Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Harper family searcher

Default Harper family searcher

Hi everyone,new to this so hope we get this right!
    We have just started looking into the Harper family history and would be very interested in hearing from anyone with information as we have come unstuck!

We are interested in any information about Francis James Harper (called Frank?) born Wick 1891 (auctioneer and fish merchant) who married Agnes Sutherland in 1919 (schoolteacher). We believe he may have gone abroad, possibly America? We understand he died but don't know whether this was abroad or whether he ever came back to Wick.
    Thanks
    Genealogy Newbies!

Here's hoping a few more details will help, we are sure there must be some relatives around the Caithness area. Thanks...Any memories would be great!
    This is what we think we know so far:
    1. Francis James Harper (Frank) was a fish merchant/auctioneer in Wick. He was one of 5 children : James Edward who died at 5months) 16-11-1891, Ally, Herbert who was killed in WW1 on 15-6-1915 and Peggy. They were the children of James Edward Harper (once Lord Provost of Wick) and Margaret Ann Waters.
    2. Francis (Frank) married Agnes Sutherland on 28-10-1919 they had two children James Edward Harper (Hamish) and Jane Swanson Harper (Jenny). We believe Frank left Agnes quite early in their marriage in order to find his fortune in (USA?) we lose track of him here but understand he has died but where we don't know.
    3. Agnes then went to London we believe, (not sure what she did or whether she took Jenny with her) we do know that Hamish was left behind in Wick and was brought up by Daniel Sutherland (Agnes's brother)
    4. Agnes did come back to Wick later on and became Headmistress at Archiestown school retiring in 1963.

Agnes Alexander Harper died 21 Aug 1980 at Fleming Hospital, Aberlour age 82, I couldn't find the death of her husband. I am not related just looked it up while at Register House.

I don't know if you've seen the other thread on this site, but there is one titled "Harper" started by eric41. It might be worth having a look through that line of messages to see if there are any links to be found there.

Steven

Thank you so much for taking the time to find this out.Your efforts are much appreciated.Have a good weekend!

Thank you..."Eric" has been in touch so hopefully we will get more leads. Have a good weekend.
    Last edited by ngc4725; 20-Mar-11 at 14:17.

In the US Social Security Death Index, I found the following:
    Social Security Death Index
    about Francis Harper

Name:Francis HarperSSN:471-10-1399Last Residence:55792 Virginia, Saint Louis, Minnesota, United States of AmericaBorn:5 Aug 1891Died:Jan 1978State (Year) SSN issued:Minnesota (Before 1951)
    I don't know if the birth date matches or not but it was the closest I could come to your Francis James Harper b. 1891.

Good Luck!

Bonnie

Hello Bonnie. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out. Unfortunately the Francis you found is not the right one. Our Francis James Harper was born on 12th January 1895 in Pultney Town and was married in Wick to Agnes Sutherland from "Balcraggie" West Banks Ave Wick on October 28th 1919. Francis's residence is noted as 53 Argyle Square,Wick.
    We are still to track him down!
    Best wishes from Aberdeen!

Good morning
    Re Francis, this is what I show
    Francis James Harper
    Parents
    James Edward and Margaret Gunn
    Grandparents
    Donald Harper and Hanet Heddie
    Great GP
    William Harper and Elizabeth Miller
    GGP
    David Harper and Elizabeth Miller
    GGGP
    Donald Harper and Margaret Sutherland

GGGGP
    John Harper and Christian Bremner

Eric

Good Evening Eric
    I am afraid we have to hold our hands up at being "numpties" and very new to all this genealogy stuff. I see we have made a mistake in our reading of a marriage transcript, we are indeed referring to the same Margaret whose surname we read incorrectly as Waters but is indeed Gunn as you have identified. You have given us a fantastic start.
    Our link to the tree ...Francis James Harper is the GP of my husband Irvin Harper. Not sure whether you are interested in such a recent "branch"! Where do you connect to this tree?
    We are still searching for more details of Francis, do you have a date and place of death by any chance?
    Thank you taking the time to provide us with such detailed information. People have been so kind and helpful.
    Sarah & Irvin

Quote Originally Posted by ngc4725 View Post
    Hi everyone,new to this so hope we get this right!
    We have just started looking into the Harper family history and would be very interested in hearing from anyone with information as we have come unstuck!

We are interested in any information about Francis James Harper (called Frank?) born Wick 1891 (auctioneer and fish merchant) who married Agnes Sutherland in 1919 (schoolteacher). We believe he may have gone abroad, possibly America? We understand he died but don't know whether this was abroad or whether he ever came back to Wick.
    Thanks
    Genealogy Newbies!
    I have a Francis James Grant Harper b 1906 son of David Harper and Margaret Ann Grant m 1886.
    He died 1984 British Columbia

Hello and thanks! People have been so kind and helpful.
    I don't believe we have the same Francis as his parents were James Edward and Margaret Gun.
    Are you Harper family related?
    Regards
    Sarah & Irvin