Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: butchers

HARROLDS HARROLDS HARROLDS!!! in wick

absolutely beautiful local meat (often labelled to exactly where its come from),
    excellent service,
    a range of pre-packed stirfry etc.
    various martinated meats, variety of burgers, homemade kievs etc
    cooking advice,
    always give the bairns a free apple
    also can vacum seal meat so it will keep longer for you so less waste.
    they deliver,
    (and have the added selling appeal of the may selections for your b&b)
    Last edited by annemarie482; 03-Mar-11 at 10:18.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Harrolds is the besst....
    dont judge staffies...its the owners that should be judged

i would say castletown is by far the best lovely meat hard to beat and there is a lot of choice

Default Butchers

Harrolds every time best quality you will get and all local

Oh Definately Castletown Butchers....what a selection, and lots of different things, lovely spicey steak kebabs,greek pork chops, stir fry steak in a creamy mushroom sauce, beautiful sausages and lots more, lovely staff and nothing is a bother to them. lovely clean shop and everything fresh, also they deliver.

In a nutshell, going by the above posts, you can't go wrong with any of the butchers in Caithness. Quality on your doorstep wherever you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Tesco has the best Butcher and are a lot cheaper as well
    Factory farmed rubbish for the masses. Stressed up animals = stressed up people (you are what you eat).... this is why people in big cities are so stressed, eating all that factory farmed junk. This is the last "bastion" of normality up here, why oh why would you want to buy meat from Tesco when there are perfectly good local butchers selling top quality "local" stuff? Tesco is far from "cheap".... 95 pence for a suede the size of an orange, you will get a local suede the size of a medicine ball in Harolds (Thurso) for 70 pence.... you can't buy boiling beef (to make soup) in Tesco, you will get a lovely bit of boiling beef from any of the butchers in town for a couple of quid. It is FAR cheaper to buy from local butchers and there are a lot more cuts on offer... if Tesco get their way we will all be walking about in cheap Chinese clothes, eating processed rubbish and the local shops will be a distant memory... goodbye Thurso, hello Tesco... they will suck the place dry.

You can't go wrong with Aultbea black pudding by the way.

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

George Harper, you will not beat him give's all ay old people free sausages and if your younger you get a free meat roll some-times you get two,i will not go any-where else
    Last edited by GLENELG; 02-Mar-11 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine-Dream View Post

I love my black pudding but Aultbea does nothing for me, if you want a good pudding go to Cormacks in Latheronwheel...his meat is superb as well !!

C3...

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    I love my black pudding but Aultbea does nothing for me, if you want a good pudding go to Cormacks in Latheronwheel...his meat is superb as well !!

C3...
    Black pudding is a very individual thing, some like them long, others like them thick and some prefer them bendy.... The Aultbea one is nice if thinly sliced and "pan fried" (what else would you fry it in... a plastic bucket?) until crispy, don't add any oil to the pan the natural fat in the pudding is enough to do the job.

I never say no to a good length of pudding (oooh err matron) so will look out for this "cormacks" pudding you speak of.... is it an under the counter job (nudge nudge, wink wink) or is it generally available to the public? I'll try a foot for starters and, if it's good, work up to a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    But I dont know if anywhere makes their own bacon in amounts that you would need for cooked breakfasts for a B&B.
    I believe that Harold Bros in Wick cure their own bacon

if Tesco get their way we will all be walking about in cheap Chinese clothes, eating processed rubbish and the local shops will be a distant memory... goodbye Thurso, hello Tesco... they will suck the place dry.
    I understand that Tesco's have been in Wick for a number of years and yet there are still 2 good butchers. These butchers remain because the products they sell are better than Tesco's and at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    I believe that Harold Bros in Wick cure their own bacon
    Why, has it been unwell
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Factory farmed rubbish for the masses. Stressed up animals = stressed up people (you are what you eat).... this is why people in big cities are so stressed, eating all that factory farmed junk. This is the last "bastion" of normality up here, why oh why would you want to buy meat from Tesco when there are perfectly good local butchers selling top quality "local" stuff? Tesco is far from "cheap".... 95 pence for a suede the size of an orange, you will get a local suede the size of a medicine ball in Harolds (Thurso) for 70 pence.... you can't buy boiling beef (to make soup) in Tesco, you will get a lovely bit of boiling beef from any of the butchers in town for a couple of quid. It is FAR cheaper to buy from local butchers and there are a lot more cuts on offer... if Tesco get their way we will all be walking about in cheap Chinese clothes, eating processed rubbish and the local shops will be a distant memory... goodbye Thurso, hello Tesco... they will suck the place dry.

What's a suede?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Castletown for me. Loads of choice and different things such as yummy greek pork steak, chicken or beef stir fry, chilli pork, steak in mushroom sauce! They also usually have more varieties of sausages and burgers instead of just beef & pork. They do bombay burgers, chilli burgers, chicken sausages etc etc. Saying that the last time I was in Wick I had a steak pie from the butchers beside Houstons and it was beautiful x

Smile Butcher meat

Can`t beat Bews Butchers in Thurso they are brilliant!

I would recommend the Castletown Butchers, Derek is a good Butcher - they have some lovely things and very reasonably priced and staff are friendly and helpful. Personal favourites include - Southern fried chicken, steak kebabs, hot and spicy chicken just to name a few and the lorne sausage is excellent best we have tasted. Derek gets his beef and pork locally.

But it is very true everyone has personal preference.

But keep up the good work Derek and your team!!
    Last edited by Kezmac; 05-Mar-11 at 10:47. Reason: update

Smile Butchers

I have to say Castletown Butchers all the way. Have had meat from a number of butchers around Thurso and i cant find anything better than Castletown for taste and price.

Castletown Butchers by far. Their standard is consistent and excellent, and their sausages are nearly double the size of the Thurso butchers.

Personally I use Bews in Thurso or Mackay's in Wick. Although I have heard good things about the one in Castletown too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12