Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: who is god

it is a very passionate thing.. to speak of religion.. and more often than not angry words and hateful things are often said..
    people of faith yell loudly of the power of God and how wondrous he is, and people of disbelief yell even louder of how impossible it is and belittle those who believe.
    in my humble opinion.. i think Mr Shakespeare said it best in hamlet.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    this can be applied to all of us.
    no, not one of us understands all the intrinsics of the universe.. not even Mr. Hawkins who may think he does.
    it is an infinite equation and one i do not think in our very limited time on this mortal world will be able to unwind.
    Is there a God?
    a simple answer..
    I believe yes, others believe no.. but we will find out when we get there.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    I believe yes, others believe no.. but we will find out when we get there.
    Or maybe we won't!
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

On the news this very day..
    Nice to see.. been to a Humanist funeral - which was very moving, but pleased the wedding scene is now expanding:
    More Scots wedding couples turn to humanist marriages.. There were more humanist weddings than Roman Catholic weddings in Scotland last year, according to new figures.The Registrar General for Scotland's provisional data on marriages by denomination showed humanist weddings were the third most popular ceremony. There were 1,706 humanist weddings, between January and September 2010, an increase of 35% on 2009, while Catholic weddings remained static at 1,506. There were 11,430 civil marriages and 5,013 Church of Scotland weddings.
    The Humanist Society of Scotland (HSS) said it expected to see the number of humanist weddings "overtake those of the Church of Scotland in 2015".

Well there you are!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12517893
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

well let me be the first to tell you my wedding is booked for next year june the 16th.
    and its going to be a humanist wedding.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    well let me be the first to tell you my wedding is booked for next year june the 16th.
    Well done and congratulations!

Congratulations.

I know little about these ceremonies other than having been to a humanist funeral, are you being married by a member of the humanist society or somebody else?
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Well done and congratulations!
    cheers!

like you i have been to a humanist funeral which was lovely and far more touching than any i had been to.
    i then seen a video of a humanist wedding and knew it was the perfect thing for us.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I remember the time on the Org when we had a thread discussing whether God could be discussed on the Org or not.
    For someone who doesnt exist he causes an awful lot of trouble.
    Well said gleeber.

cheers!

like you i have been to a humanist funeral which was lovely and far more touching than any i had been to.
    i then seen a video of a humanist wedding and knew it was the perfect thing for us.
    I'd guess you'll be having Kate Buchanan then, AM?

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    I'd guess you'll be having Kate Buchanan then, AM?
    yes lee
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish

i never understood the whole humanist thing.. isn't it the same as atheism? or is it like Christianity in as much as just another denomination of the same thing.. atheism/humanist baptist/methodist kind of thing respectively.
    this is a genuine question as i do not understand the difference.

i never understood the whole humanist thing.. isn't it the same as atheism? or is it like Christianity in as much as just another denomination of the same thing.. atheism/humanist baptist/methodist kind of thing respectively.
    Hi brandy, have a read through this, quite explanatory: http://www.religioustolerance.org/at_ag_hu.htm

Not quite.

Probably the best way of describing us is to link to our declaration on our website:

http://www.humanism-scotland.org.uk/...claration.html

No God(s), no ritual. No belief that there is a 'supreme being' who takes an active interest in our welfare...you may have heard that on another thread quite recently......

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Hi brandy, have a read through this, quite explanatory: http://www.religioustolerance.org/at_ag_hu.htm

Good link, Bekisman. V interesting site, not seen that site before.

There's not much to understand about humanism Brandy. I knew the word when I was growing up and over the years but it never meant much to me. Then I got to understand it and realised I was a humanist. Only in the last 10 years or so. I see it as a religion. I dont have a problem with the word religion. I often read atheist type material and if theres any word that gets them worked up it's religion. I dont think all atheists could be classed as humanists but i think most humanists will be either atheists or agnostics and mostly by choice. They dont like being called religious though.
    Religion implies a supernatural existance parralel to the world we really live in, Tescos and spoons and all that stuff. Humanists will know those fanciful ideas only go on in the confines of their own skulls. In one way it does but its still a world view and fundamnetal to the psychological world of the average human.
    I'm an agnostic. Thats means I dont know if there's a supernatural world or not but I do know theres a physical world and once someone has a grasp of the workings and laws of nature, Gods can become extinct. But I believe that No Gods is religion too. It's confusing being agnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Good link, Bekisman. V interesting site, not seen that site before.
    Bless you, my son

thanks for the links that was helpful! now heres the question.. since it seems that everything and i mean everything has a name.. which is the one that believes that the world is a wonderful magical place.. and there are so many things in it that the rational mind cant explain? where you can still believe in God, but also believe in ghosts and mystical mythical things as well? where you can believe in science and faith together? a faith that dosent teach hate and persecution but shows that we are all on a different paths leading to the same place?
    i think that would be the one for me..

There's a thing in humanism called truth. All religions have it. In humanism it's evidence based. Eventually it may lead to the same place but if it does I suspect we will all be wrong.

thanks for the links that was helpful! now heres the question.. since it seems that everything and i mean everything has a name.. which is the one that believes that the world is a wonderful magical place.. and there are so many things in it that the rational mind cant explain? where you can still believe in God, but also believe in ghosts and mystical mythical things as well? where you can believe in science and faith together? a faith that dosent teach hate and persecution but shows that we are all on a different paths leading to the same place?
    i think that would be the one for me..
    If you believe in 'God' in a purely Creator way as opposed to, say, the Christian or Muslim religion, then I would say that there are many non-mainstream groups of people who are on the same wavelength as yourself. T'inerweb is a wonderful tool, Brandy.

Seek and ye shall find, eh?

Crayola would probably be more used to you here than a miserable old badtempered cynic like me, she's got a good idea of what's occurring in the Spritual and 'alternative' religion world.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast