Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Reading Group Discussion - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reading Group Discussion - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Reading Group Discussion
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows)

For a very brief intro/background to our reading group/rules, etc please see:
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...oup-on-the-org

This reading group discussion is open to everyone who has read the book.

I have some set questions ready, and will introduce these on this thread over the course of the next few hours/days. Hope everyone enjoys taking part!

Default 1. Did you like how The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was written as

Did you like how The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was written as a series of letters? What are the pros and cons of this format?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyChick View Post
    Did you like how The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was written as a series of letters? What are the pros and cons of this format?
    Well, I think this is the first time I have ever read a book written as letters, so it took a bit of getting used to. However, once I got to about Page 16 (the tea pot incident) I was hooked!

Pro's
    I enjoyed having a direct insight to the thoughts of and stories behind each of the different characters.
    The mixture of serious and casual letters/telegrams. You would find yourself having just read through a grim letter and in need of a lift, and there it would be, a short flirtatious/lighthearted telegram that would cheer you up again.
    The author was good at building a pitcure of Guernsey during the occupation, in a way that made you want to read more, all the while, learning little snippets of history along the way.

Con's
    I would have liked to see a little more narrative/descriptive about some things, for example, just off the top of my head, there were brief mentions of Todt workers throughout the letters, but I would have liked to have read more about this.
    Because the book solely consists of letters, this has made it short at only 240 pages and you could easily devour it in one sitting. But it deserves more attention than this, so I had to drip feed it to myself over 3 weeks.

Default 2. How would you characterize Juliet? Did you like her?

How would you characterize Juliet? Did you like her?

Default 3. Did you want Juliet to end up with Sidney, Mark Reynolds or Dawsey? Did you ....

Did you want Juliet to end up with Sidney, Mark Reynolds or Dawsey?

Did you suspect why a romantic relationship with Sidney was not possible?

Default 4. What did you learn about World War II from this book?

What did you learn about World War II from this book?

Please note - I have a total of 10 questions for discussion, however I'll give time first to allow you folks a chance to enjoy the first 4 before moving on (either tomorrow or Sunday all being well).

Did you want Juliet to end up with Sidney, Mark Reynolds or Dawsey?

Did you suspect why a romantic relationship with Sidney was not possible?
    At first I thought Sidney was the obvious candidate. I thought he would come to sweep her off her feet, confess undying love and have a set-to with Mark Reynolds. I pictured something like a girly fight (like in Bridget Jone's Diary - the fight at the fountain - LOL).

I did not guess the real reason why Sidney would not have in interest in Juliet. If anything I did just wonder once or twice if the only barrier to a possible relationship between Juliet and Sidney would be that she saw him like an older brother, and him seeing her as the annoying little sister.

I knew she wouldn't settle for Mark Reynolds, whom I took instant dislike to! Arrogant self obsessed man who seemed to expect women to falll for his superficial charms and throw themselves at his feet. Why did he persue Juliet? She didn't exactly make it easy for him. Perhaps he was one of those types who just like the chase? I would not have been surprised had he been the cheating type.

How would you characterize Juliet? Did you like her?

For some unknown reason I found Juliet not dissimilar to Nigella Lawson! Domestic goddess? Hardly! More that she was a confident, cheeky, flirtatious and outspoken individual, who made good and proper use of the English language, and came across as a well educated but pretty mischevious. I don't know if her character physically resembled Nigella, all curves and dark bouncy curls...but I think her personality seemed to fit very well.

At first I thought she was a little self indulgent, and slightly annoying. However as time went on, and I quickly learned that her heart was in the right place, I thought she was simply fabulous!