Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Entrance to new houses

Please excuse my ignorance here.......

But, would this council rule apply to a double-story, new-build, house? ie - how would a disabled person access the first floor ?

Or would this mean that any new builds would also have to incorporate stair-lifts as part of the build?

P/S - I am not, by any means, against said ramps and such, but as another orger mentioned, at the end of the day this is your home and your personal investment, probably the biggest one of your/your families life - if, at the time of building, you are blessed not to have a family member with such requirements, then why should you be made to install items to access same?
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

I think the rule came in mid-2000. We moved into our new build early 2000 and didn't need a ramp. A friend started building about that time and needed one. When it first came in, quite a few people built a temporary ramp which they then removed after getting their completion certificate. This loophole was quickly removed and all ramps needed to be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Cost even less if you have no one disabled wanting to come in your house!
    I think as a society we decided not to exclude the needs of disabled folk.

Slightly off thread but was in Thurso today and the better half had to go. went down to the bogs by the river to use the toilets and the disabled door toilet read along these lines " Key available from Tourist Information Office" Office was shut!! Thankfully the missus isnt disabled!

Quote Originally Posted by donss View Post
    The decision to have a ramp, or any other facility for that matter (not necessarily disability related) should be down to the person building and paying for the initial build.
    Far, far too much 'Big Nanny State' requirements being forced upon individuals in this country. If situations change in the future, for the builder or their friends or relations, mobility or health wise,then it should be up to them to pay for reperations or changes as required.
    What next: compulsory prayer mats in case a Muslim oriented person happens by, or brail on the light switches, or seperate male and female toilets in case any possible visitor is embarrased or feels in the slightest put out?
    Long past time that things got back to basics and let people be responsible for their own circumstances.
    You are correct in the fact that all extras should be budgeted into the initial price and in private places individuals should be responsible for same.
    But in Public places, and I don't know what your thoughts are on those, most of the Western World do have brail on light switches and elevators buttons, male and female toilets, ramps and lifts for the disabled, and I am sure that this will cause some 'grief'...A seperate toilet for Trans sexual/transgendered etc etc people! Methinks if it is classified as Public then it should be accessible to the Public, all of us/them.
    Welcome to the Real World!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyr1 View Post
    You are correct in the fact that all extras should be budgeted into the initial price and in private places individuals should be responsible for same.
    But in Public places, and I don't know what your thoughts are on those, most of the Western World do have brail on light switches and elevators buttons, male and female toilets, ramps and lifts for the disabled, and I am sure that this will cause some 'grief'...A seperate toilet for Trans sexual/transgendered etc etc people! Methinks if it is classified as Public then it should be accessible to the Public, all of us/them.
    Welcome to the Real World!
    The original thread was hoping to attract replys about private houses and not public places.

The original thread was hoping to attract replys about private houses and not public places.
    I thank you for clarification. It did say 'new houses'.....If it would be a New Council House then it would be 'Public', as in owned and maintained by Gov't.

Valid point. But why pick on private houses?

Why have building regs at all, then?

If you're only 5 foot tall why bother having doors that can accomodate 6 footers? Same daft argument.

Cough up, David

Slightly off thread but was in Thurso today and the better half had to go. went down to the bogs by the river to use the toilets and the disabled door toilet read along these lines " Key available from Tourist Information Office" Office was shut!! Thankfully the missus isnt disabled!
    If you where registered disabled and entitled to use the disabled toilet you would have your own key.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    If you where registered disabled and entitled to use the disabled toilet you would have your own key.
    I don't have any experience at all, but, I would imagine that Kevin is correct ? ?
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

I re-read the entire thread I now realize that private houses must have a ramp. Wow...Seems a bit much, but I guess the 'Gov't' thinks it necessary. I suppose it adds value to your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Is this a local facility Kevin or is this a nation wide scheme ?, I ask as I am registered disabled and no one has offered/suggested getting a key.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by sandyr1 View Post
    I re-read the entire thread and it seems that private houses must have a ramp. Wow...Seems a bit much, but I guess the 'Gov't' thinks it necessary. I suppose it adds value to your home.
    As you've said Sandy, I honestly believe that the "New Build must have access via ramps etc." is a complete cop-out by the Council !!!

I'd hate to see any disabled body being discriminated against...but, as others have commented on this thread... where do you stop ?

I'll stick by my post on here, if I were ever in the position to build a new home, then I would definetley say that, " I'm paying a massive ammount of my own personal monies and I certainly do not need someone telling me how my home should be made to accept disabled people if I do not want that!!" (God forbid - if I were to be in such circumstances - then it would be up to me to arrange access for said people !)

If said "Council" wishes "MY" home to be built to their standards - then they can pay for it !!

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    As you've said Sandy, I honestly believe that the "New Build must have access via ramps etc." is a complete cop-out by the Council !!!

I'd hate to see any disabled body being discriminated against...but, as others have commented on this thread... where do you stop ?

I'll stick by my post on here, if I were ever in the position to build a new home, then I would definetley say that, " I'm paying a massive ammount of my own personal monies and I certainly do not need someone telling me how my home should be made to accept disabled people if I do not want that!!" (God forbid - if I were to be in such circumstances - then it would be up to me to arrange access for said people !)

If said "Council" wishes "MY" home to be built to their standards - then they can pay for it !!

I doubt you would would ever get planning permission, the "regs" dictate all of your build not only disabled facilities, such as 150 mill blocks instead of 100mill ones and numerous other things, usually they are awkward for a good reason.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance here.......

But, would this council rule apply to a double-story, new-build, house? ie - how would a disabled person access the first floor ?

Or would this mean that any new builds would also have to incorporate stair-lifts as part of the build?

P/S - I am not, by any means, against said ramps and such, but as another orger mentioned, at the end of the day this is your home and your personal investment, probably the biggest one of your/your families life - if, at the time of building, you are blessed not to have a family member with such requirements, then why should you be made to install items to access same?
    In a new build double story you have to have a bedroom on the ground floor,and you are not allowed an open fire either.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Why have building regs at all, then?

If you're only 5 foot tall why bother having doors that can accomodate 6 footers? Same daft argument.

Cough up, David
    Building regs are there for a reason, granted, however the same council who enforce the same regs as you allude to fail to open an office where the disabled can access a toilet-see previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I doubt you would would ever get planning permission, the "regs" dictate all of your build not only disabled facilities, such as 150 mill blocks instead of 100mill ones and numerous other things, usually they are awkward for a good reason.

or sometimes they make no sense.

Having just built our own house and had to put the disabled access ramp thing i think it is awfull as the only place it could go is at the front off our house and it looks rubbish, I think our house would look much better without it! Neither my partner or I need it for wheelchair access or prams etc so I was a pointless and very expensive task!!! I think it should have been our choice as to whether it went there or not!! An if at a later date we needed it it could have been added then. Ok rant over

Quote Originally Posted by SJR View Post
    Having just built our own house and had to put the disabled access ramp thing i think it is awfull as the only place it could go is at the front off our house and it looks rubbish, I think our house would look much better without it! Neither my partner or I need it for wheelchair access or prams etc so I was a pointless and very expensive task!!! I think it should have been our choice as to whether it went there or not!! An if at a later date we needed it it could have been added then. Ok rant over
    Yes exactly, it could have been added at a later date if needed which would be a sensible option.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast