Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramp Entrance to new houses

Default Ramp Entrance to new houses

What do folks think about having to install ramps in new builds to give access to disabled folk?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    What do folks think about having to install ramps in new builds to give access to disabled folk?
    Not before time...It should have happened years ago!!!

C3....

Why wouldn't you?

Basic common sense aint it? As C3 said, should of happened years ago
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

They dont only give access to disabled people, but they are ideal for families too, especially if you have pushchairs and prams with babies and toddlers in. They are very good if you are carrying heavy bags of shopping you do not have to worry about steps, especially in the dark.

If its your house you should be able to do whatever you want. Within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Not before time...It should have happened years ago!!!

C3....
    I'm pretty sure it's been compulsory for some time now, at least 6 or 7 years. I delivered plumbing supplies to new builds all over the County up to 2006, and i'm pretty certain that disabled access ramps were required by law at least a couple of years proir to 2006 when i left that job. They were certainly incorporated into the design of most new builds that i can remember delivering to around then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's been compulsory for some time now, at least 6 or 7 years. I delivered plumbing supplies to new builds all over the County up to 2006, and i'm pretty certain that disabled access ramps were required by law at least a couple of years proir to 2006 when i left that job. They were certainly incorporated into the design of most new builds that i can remember delivering to around then.
    Sorry Gizmo, I didnt explain my post very well, when I said "years ago" I was thinking more of the 40's or even 1918/19 when brave soldiers came home from horrendous wars with limbs missing.....Hope that clears things up!!
    C3...

You are right there Gizmo, we moved into a new property in Perthshire in 2002 and the builders had been putting them in for 2 years then.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Sorry Gizmo, I didnt explain my post very well, when I said "years ago" I was thinking more of the 40's or even 1918/19 when brave soldiers came home from horrendous wars with limbs missing.....Hope that clears things up!!
    C3...
    Ah right, no worries. I just assumed you were referring to more recent times.

When we built our house just over five years ago we had to have a disabled ramp and the doorways had to be a certain width to allow wheelchair access, I think the bathroom had to be a certain way as well to allow a wheelchair to get in and be able to turn around. Wasn't that much of a big deal really.

Quote Originally Posted by neepnipper View Post
    When we built our house just over five years ago we had to have a disabled ramp and the doorways had to be a certain width to allow wheelchair access, I think the bathroom had to be a certain way as well to allow a wheelchair to get in and be able to turn around. Wasn't that much of a big deal really.
    Yes, there's also other "wheelchair friendly" regulations such as heights of light switches an sockets.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Ramps are great and they don't have to be obvious. I had one in my last house that was rather in your face but in this house it's so well hidden that people dont even notice it's there. Very handy for all sorts of reasons (pushchairs, wheelchairs and don't forget moving in/out)

I presume it can only be a £ saver for the council for future owners/tenents that way no pay out for disabled grants for said ramps, they aint daft are they.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Yup, should have been part of building regs donkeys years ago.

Imagine how many people have spent many happy years in a property only to be forced out when they become disabled because of something as basic as lack of access to to aproperty or bathroom? Could have saved the taxpayers millions over the years, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    If its your house you should be able to do whatever you want. Within reason.
    I totally agree, I can't honestly think why I should have to go to the time and expense of installing such a ramp in my own house. If, and god forbid it happens I would get someone to build a ramp for access if me or a member of my family becomes disabled and I wanted them to access my house.

donss Guest

The decision to have a ramp, or any other facility for that matter (not necessarily disability related) should be down to the person building and paying for the initial build.

Far, far too much 'Big Nanny State' requirements being forced upon individuals in this country. If situations change in the future, for the builder or their friends or relations, mobility or health wise,then it should be up to them to pay for reperations or changes as required.

What next: compulsory prayer mats in case a Muslim oriented person happens by, or brail on the light switches, or seperate male and female toilets in case any possible visitor is embarrased or feels in the slightest put out?

Long past time that things got back to basics and let people be responsible for their own circumstances.

It would cost less than half the price to install a disabled entrance in a new build than to come back and do it later and in some cases probably less than that.

In the old days, we built our houses on the ground - not 4 foot high timber framed things that will not last. So we had no need for ramps if your door is at ground level

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    It would cost less than half the price to install a disabled entrance in a new build than to come back and do it later and in some cases probably less than that.
    Cost even less if you have no one disabled wanting to come in your house!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast