Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: who is god

Phew! after reading through this lot, pleased I ain't got a religion;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ual_traditions.
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Blimey, I didn't think you had to belong to an organised none religion now. Sounds decidedly weird to me

Agnosticism rarely stirs the blood like organised religion or atheism. But there's always an exception, and in this case I am it.

I hate agnosticism!

It's a lazy position, and what's worse is that most so-called agnostics don't even know the meaning of the word. Every agnostic I've ever met has been a wimp one way or another.

Default Seeing as Wikipedia is becoming the new 'religion' (on this thread)........

....here's my addition:

The second coming is nigh.

I sense in this year: 2011AD, a rising of true believers, the force is strong.

JediChurch

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Agnosticism rarely stirs the blood like organised religion or atheism. But there's always an exception, and in this case I am it.

I hate agnosticism!

It's a lazy position, and what's worse is that most so-called agnostics don't even know the meaning of the word. Every agnostic I've ever met has been a wimp one way or another.
    Ah - the fervour of the true zealot.

Pile high the fires of the inquisition - thou shalt believe one way or another whether thou wishest or not for your position is intolerable to me and outside the purlieus of the holy blinkers.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

I hate agnosticism!

I think I disagree.

Perhaps the agnostics are the only ones who are right.

In the absense of proven evidence, the theists and the atheists are following their own unsubstantiated beliefs. The agnostic retains an open mind.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

just to be devils advocate.. it can also be said agnostics are wishy washy... and sitting on the fence. unable to make a choice for fear of making the wrong choice. a wait and see whats gonna happen mentality.
    on the other hand.. it can be argued.. that to follow blindly is a very irrational thing to do.. and makes no sense.. kinda like if all your friends were jumping off a bridge would you do it too?
    http://itqueries.com/

I hate agnosticism!

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Ah - the fervour of the true zealot.
    Pile high the fires of the inquisition - thou shalt believe one way or another whether thou wishest or not for your position is intolerable to me and outside the purlieus of the holy blinkers.
    Pinned in one John well done.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    just to be devils advocate.. it can also be said agnostics are wishy washy... and sitting on the fence. unable to make a choice for fear of making the wrong choice. a wait and see whats gonna happen mentality.
    Here's what this agnostic believes....or does'nt..no, I do ,I think
    I believe believers in anything supernatural are deceived by their own mentality and because of various reasons to do with childhood. For example had Brandy been born in Pakistan and not America she would have been a good Muslim rather than a good Catholic.
    Supernatural belief is a psychological virus passed onto beleivers by their parents and reinforced by their culture.
    I am convinced of that so no wishy washy fence sitting there.

Non beleivers are a different kettle of fish. Most of us will at one time have been faced with the delemna of thinking about whether God exists or not. In a beleiver this is where faith comes in. Its basically faith in a non believer too. Faith in our doubts. What are those doubts? Are they planted in our psyche by a bad angel called Satan or is it the natural thought processes of a human being who needs to understand their environment? I believe its natural and generated in my own head by the nurturing of my upbringing. No supernatural influences in other words. Prejudiced perhaps but not supernatural
    Humanists put their faith in humanity. Me too and anyone who doesnt notice the changes in human thinking over the centuries and doesnt acknowledge the evolutionary processes at work there is deluded too.
    I dont know whether Humans will ever evolve into something more akin to the reverence we put on supernatural beings but i think the chances are there. Thats what makes me an agnostic.

Agnosticism rarely stirs the blood like organised religion or atheism. But there's always an exception, and in this case I am it. I hate agnosticism!
    Calling Agnostics wimps is not really constructional. When you were born, and in your early formative years you may well have been the child of a Christian, a Muslim, whatever, but you were born Agnostic. i.e. you did not know.

Like all, initially I was an Agnostic and although belonging to a Christian Church, attending Sundays on all services - I was also in the Church Choir, I did have doubts; agnostic to it's simplest form is I just 'did not know'.

In practical fact, deeply religious believers and Atheists 'could' both be wrong. An Agnostic waits and sees.. "sitting on the fence"? - is this a veiled poke at someone's stance in all this?. maybe better to wait and see what reveals itself in life before taking a decision, and not simply following blindly the faith of the parents.

I Joined the Forces at 18 and within a year was serving in Aden.. as a teenager, I saw evil, horrendous things that are still as vivid today as they were four decades ago. A graphic introduction to raw life..

Periods of service in Northern Ireland, wondering why God allowed bombers to kill children in their nationalistic fervour, collecting bit's of same.. questions of why?

After 15 years of similar, moved onto the Fire Service.. again 'Why' if there is a just god, why did he allow those kids to die with smoke inhalation, lying there, peaceful and innocent - because the battery on the fire alarm was low (Just another minute of power god; please).. but no.. it was tragic to attend RTA's and remove children's smashed bodies from mangled wreckage.

23 March 1981, my station attended the crash that killed Mike Hailwood - he crashed head on into the side of a foreign truck that had illegally crossed the central reservation of the A435 - the truck driver was fined £100 - Mike's nine year old daughter died instantly; she sat on the backseat, unharmed, as if asleep.. now, that is moving and questioningly; why? - I apologies for bringing this up, but is all this information is publicly available..

Many other instances of incidents where I still continue to ask why did a possible god allow this to occur. Just a second or so here or there it would not have happened..

