Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: shrubs

Default shrubs

is there anywhere north of inverness that has a good selection on shrubs? we're landscaping part of the garden and would like some butterfly friendly plants and medium-sized shrubs. not really impressed with the selection at homebase or castletown. thanks for your help.

Have sent you a PM
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

thank you beat bug

Don't think anywhere up here has their full range of plants in yet.It is still a bit early to plant shrubs in Caithness.I would look around in another month or so.

Have you tried the garden centre at Glengolly, not the cheapest but they usually have a good selection and knowledgeable staff.
    The centre at Lybster is also very good and as all their plants are selected to be suitable to the area.
    Last edited by Kenn; 28-Mar-11 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshire lassie View Post
    is there anywhere north of inverness that has a good selection on shrubs? we're landscaping part of the garden and would like some butterfly friendly plants and medium-sized shrubs. not really impressed with the selection at homebase or castletown. thanks for your help.
    I'd ;ove to know if you find somewhere. I'm not impressed with the choice up here either, I tried the Tomatin one last year but was gobsmacked at the mess of the place, the wasted plants and the ridiculous prices.
    I propagate any shrubs I have but would love to know of somewhere else that may have some.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

A friend recommended this company to me. yorkshire lassie you don't say where you are so it can be difficult to offer worthwhile advice. The trick is to speak with as many gardeners as you can in your own area then you'll find out what successes and failures they have had. If you see something interesting don't be afraid to knock on doors; most people up here will be happy to tell you how they managed to grow something.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

We've had a thread on Seed Swap, so why not a shrub and plant cuttings swap? And bulbs too?
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

I've not used them yet, but plan on buying some shrubs from here fairly soon. They charge for delivery, but the delivery charge is shown on their website
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

thanks to everyone for your advice. our plan of action is to get my parent's to bring some plants up from england when they come next week and then to visit glengolly and torrisdale tunnel nearer easter.

good idea yorkshire lassie i think i might do exactly the same thing
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate