Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bruce/oag/mowat

Default Bruce/oag/mowat

Many thanks to all those who have published info to help new researchers.

I am however still struggling to fill gaps in parts of my family history.

I cannot trace my g-grandfather George Bruce until his marriage in 1883. He must have been born 1859-ish. His parents were John Bruce (Policeman) in Breadalbane Terrace, (deceased when George married) and Jessie Mowat, who must be the daughter of George Mowat (Teacher) of Canisbay. None of them appear in any Scottish record I can find except George's marriage record until Jessie re-appears in Thurso in the 1891 census, dying in Thurso in 1898. By this time John is referred to as a Police Sergeant.

I wonder if he and his young family went south of the border between 1859 and the 1861, and John died there.

George is recorded as a baker in Bank St. marrying Davidina Oag in 1883. The daughter of their son George was the Isobel Bruce killed in the Bank Row bombing.

I am wondering whether anyone out there can help me!

Many thanks

Cool Jessie Mowat

Hi there i just come across your thread your Jessie Mowat born 1826 is my grgr Grandfather James Mowat born 1822 sister their father was george Mowat born 1791 their mother was Janet smith and lived in Westkey, James Mowat married Diana Donaldina calder and ended up in New-Zealand they lived and died in Dunedin New-Zealand.
    I hope this helps you Annie

vfranz,

In the 1861 Census for England there is a possible matching family. The details are as follows...

23 St Anne's Court, Westminster, St Anne, Middlesex, England
    John Bruce, Head, Married, Constable, Aged 38 (Born Scotland)
    Jessie Bruce, Wife, Aged 38 (Born Scotland)
    Henry Bruce, Son, Scholar, Aged 5 (Born Bloomsbury, Middlesex)
    Jessey Bruce, Daughter, Scholar, Aged 3 (Born St James, middlesex)
    George Bruce, Son, Aged 1 (Born St James, Middlesex)

I'm not 100% clear on the address, but if you pm me with your email address I can send you a copy of the census image. Also, as John and Jessie both say they were born in Scotland you should be able to find records for them assuming they were registered in the OPR (not everone was). From their ages of 38, they would have been born around 1823.

Regards,
    Steven

Annifanny
    I actually have Jessie Mowat born 1821 in Mey, so they lived in West Mey rather than West Key in 1841
    Janet Smith is one of my relatives and was from Brough in Dunnet
    FreeREG transcription
    County Caithness-shire Place Canisbay Church RegisterNumber DateOfBirth 17 Jan 1821 BaptismDate 27 Jan 1821 Forename Jessie Sex F FatherForename George MotherForename Janet FatherSurname MOWAT MotherSurname SMITH Abode Mey FatherOccupation Notes FileNumber 11442

At this point I can't confirm that she was the one who married John Bruce.

Mamie
    Last edited by Mamie_2; 03-Aug-12 at 18:12. Reason: minor corrections

My apologies - I had to give up the family research for a bit and have only just discovered your reply. I did manage to track them down, partly thanks to the Metropolitan Police records, and you are absolutely correct. It looks as if Jessie went down to London in order to marry John, but he did not live long and she brought her children back home after his death. So sorry it has taken so long thank you for the response!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgmcgregor View Post
    vfranz,

In the 1861 Census for England there is a possible matching family. The details are as follows...
    23 St Anne's Court, Westminster, St Anne, Middlesex, England
    John Bruce, Head, Married, Constable, Aged 38 (Born Scotland)
    Jessie Bruce, Wife, Aged 38 (Born Scotland)
    Henry Bruce, Son, Scholar, Aged 5 (Born Bloomsbury, Middlesex)
    Jessey Bruce, Daughter, Scholar, Aged 3 (Born St James, middlesex)
    George Bruce, Son, Aged 1 (Born St James, Middlesex)

I'm not 100% clear on the address, but if you pm me with your email address I can send you a copy of the census image. Also, as John and Jessie both say they were born in Scotland you should be able to find records for them assuming they were registered in the OPR (not everone was). From their ages of 38, they would have been born around 1823.

Regards,
    Steven

Hello Annie - well how strange! I gave up on this site since nothing seemed to be happening but found myself back here only to discover that you had replied to me last year! best wishes, Veda