Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wild stuff

Default Wild stuff

Take one five acre field with three rockyish outcrops, one with a well at the base........a kinda younger sibling to the Brethren Well......... and looking out at the Beatrice and them wind turbines.........and a couple of white settlers (one Scottish with a Caithness mother...honest!) who would like to plant local trees/wild flowers (weeds to the uninitiated).

We know WHERE to get seeds/plug plants etc....but we don't know what to get that won't be horrendously out of place in Caithness.

Not talking about garden area, btw.that will be English country garden(with a high wall! ).........but parts of the land that aren't suitable for grazing.

We have lists and lists....and lists..........but no chance of getting them all..........so need pointed in the right direction, given that what we see described in all the books we've bought, rarely look anything like we see on the verges!

Hi, Oddquine.

I do remember one of those Saturday gardening programmes (invloved a helicopter, I think) where they went to a Scottish garden that had been similar to yours. It was windswept, overlooking the sea adn yet they had created a beautiful garden in keeping with the region. Might be worth searching the 'net for any reference to it.

Good luck.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Default Wild Stuff

listen to Beechgrove Potting Shed on Sunday at noon on Radio Scotland. They have a phone in about gardening, or you can get in touch with them by email. Phone number at that time is 0500929500

The programme comes from Aberdeen, so they appreciate northern conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Hi, Oddquine.

I do remember one of those Saturday gardening programmes (invloved a helicopter, I think) where they went to a Scottish garden that had been similar to yours. It was windswept, overlooking the sea adn yet they had created a beautiful garden in keeping with the region. Might be worth searching the 'net for any reference to it.

Good luck.

The flying gardener on uk tv style
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I've had a few old gardens dotted about Caithness and one thing that's quite common is wild yellow poppies, not sure of there exact name but they spread like mischief but last a long time and look lovely in a wild setting. You can also just pull out stragglers and have them in clumps. In fact this year and last I collected all the seed from mine and have a lot of it so if you want some your welcome. Not sure if this is sort of thing you mean but thought I'd just tell you anyway.