Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick Community Boatbuilding and Rowing meeting..all welcome!

Default Wick Community Boatbuilding and Rowing meeting..all welcome!

The community of Wick is looking for people to help set up a Community Boat Building and Coastal Rowing Club. The intention is to build a St Ayles skiff within the town. On completion she will be used to compete against many other St Ayles skiffs that are already racing around the Scottish Coast, for fitness training and just fun trips on the Caithness coast. Their nearest local rivals at the moment are at Helmsdale, where a build is already underway, and Hoy, where a kit has now been ordered.

All in the community of Wick are invited to participate. No experience necessary, just a willingness to join in. Any age or fitness level, male or female. The first meeting, for anyone interested in community boat building and/or rowing:

Monday 4th April at 8.00pm at Nethercliff Hotel, Wick

No pressure to join, just come along and we'll go over whats involved!

for more information tel Lee on 07525 901625
    email: wickcoastalrowing@btinternet.com or PM me on here

Visit our (new and very basic) website at www.wickcoastalrowingclub.org

Many thanks.

Hi. I am an older lady and dont know if i am fit enough for rowing, especially at competition standard. I would like to attend the meeting but dont know if I would take it any further. Would I still be welcome? Just want to satisfy my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsK View Post
    Hi. I am an older lady and dont know if i am fit enough for rowing, especially at competition standard. I would like to attend the meeting but dont know if I would take it any further. Would I still be welcome? Just want to satisfy my curiosity.
    You will certainly be welcome, Mrs K.
    The intention is to form a club that caters for all levels. Anyone just wanting to row for fun would be more than welcome. No previous experience would be assumed, I would say that we'd be looking into getting to getting a programme together for complete beginners once we get organised.

Come along to our first meeting if you have time. No pressure to join!

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 4th

Friends of mine have been closely involved with the Portobello boat, and it has become such a great focus for the community, right from day one. They are now building their second boat, so it's obviously all going well. Wishing you all the best with this new venture, and maybe see you at Porty some day!

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 4th
    Likewise Ducati. Should be good.

Had a brief chat with a reporter from The North of Scotland newspaper group yesterday. Hopefully we'll get a bit of a writeup in the JOG Journal or the CC next week.

The website looks great BTW

Sounding good!
    Just back from a week of missionary work in the states so catching up but looking forward to the 4th!

Well, I've just returned from a weekend in Ullapool looking at the three boats that are 'on the go' over there. Got a run out in one of the boats - the 'Ulla' and got to talk with the people involved in the building process as wel as the rowers.

Very interesting stuff and it's really got me thinking that we can do this in Wick.

This Monday night 8:00 Nethercliffe Hotel. Be there if you're interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ulla.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	8893  
    Last edited by northener; 03-Apr-11 at 20:53.

If we can build the boat to that sort of finish we could be very proud indeed.