Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local cafe's, tearooms etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    There again, such as complimentary chocolates or whatever, would most probably be priced the same. its the difference between 6 and half a dozen and quality
    must come first.
    No, it's the difference between 1 cupcake at £1.50, or half a dozen from Raymond MacDonald.

Quote Originally Posted by chordie View Post
    No, it's the difference between 1 cupcake at £1.50, or half a dozen from Raymond MacDonald.
    Fine you've made your point, you are very price concious when it comes to this item, obviously people differ from you and buy at the stated prices
    as the percieve value, their choice.

lol

as a special gift.....

your taking about the difference between a florists bouquet and a bunch of flowers off a filling station forecourt!
    Last edited by annemarie482; 10-Mar-11 at 18:44.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Default Cupcakes

I'm really beginning to wish i hadn't bothered posting, i had no idea this was going to open such a can of worms.

I am totally aware that the likes of Tesco and other local bakeries also produce their own version of 'cupcakes' and as with everything else if you prefer to buy cheaper products that are mass produced and use all kinds of ready made ingredients than that is totally up to you.

This is not the market i am aiming for. I prefer to shop personally for all my ingredients and choose to use local eggs and jams and natural ingredients wherever possible. I know every single ingredient that goes into my products and never use pre-mixes additives or preservatives. I can cater for special dietary requirements and can answer ingredient related questions immediately. Everything on my cakes is made from scratch right down to the flowers that decorate them. Unfortunately this takes time and as we all know money too.

Believe me compared to many similar companies out there my prices are not high.

Thats like saying you can get a print of a Picasso for 15 quid,if you want something different and a bit special you pay for it,if you want a plain queencake,then go bake some and whack some icing on it,I know which one would look nicer x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashaw1 View Post
    I'm really beginning to wish i hadn't bothered posting, i had no idea this was going to open such a can of worms.

I am totally aware that the likes of Tesco and other local bakeries also produce their own version of 'cupcakes' and as with everything else if you prefer to buy cheaper products that are mass produced and use all kinds of ready made ingredients than that is totally up to you.

This is not the market i am aiming for. I prefer to shop personally for all my ingredients and choose to use local eggs and jams and natural ingredients wherever possible. I know every single ingredient that goes into my products and never use pre-mixes additives or preservatives. I can cater for special dietary requirements and can answer ingredient related questions immediately. Everything on my cakes is made from scratch right down to the flowers that decorate them. Unfortunately this takes time and as we all know money too.

You'll find a lot of people dont bother posting in the general section anymore.Theres a few posters who turn almost every thread into a moan about something,
    Then they constantly go on about it ,having to have the last word on the subject.I dont need to mention names,just read a few of the posts at random from the general section
    and you'll soon see its the same names that crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    You'll find a lot of people dont bother posting in the general section anymore.Theres a few posters who turn almost every thread into a moan about something,
    Then they constantly go on about it ,having to have the last word on the subject.I dont need to mention names,just read a few of the posts at random from the general section
    Never a truer word spoken! Its a sad state of affairs,when people are put of posting for fear of cyber bullies!x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Best of luck with this - I think I'll wander down to The Lunch Box and get some - they look incredible!!!

Don't let anyone put you off - you are clearly an Artist and people will often try to belittle someone who has a real love of their art. I sincerely hope lots of business comes your way, and I might just have to call on you for Mother's Day!!!
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

At the moment I could not afford to buy cupcakes at £1.50 each but that is not to say I would never pay that for one if I was on my own. I have a large family and £10 would not get us very far in the cupcake department. However, I wish you every success in finding more outlets for your enterprise and I hope people will be more open to your idea of selling them on their premises. Perhaps it would be a good idea to give them a few complimentary ones and see what they think, but do be prepared for them to be bought at cost price, not your retail price. Let your own customers spread the word! People will soon come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    This last week I've noticed the same name time and time again making snide desparaging remarks about anything and everything. Most Orgers just want a little help or advice or a bit of a debate about a topical issue. The last thing they want is someone sniping at them personally and trying to belittle them. Hopefully such disagreeable people will quickly tire of their childishness and leave the forum in peace.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    This last week I've noticed the same name time and time again making snide desparaging remarks about anything and everything. Most Orgers just want a little help or advice or a bit of a debate about a topical issue. The last thing they want is someone sniping at them personally and trying to belittle them. Hopefully such disagreeable people will quickly tire of their childishness and leave the forum in peace.
    They wont tire of it,they enjoy it too much.Playing the online tough guys hiding behind an anonomous user name is what gives them their kicks.

Don't be put off by anyone trying to belittle the efforts you are making.
    I think your cakes are a great idea. At my son's wedding the main cake was accompanied by enough cupcakes for everyone to take one home with them.
    It won't be long until the summer season is here and the county fills up with visitors. Hotels and B&Bs will often need access to a confectioner/baker at short notice so it might be an idea to let them know you're ready for their business. You can email them and ask that they save your website to their favourites folder.
    Maya Angelou

Well written and well said!!!
    Not many caterers these days can lay claim to your natural born flair and skill in the work that you do.
    I would say, carry on regardless, your custom will develop with you, as experience and knowledge kicks in.

I think her cupcakes look fantastic! It's not something I could afford on a weekly on even monthly basis but as a treat a couple of times a year...absolutely! I would much rather get a few cupcakes and have them all eaten than buy a big cake and have half of it thrown out.

Also would like to say there is a world of difference between a freshly homemade cake and a mass produced supermarket one.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    Also would like to say there is a world of difference between a freshly homemade cake and a mass produced supermarket one.
    Spoken like a true cake connoisseur!
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Spoken like a true cake connoisseur!
    Absolutely!!
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Hi ashaw1, like others here I do hope you will not be put off by the snide remarks of some and as been said just look to a few posts where these certain others just can't help themselves, both gronnuck and MPH are spot on so all the very best in your business venture. G
    People who think they know it all....are especially annoying to those of us that do.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply, it is very much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12