Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: butchers

Default butchers

can any one tell me which butcher is the best to use as we are about to open a B & B in caithness and i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them

Maybe best to do a taste test and try them all. I like Harrolds for some things and Harpers for others and so on..

Ermm for breakfast goods do a taste test with the patrons...and order what is most popular from each ie blackpudding from one and sausages from another..

Tesco has the best Butcher and are a lot cheaper as well

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

The best bet is to try them yourself.

In a community like Caithness people will tell you the one they use, and their parents used, is best, even though they've never tried an alternative!

I personally use Bews in Thurso, but I've been told Harrolds do a mean steak pie.

I've also heard Mackay's in Wick have a great White Pudding.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.bowles30 View Post
    can any one tell me which butcher is the best to use as we are about to open a B & B in caithness and i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them
    Surely you must have some experience in this matter already with your outlet at Wick airport?
    What butcher so you use to supply that and what customer feedback have you had regarding quality?
    That would give you some guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Gosh, I would have to disagree there. They cannot claim a local product, which is what is most interesting in a business like a B&B. Also the recycled black bin bags used at night are enough to put me off if nothing else!
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Sinclair the butchers Macarthur Street,George and his staff i reckon are the finest butchers that you could go to,and you allways get some-thing extra.

Castletown Butchers are very hard to beat - and their sausages are a decent size, not like the small ones you get in the Thurso butchers.

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    Castletown Butchers are very hard to beat - and their sausages are a decent size, not like the small ones you get in the Thurso butchers.

If only sausages were sold by weight! Then it would be fair.

Tescos is actually far more expensive for a lesser quality products.

Harrold's is my favourite - they have lovely meat and have just started selling wagu beef - now that is a steak and a half!! Absolutely delish! Lovely and marbled and ever so tasty...
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Default Meat

The previous owner of the burger van parked at Homebase used to get his supplies at Tesco and he found them to be extremly good value for money.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Surely you must have some experience in this matter already with your outlet at Wick airport?
    What butcher so you use to supply that and what customer feedback have you had regarding quality?
    That would give you some guidance.
    If the OP does not already assert to his claim "i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them" what am I getting at Wick Airport if he don't know already??

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    If the OP does not already assert to his claim "i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them" what am I getting at Wick Airport if he don't know already??
    Erm, Charlie...is English not your first language? Because both your posts are very confusing!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

having bought a piece of beef for roasting from Tesco, and taking it back to complain... was told by two members of Tesco Staff.. "never buy my meat from here!"... not much of an advert!!

plus not local,

.. Recently started going to Castletown Butcher and abs delish!... sausages by weight?... last time i was in i just asked for a lb and thats what i got! steak kebabs yum.... and rib eye steak... melting!

You can't go far wrong with any of the Thurso butchers (I haven't tried any of the Wick butchers). Castletown butchers is especially good and this is where I go. The staff are friendly, and the shop is good.

Why not have tasting night with some friend to help you decide?

just wondered where your new b+b will be andrew.

I use Sinclairs for meat when in Wick and try to not miss the butchers van from Castletown butchers when it goes past on a wed afternoon.
    I prefer Sinclairs sausages but like the Castletown butchers blackpudding marginally better.
    But I dont know if anywhere makes their own bacon in amounts that you would need for cooked breakfasts for a B&B.
    As for eggs there are lots of people selling eggs locally..must be worth looking into that too!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.bowles30 View Post
    Get your sausages from the stall in Wick town centre on a Saturday.By far the best I have ever tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    Sinclair the butchers Macarthur Street,George and his staff i reckon are the finest butchers that you could go to,and you allways get some-thing extra.

i second that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast