book! xx

Tilly Teckel Guest

No bother! Looking forward to it - hope a few others join our two-woman band!

I'll hopefully be joining in this time too!!

Tilly Teckel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jlumsden View Post
    I'll hopefully be joining in this time too!!
    Excellent - the more, the merrier

Oh yes! It was their interest in reading books which brought them together from many different walks of life, these people who wouldn't otherwise have become friends. Their love of books helped forge their friendships and loyalties to one another and by meeting to discuss the books, they would, for a time, escape from the daily trials of living in such difficult times.

For sure they did.

I laughed out loud when Isola took Mr Lennoux's red motorcycle and sidecar for a test drive (page 209). Her at the wheel, and the parrot along for the ride. I was not surprised that she received a fine!

I cried bucket loads when Kit finally unveiled her box of treasures to Juliet (page 226). To me it was just like Kit had made her decision and was accepting, without a doubt, that Juliet and her needed each other and she trusted Juliet more than anyone else in the world, they way you would trust your mother. At that moment she changed from being an orphan, to being part of a family again. Quote; "I couldn't (sleep), I was too happy planning the rest of our lives". So beautiful and full of hope is that sentence, it still brings tears to my eyes.

4/5 from me.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, didn't want it to end. I loved the style of writing, and am vexed that Mary Ann Shaffer did not live long enough to write a sequel to this book, as it would have been good to read more about the characters and their lives post-war. I would have loved to see how Juliet, Dawsey and Kit grew as a family and hear yet more entertaining adventures of Isola and the other members of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

First Class Book!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12