Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Entrance to new houses

Quote Originally Posted by SJR View Post
    Having just built our own house and had to put the disabled access ramp thing i think it is awfull as the only place it could go is at the front off our house and it looks rubbish, I think our house would look much better without it! Neither my partner or I need it for wheelchair access or prams etc so I was a pointless and very expensive task!!! I think it should have been our choice as to whether it went there or not!! An if at a later date we needed it it could have been added then. Ok rant over
    Nobody can stop you removing the ramp.

It's just a requirement to have it when the new build is "approved".

I know people who deliberately made theirs out of wood so that would be easier to do.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Its a bit like making all new cars have wheelchair access regardless of who is going to buy it

It's not all bad, a certain Kit Mfg, that I am a fan of, has redesigned all of there 'stock' houses to obviously include the ramp but also the interiors with something like 25% more floor area to allow for the wider corridors, doors etc and don't charge any more for them.

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post

I'll stick by my post on here, if I were ever in the position to build a new home, then I would definetley say that, " I'm paying a massive ammount of my own personal monies and I certainly do not need someone telling me how my home should be made to accept disabled people if I do not want that!!" (God forbid - if I were to be in such circumstances - then it would be up to me to arrange access for said people !)

If said "Council" wishes "MY" home to be built to their standards - then they can pay for it !!
    I see where you're coming from, but the building regulations have been here for years.

And they're generally there to meet certain standards of safety.

The inclusion of "accessibility" requirements is more modern.

If you wish to build a house, you legally have to meet these regulations. It's not a matter of choice.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Nobody can stop you removing the ramp.

It's just a requirement to have it when the new build is "approved".

I know people who deliberately made theirs out of wood so that would be easier to do.
    Hows all them disabled folks going to manage if you remove all them ramps?

I see where you're coming from, but the building regulations have been here for years.

And they're generally there to meet certain standards of safety.

The inclusion of "accessibility" requirements is more modern.

If you wish to build a house, you legally have to meet these regulations. It's not a matter of choice.

It is a matter of choice to a degree as I am informed on this forum that you can take said ramps down once paperwork formalised.

having friends who through no fault of their own need wheelchairs, I would say ramps into houses are an excellent regulation and those that disagree should try living as a "wheelchair" person for a month and see how they survive the time.

One of the problems that my friends talkabout are the number of houses with unsuitable ramps which are so steep that the person needs help to use them, how legal are those?

Also never mind the ramps to houses, how many shops in Wick are wheelchair accessible? anyone with a wheelchair tried visiting the local takle shop in Wick? How about the banks? only the Royal Bank has a ramp.

Ours has proved to be hours of fun for the kids on their bikes. Also came in handy for getting a piano in!

As for the council saving money, well it is our money so they should try and find ways to save it.
    So your doors have to be a bit wider, blimey that'll cost thousands. A ramp installed as part of a new build would only cost a couple of hundred quid extra, and out of what may be an £80 to £100k spend, is not going to screw your budget.

You don't know what's round the corner or coming in 10 or 20 years, or who else might want to buy your house. Or even you get to know someone who is disabled and they want to pop round ferra cuppa.

Once you've retired and your income is the state pension and you for, whatever reason, end up in a wheelchair. You will of course not say a word whilst you save up thousands to have your house retro fitted with new doors, rewired with repositioned switches and a ramp built. All the while your living in a tent 'cos you can't get in your house!

If yer building a new house then a wee bit of thought at design stage and you may negate the need ferra ramp.

So the Council insist you have a ramp for your new build house occupying able bodied people. The same body has council houses throughout the county with no disabled access-they no doubt take the cost of such ramps into consideration and only supply them on a "as need basis", upgrading their stock depending on demand. So why the disparity with privately owned houses where owners are forced to have them? Not only that, you can have a driveway made up of say type 2 aggregate (immpossible to push a wheelchair over) but as long as you have a ramp then theres your certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    It is a matter of choice to a degree as I am informed on this forum that you can take said ramps down once paperwork formalised.
    Yes, but to get the paperwork you need the ramp. No choice there.

No paperwork, no mortgage, no insurance etc.

The choice comes AFTER the paperwork.

- Charles de Gaulle

So the Council insist you have a ramp for your new build house occupying able bodied people. The same body has council houses throughout the county with no disabled access-they no doubt take the cost of such ramps into consideration and only supply them on a "as need basis", upgrading their stock depending on demand. So why the disparity with privately owned houses where owners are forced to have them? Not only that, you can have a driveway made up of say type 2 aggregate (immpossible to push a wheelchair over) but as long as you have a ramp then theres your certificate.
    There's no disparity David.

Any new build needs a ramp.

That goes for council, authority or private builds.

The council aren't forcing anyone to install ramps to existing properties, nor are they installing them on their own.

- Charles de Gaulle

I'm sure the regs apply to all new buildings regardless of ownership.
    Yes there is a huge public housing stock pre existing the regulations implementation date, it is not retrospective. They are looking to the future and by making small changes now they are looking at huge cost savings for decades to come.

Also you need a suitable hard standing by your house too (another regulation for the benefit of the disabled). There is some practical common sense applied methinks (for a refreshing change), the assumption being that a vehicle would be used by or for said wheelchair occupant. Or would you rather the regs specified a tarmac driveway too?

Yes, but to get the paperwork you need the ramp. No choice there.

No paperwork, no mortgage, no insurance etc.

The choice comes AFTER the paperwork.

Okay I agree but all a bit pointless. Build a ramp, get paperwork, take down/leave ramp. Why not just build a ramp as and when required like the council do with their housing stock?

Okay I agree but all a bit pointless. Build a ramp, get paperwork, take down/leave ramp. Why not just build a ramp as and when required like the council do with their housing stock?
    I wouldn't disagree.

But the law's the law, if we want to build, we've got to meet their regulations.

- Charles de Gaulle

Why not just build a ramp as and when required like the council do with their housing stock?
    And you would set aside a suitable sum of money to build a ramp in the future. A suitable amount being enough to cover the cost in say 30 years, and place in a trust that would be carried to any future owners of the house?

Out of interest, I assume your building a house, what is the actual cost of the ramp v the total build cost?

I wouldn't disagree.

But the law's the law, if we want to build, we've got to meet their regulations.
    "Their regulations" not ours then? no we would have been more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    And you would set aside a suitable sum of money to build a ramp in the future. A suitable amount being enough to cover the cost in say 30 years, and place in a trust that would be carried to any future owners of the house?

Out of interest, I assume your building a house, what is the actual cost of the ramp v the total build cost?
    i've recently built a new bungalow (not personally of course but its ours!)
    the ramp is compulsary and can only be removed by youselves after the building standards lot have been out to inspect the house.
    and a "tempory ramp" isn't good enough to pass!
    it also has to be to your front or back door, a patio door does not count.
    but whilst we're talking forced changes to new homes,
    you also have to have your light switches lower than standard, sockets higher than standard (for wheelchair users)
    there also has to be suitable wheelchair turning space in your kitchen work area and your main bathroom.
    you also have to have an area for a roof hanging drying rack!! although we never installed one, the area is there and free.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    you also have to have an area for a roof hanging drying rack!! although we never installed one, the area is there and free.
    I can understand the logic behind some of the regs, but I really don't get that one.

- Charles de Gaulle

it's the whole green thing!
    you have to mark on your house plans where the washing lines going to prove you'll have one, and the indoor one for rainy days! lol
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

Why would I do that? The cost of the ramp is irrelevant as is the ramp until I or my family are disabled.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast