Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Chisholm in Watten

Default Chisholm in Watten

Hi,
    I'm currently researching a distant relative, who has links with Watten Parish.
    Thomas Chisholm was born in 1794, in Lauder, and died in 1881 in Watten. He was married to Elizabeth (Betty) Patterson.
    In the 1841 census the family lived at Achingale, and in 1851 lived at Wester Watten.
    The 1841 census lists the employment of the occupants (Andersons, Chisholms and Budge) as being either Joiners or Blacksmiths.
    The 1851 census has one of the Chisholms (William) listed as a Carpenter (master Emp 3 Men), and his mother Elizabeth as a midwife.
    I'm curious about two things:
    Why would a family from the South of Scotland move to Watten at that time? (pre-railway)
    What would a fairly large group of Joiners/Blacksmiths be employed on?

Regards
    Douglas

Hello Douglas,

I dont think this reply really answers your question but there is an excellent article on Watten on this Caithness site at http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfi...tten_mills.htm or go to the site map and do a search for Watten Mills.

I have Sutherland ancestors from the early 1700s in Watten also so if you find anything else about Watten please let me know. Mine seem to have left Watten some time after their marriage in 1764 and are next found at Badbea in the 1770s - also a rather mysterious move.

Regards Christina
    New Zealand

Morning Douglas

Many families moved from the South of Scotland to Caithness to work as shepherds and also as game keepers on the large estates. Your family may have had relatives who had moved up or decided to move north for whatever reason.

Carpenters and joiners would be employed in building work, making furniture etc. Blacksmiths would have plenty of work in the agricultural community - shoeing horses, making and repairing agricultural implements. I had a relative who was a blacksmith in Dunnett and he was also the local vet. The reason I know this was through an article in the John O'Groat Journal where it was reported that the community presented him with a gold watch in recognition of his work in the farming community.

Regards

Rosemary

Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
    Hi,
    I'm currently researching a distant relative, who has links with Watten Parish.
    Thomas Chisholm was born in 1794, in Lauder, and died in 1881 in Watten. He was married to Elizabeth (Betty) Patterson.
    In the 1841 census the family lived at Achingale, and in 1851 lived at Wester Watten.
    The 1841 census lists the employment of the occupants (Andersons, Chisholms and Budge) as being either Joiners or Blacksmiths.
    The 1851 census has one of the Chisholms (William) listed as a Carpenter (master Emp 3 Men), and his mother Elizabeth as a midwife.
    I'm curious about two things:
    Why would a family from the South of Scotland move to Watten at that time? (pre-railway)
    What would a fairly large group of Joiners/Blacksmiths be employed on?

Regards
    Douglas

Just to confirm what Rosemary said about moving from the Borders to Caithness.... my gg grandfather James Dickson moved from Chirnside in Berwickshire to Caithness in the 1840s. He was a shepherd. His mother and sister also moved with him, although his sister later returned to the Borders.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    I had wondered if the group of joiners and blacksmiths in the same building may have been connected with construction of mills, as the one at Achingale is listed as being built "late 18th to early 19th century"
    http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/se...U9YWNoaW5nYWxl

I was curious as to what the incentive would be to move North, but it could be something as simple as moving to where there was work available. Caithness seemed to be developing around that time, with roads improving, and a Leith/Wick steamer service operating. The development in Pulteneytown could have been a source of work.
    Thomas was from Duns, where he married in December 1821, and died in Watten in 1841. His first son was born in Watten in January 1823, so that narrows down the period when he moved North to sometime in 1822.

Douglas

Further to Douglas,
    Thomas Chisholm in question is my 3 gr grandfather. I wonder if anyone knows of a cemetery/kirkyard close by to Village of Wester Watten, Achingale, Scouthill, that Thomas could have be buried at. Or if there are any pictures available of headstones etc.?

When his widow/spouse Elizabeth Pat/terson Chisholm came to Canada they were involved with the Presbyterian Church.

Thanks,
    Janice

Hi Janice,

Thomas Chisholm is also my 3 gr grandfather through his daughter Isabella. She married David Lunam in 1847. They had 3 children whose marriage records give their palces of birth as follows: Elizabeth born in Scotland and William & Thomas (my great grandfather) born in Canada. It appears that Isabella may have died in Canada and that David returned to Scotland around 1856 with a new wife and then in 1860 emigrated to New Zealand. I would dearly like to know where and when in Canada these events occurred and if possible why David went back to Scotland. If you can help that would be great.

Thanks
    Sally