Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local cafe's, tearooms etc.

Default Local cafe's, tearooms etc.

Most people will be aware that i started my own business last year making bespoke cupcakes which are usually given as gifts.

Recently i started making a simplified range which is currently available to buy singly in The Lunch Box in Wick. This is proving very popular and i am now being asked on a daily basis if there are other places in Caithness stocking my cakes. I have approached a number of local cafe's etc only to be told that they bake all their own goods and although my cakes are totally different are unwilling to give them a try.

Just wondered if anyone knew of any local tea rooms, cafe's or even corner shops, restaurants etc that sell baked goods (not those that are attached to a commercial bakery) that i could talk to?

Thank you!

keiss corner shop?
    i know they take in macodonalds pies and cakes etc but i wouldn't think they'd be tied to just them.
    they used to take in the lunch boxes sandwichs too.
    worth a try?!
    Last edited by annemarie482; 10-Mar-11 at 16:20.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by ashaw1 View Post
    Most people will be aware that i started my own business last year making bespoke cupcakes which are usually given as gifts.

Recently i started making a simplified range which is currently available to buy singly in The Lunch Box in Wick. This is proving very popular and i am now being asked on a daily basis if there are other places in Caithness stocking my cakes. I have approached a number of local cafe's etc only to be told that they bake all their own goods and although my cakes are totally different are unwilling to give them a try.

Just wondered if anyone knew of any local tea rooms, cafe's or even corner shops, restaurants etc that sell baked goods (not those that are attached to a commercial bakery) that i could talk to?

Thank you!
    Ever thought of doing business on line ? have a look at this http://www.bespokecupcakes.co.uk/ ( there are quite a few similar sites just google bespoke cupcakes )

Take your talents to a bigger market, all you need is a good web site and advise on on line trading / coordinating logisitics : business gateway in Wick are worth contacting as they can supply you with free consultancy so that you fully understand your requirements and there are grants available to progress a web site build

All the best !

£1.50 to £3.50 for a queen cake ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by chordie View Post
    £1.50 to £3.50 for a queen cake ?!?
    People will pay for what they see as value.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    People will pay for what they see as value.
    At £3.50 for a fancy, the purveyor is surely hoping they don't.

well she's been in business since september and business is booming!
    i know loads of people who have bought these as gifts for birthdays, new babys , xmas etc.
    and they taste as good as they look.
    the price is obviously reasonable enough for those buying!
    so good luck to the lass!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote as above : well she's been in business since september and business is booming!
    i know loads of people who have bought these as gifts for birthdays, new babys , xmas etc.
    and they taste as good as they look.
    the price is obviously reasonable enough for those buying!
    so good luck to the lass!
    This says it all, congratulations and well done to the lass, as I said people, ok discerning customers, will pay for what they see as value

This says it all, congratulations and well done to the lass, as I said people, ok discerning customers, will pay for what they see as value
    For goodness sake, are you a North American or have you just had an irony / humour bypass ?

For goodness sake, are you a North American or have you just had an irony / humour bypass ?
    No Im a Wicker, was your post supposed to be "ironic" / humourous ie "£1.50 - £3.50 a queen cake"...I dont get it ?

Awesome! £1.50 - £3.50 for something that Tesco sell for as little as 8.3p! (Source = here)

As a devoted avoider of Tesco, even I struggle to see how the good folk of Caithness are happy to pay a premium of 18 - 42 times for a non Tesco bun, when they wont pay a handful of percent more for non Tesco other things!

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Awesome! £1.50 - £3.50 for something that Tesco sell for as little as 8.3p! (Source = here)

As a devoted avoider of Tesco, even I struggle to see how the good folk of Caithness are happy to pay a premium of 18 - 42 times for a non Tesco bun, when they wont pay a handful of percent more for non Tesco other things!
    The price mentioned was lifted from a cup cake web site, details on which that I posted earlier, by a previous poster, its not the lasses prices, also the point of a web site is to sell beyond your immediate geographical area, widen the market potential and if people can sell quality goods at premier prices through the web then good on them. The only way to fight low cost large retailers is with a high value, high quality approach..surely ?

The price mentioned was lifted from a cup cake web site, details on which that I posted earlier, by a previous poster, its not the lasses prices
    Ahem....
    www.cherryblossomcupcakes.co.uk
    and
    http://www.cherryblossomcupcakes.co....actdetails.htm
    and
    http://www.cherryblossomcupcakes.co....esservices.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ashaw1 View Post

Thank you!
    If I was you, I would target the smaller businesses around such as guesthouses and hotels offering such as afternoon cream teas,
    I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who would be pleased to offer your produce to their guests,
    Or to have your cupcakes as complimentary, along with tea / coffe facilities in their guestrooms, oh so all Caithness Hospitality.
    I know, if I was still in that business, your cakes would be my number one priority for my guest's rooms, even though I bake too.

Ever thought of doing business on line ? have a look at this http://www.bespokecupcakes.co.uk/ ( there are quite a few similar sites just google bespoke cupcakes )

Take your talents to a bigger market, all you need is a good web site and advise on on line trading / coordinating logisitics : business gateway in Wick are worth contacting as they can supply you with free consultancy so that you fully understand your requirements and there are grants available to progress a web site build

All the best !
    Yes, I would agree with that, a good website is a must for today's markets.

Sorry, my mistake ! Shows there is a market for quality premier goods locally though !

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    Yes, I would agree with that, a good website is a must for today's markets.
    Thanks, there are quite a few websites doing similar stuff..great tool the web !

Something that puzzles me.... Why are buns called everything but buns these days? Cupcakes, muffins, fairy cakes, etc? When I wer't lad, anything that came in a bun case was a bun!

There again, such as complimentary chocolates or whatever, would most probably be priced the same. its the difference between 6 and half a dozen and quality
    must come first.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Something that puzzles me.... Why are buns called everything but buns these days? Cupcakes, muffins, fairy cakes, etc? When I wer't lad, anything that came in a bun case was a bun!
    "Cupcake" is the current vogue name for a queen cake. Another example of the Americanisation of the language. If it's a cupcake then you can charge more. If it's a queen cake, then it has to be 30p from Raymond MacDonald.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast