Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sourdough Pita Bread

Default Sourdough Pita Bread

Sourdough Pita Bread

1 cup sourdough starter (google to learn how to start yer own!)
    1/2 cup water
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2 1/2- 3 1/2 cups flour of your choice

I mix the starter with the water, and salt. Then add 2 cups of flour and mix and add as much more as needed to make a good dough for kneading. Then add the oil. Knead for a few minutes and place in a lightly oiled bowl. turn to coat and cover with a tea towel. Let rise in a warm place over night. Punch down and knead a bit and into pieces. Pieces should be slightly bigger than a golf ball. Heat heavy frying pan dry with a lid to medium heat. Roll out pieces just less than 1/4 inch thick and cook in covered pan till puffed up and flip. Cool for a few minutes then put in a covered plastic container whilst still warm to keep them soft. I then reheat by frying a bit in a tad of olive oil or toast as I need them.

We eat them with soup, as stuffed pita sandwiches, or spread with homemade hummus or yoghurt cheese.

This sounds great. Starter is really easy to do. Gonna get cracking on this tomorrow. Thanks roadbowler

just noticed your reply... how did it turn out? I've just mixed up a Sourdough English muffin to let rise overnight tonite... really hooked on sourdough!