OK I may be looking at this religious thing askew, but an all-powerful being that loves everyone, is in my book untenable.
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Non beleivers are a different kettle of fish. Most of us will at one time have been faced with the delemna of thinking about whether God exists or not. In a beleiver this is where faith comes in. Its basically faith in a non believer too. Faith in our doubts. What are those doubts? Are they planted in our psyche by a bad angel called Satan or is it the natural thought processes of a human being who needs to understand their environment? I believe its natural and generated in my own head by the nurturing of my upbringing. No supernatural influences in other words. Prejudiced perhaps but not supernatural
    Humanists put their faith in humanity. Me too and anyone who doesnt notice the changes in human thinking over the centuries and doesnt acknowledge the evolutionary processes at work there is deluded too.
    I dont know whether Humans will ever evolve into something more akin to the reverence we put on supernatural beings but i think the chances are there. Thats what makes me an agnostic.
    I think this subject is overthought. I remember as a small boy sitting in church thinking, this a daft, and I've never given it a another thought since.

We cant all be as smart as you though.

*giggles* umm just to set the record straight.. ive never been a catholic, i was raised in the bible belt.. to believe the old time southern gospel, and i rebelled against that from an early age because of the strictures of the teachings. I am devout in my beliefs that God is real.. but the ins and outs of my faith are enough to confuse anyone!
    i believe in ghosts.. and no they dont have to be demons and evil spirits ..
    i believe in demons and evil spirits as well
    also believe in angels and a host of other things.
    and just to make me a nutter.. i believe in intelligent alien life.
    have i seen all these things? nope not all of them..
    i have seen ghosts and poltergeist activities though!
    that is first hand experience and not panicked mind tricks.
    im happy to let everyone believe the way they want to.. and on my agnostic post.. i did a two way street on it..
    the second half just wasn't quoted *G*

ohhh i do have a pet peeve.. and its a well used one..
    its if God is real why does he let this happen?
    why does God let child molesters hurt children
    why does God Kill Children, Mothers, fathers, loved ones..ect..
    why does God allow bad things to happen..
    im sure your getting my drift now..
    the idea is that God dosent allow anything to happen, nor cause it.
    we have free will.. the ability to make a choice to do right or wrong
    according to moral statures.
    we as individuals make that choice to do something.
    not because God didnt stop it, but because we didnt stop ourselves.
    Now i dont know how it works and its all speculation.. but with God, you will be judged when the time comes..
    on the same note for those that do not belive in a higher power or and after life..
    (BTW) i think that one can believe in an afterlife even if they dont God...
    its not exclusive..
    anyway.. we are responsible for our own actions and punishable for our own actions.. on this mortal plane by our peers and by the powers that be on the heavenly one.
    we just dont know how that works out yet..

I believe believers in anything supernatural are deceived by their own mentality and because of various reasons to do with childhood. For example had Brandy been born in Pakistan and not America she would have been a good Muslim rather than a good Catholic.
    Supernatural belief is a psychological virus passed onto beleivers by their parents and reinforced by their culture.
    I am convinced of that so no wishy washy fence sitting there.
    I would agree with most of that.

It's no coincidence the majority of religious people are of the same religion as their parents. Childhood indoctrination.

In a beleiver this is where faith comes in. Its basically faith in a non believer too.
    100% agree. The Theist believes without evidence, faith, and the Athiest discounts the potential for evidence, having faith there is none.

The agnostic, who admits there is currently no way of proving "the truth" moves on without letting it influence them. He doen't rely on faith, but awaits evidence one way or the other.

I've called myself an Atheist for years, but in retrospect I'm probably an Agnostic leaning heavily towards Atheism. I think it's more likely that there is no god, but without evidence it would go against my principles of scientific judgement to completely discount the possibility.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    ohhh i do have a pet peeve.. and its a well used one..
    its if God is real why does he let this happen?
    why does God let child molesters hurt children
    why does God Kill Children, Mothers, fathers, loved ones..ect..
    why does God allow bad things to happen..
    im sure your getting my drift now..
    the idea is that God dosent allow anything to happen, nor cause it.
    we have free will.. the ability to make a choice to do right or wrong
    according to moral statures.
    we as individuals make that choice to do something.
    not because God didnt stop it, but because we didnt stop ourselves.
    Now i dont know how it works and its all speculation.. but with God, you will be judged when the time comes..
    on the same note for those that do not belive in a higher power or and after life..
    (BTW) i think that one can believe in an afterlife even if they dont God...
    its not exclusive..
    anyway.. we are responsible for our own actions and punishable for our own actions.. on this mortal plane by our peers and by the powers that be on the heavenly one.
    we just dont know how that works out yet..
    ok Brandy you have given me somethings to think about ,but who decided when your time is up ???

We cant all be as smart as you though.
    True, but you could at least make the effort

There's nothing more enjoyable in this world than making intellectually lazy agnostics squirm at the worthlessness of their lack of position.

Get some backbone and join those who admit they're atheists, because I bet most of you vocal agnostics are really atheists when you get down to the nitty gritty. Most of the rest of the agnostic crowd in society are just wimps, although there is the odd agnostic theist knocking about.

There's nothing more enjoyable in this world than making intellectually lazy agnostics squirm at the worthlessness of their lack of position.
    LOL - you do have a fine view of your own capabilities. I cannot speak for anyone else but you do not even cause a ripple on my pond. I do admire the complete imperviousness of your conceit however.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Get some backbone and join those who admit they're atheists, because I bet most of you vocal agnostics are really atheists when you get down to the nitty gritty. Most of the rest of the agnostic crowd in society are just wimps, although there is the odd agnostic theist knocking about.
    As per my previous posts, up to my involvement in this thread I would have called myself an Atheist. 100%.

In reflection, now I think I'm an agnostic with leanings heavily towards atheism. An agnostic does not have to be 50% between theism and atheism. Until proven otherwise, I'll admit the slight possibility that a god could exist, even if I find it highly unlikely.

- Charles de Gaulle

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast