Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Ramp Entrance to new houses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ramp Entrance to new houses

What do folks think about having to install ramps in new builds to give access to disabled folk?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    What do folks think about having to install ramps in new builds to give access to disabled folk?
    Not before time...It should have happened years ago!!!

C3....

Why wouldn't you?

Basic common sense aint it? As C3 said, should of happened years ago
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

They dont only give access to disabled people, but they are ideal for families too, especially if you have pushchairs and prams with babies and toddlers in. They are very good if you are carrying heavy bags of shopping you do not have to worry about steps, especially in the dark.

If its your house you should be able to do whatever you want. Within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    If its your house you should be able to do whatever you want. Within reason.
    I totally agree, I can't honestly think why I should have to go to the time and expense of installing such a ramp in my own house. If, and god forbid it happens I would get someone to build a ramp for access if me or a member of my family becomes disabled and I wanted them to access my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Not before time...It should have happened years ago!!!

C3....
    I'm pretty sure it's been compulsory for some time now, at least 6 or 7 years. I delivered plumbing supplies to new builds all over the County up to 2006, and i'm pretty certain that disabled access ramps were required by law at least a couple of years proir to 2006 when i left that job. They were certainly incorporated into the design of most new builds that i can remember delivering to around then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's been compulsory for some time now, at least 6 or 7 years. I delivered plumbing supplies to new builds all over the County up to 2006, and i'm pretty certain that disabled access ramps were required by law at least a couple of years proir to 2006 when i left that job. They were certainly incorporated into the design of most new builds that i can remember delivering to around then.
    Sorry Gizmo, I didnt explain my post very well, when I said "years ago" I was thinking more of the 40's or even 1918/19 when brave soldiers came home from horrendous wars with limbs missing.....Hope that clears things up!!
    C3...

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Sorry Gizmo, I didnt explain my post very well, when I said "years ago" I was thinking more of the 40's or even 1918/19 when brave soldiers came home from horrendous wars with limbs missing.....Hope that clears things up!!
    C3...
    Ah right, no worries. I just assumed you were referring to more recent times.

When we built our house just over five years ago we had to have a disabled ramp and the doorways had to be a certain width to allow wheelchair access, I think the bathroom had to be a certain way as well to allow a wheelchair to get in and be able to turn around. Wasn't that much of a big deal really.

You are right there Gizmo, we moved into a new property in Perthshire in 2002 and the builders had been putting them in for 2 years then.