Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Kennels in Caithness

Longreen kennels. Don't just drop the dog off, have a good look at all of the accomodation first. Then you'll walk away. And don't listen to the patter.

Thank you dog-eared!
    nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    My dog came back in a terrible state, after I used them, although after sending the pics to someone privately today they said it was to be expected as she was left for 17 days and dogs get stressed!!!!!!!!!
    Lord knows how they survive in rescue kennels for months then eh?
    lol thats what I was told too!

I've absolutely no problem putting my dog at Longreen, and doggy is always happy to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    ...... it was to be expected as she was left for 17 days and dogs get stressed!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry for 'snipping' you, Unicorn
    Yes dogs do get stressed in kennels, but its up to the people there to help them cope with the experience! 'Fraid I'd not have great faith in a kennel that couldn't deal with a stressed dog (one of mine gets stressy in kennels but I trust the people I have left her with in the past to settle and reassure her!)

Kel24 - make sure you go and have a look at the place you choose before you put your dog to them, if you possibly can. (I know it's hard without transport!)

PS Is Longgreen licensed? Just that they weren't on the list when I asked the wifie at the council for a list of local kennels (not that there were many on the list at all mind!) - I like to see a license cos I know they have to be properly insured etc.

i can tell u that longreen is licensed and they have got insurance and i really wish u ALL wouls stop havin a go

HI, iam the lady from dounreay, i do look after dogs from time to time but it is for friends and family, not as a business, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsC2011 View Post
    i can tell u that longreen is licensed and they have got insurance and i really wish u ALL wouls stop havin a go
    How is it having a go when people are talking about thier personal expierences?. When i asked to see the accomodation for the dogs there i was told i couldn't as it would upset the other dogs, i have never been to a kennel that used that excuse before!!!.

i can tell u that longreen is licensed and they have got insurance ...
    Glad to hear it! But if I was Mr/Mrs Long Green I'd be quite 'sweary worded' off that I was paying money (assume you have to pay? is it expensive?) and jumping through hoops for my license but not appearing on the Council list *confused face*

I don't actually know any 'real people' who have used the kennels so i haven't heard anything about them really. But have to admit that what Unicorn and Daisychain in particular have said would tend to ring the alarm bells for me.

(Oooooo, I seem to have 'grown' an extra green square!!!???? Is that good?)
    Last edited by Hogfather; 28-Feb-11 at 18:16. Reason: Excitement!

well i use longrenn all the time and ray runs it himself so its quite hard for him to have all these ppl say bad things about the place and as he is a friend aswell its no nice for me to here either and he wouldnt advertise if he wasnt licenced and insured as he would get caught out there wouldnt he and i dont get in the kennels if there is any other dogs in as they do get really upset and it takes a long time for him to get them to settle again

think of this how would any of u feel if u were taken to a kennel and ur owner the person u love and trust just dumped u there and u dont no if there comin bak remember a dog is a pack animal and gets upset and stressed out when left on its own tell me if im wrong but would any of u no feel the same

All other kennels I have used let you see the living conditions and space your dog is going to be using.
    Gives you peace of mind or a chance to backout if you dont like what you see.
    Dogs can get stressed, but, that should be picked up on and steps taken to remedy the situation.
    i.e keeping the dog on its same food its used to and monitoring that its eating and drinking.
    And the chance for vet intervention before things get out of control, not after.

think of this how would any of u feel if u were taken to a kennel and ur owner the person u love and trust just dumped u there and u dont no if there comin bak remember a dog is a pack animal and gets upset and stressed out when left on its own tell me if im wrong but would any of u no feel the same
    how would you feel if the dog you love and had entrusted to a person in the business of looking after dogs in kennels had upon collection lost a vast amount of weight because "he never touched his food" (nor do I beleive he was ever coaxed to eat it, just thrown in and left to it) and whose coat was covered in his own excrement (probably due to the kennel not being cleaned out daily and/or not being taken out regularily enough)

I use 2 kennels now, one being local the other being near inverness airport - both have excellent clean facilities and the dogs excercised regularly (the one in inverness takes the dogs on walks in woods 3 times a day)

you say its only Ray running the place himself.......maybe he needs to employ a kennel maid to help him, there is certainly need for more kenneling locally but I certainly wouldn't be putting any of my dogs back there until I knew from personal recommendations that the place had changed, it might be hard for both you and him to read these comments however mine is a true and accurate account of what I observed upon collecting my pet and with so many similar observations maybe its critisism that needs to listened to and changes put in place

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12