Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: who is god

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    God is the answer to our questions, carved out of our own fear.
    Dear God, I am frightened I don't win the lottery tonight. Can you tell me what the numbers will be?

I find it interesting how many people posting here have admitted, or inferred to being non-believers.

In the 2001 Scottish census 65% people claimed to be christian, 28% claimed to have no religion.

Is the org indicative of the population as a whole?

Do you think there are more or less non believers than the 28%?

Do you think many of the 65% claiming to be christian did so because they were brought up in christian surroundings rather than because of their current beliefs?

How many of the 65% are regular church goers?
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

How many of the 65% are regular church goers?

at a pure guess probably 5% if that.

other than a funeral, christening or wedding,
    when was the last time you seen a church filled?

i can't say i've ever seen it.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Dear God, I am frightened I don't win the lottery tonight. Can you tell me what the numbers will be?
    LOL. I did not mean those sort of questions. Though now that you mention it I have met plenty who have prayed for that sort of thing- and read lots of stuff about people who say they have got that sort of stuff after they have prayed for it.

If it works for you then go for it.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Uh oh.... Just realised I have breached the 3rd Commandment - "Do not take the Lords name in vain"....

SIS, can I join you on the hike to the hills in search of that burning bush?

Went through Golspie yesterday, and just after leaving the place (going South) on the right, for a long time now the owner puts a big sign up his garden, changed regularly, yesterday it was: "In Trouble? Call on Jesus"
    Can't find anything under 'J'...
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Can any members on here give me the number for Jesus, and when his opening hours are please?

Can any members on here give me the number for Jesus, and when his opening hours are please?
    Thanks for that; much appreciated..

I have two gods Stella and a certain Merlot from New Zealand, but then any half decent (or even vaguely decent) red will do (technically would these be demi gods if I can find solace in so many?)

Religion is for sheep.

In this 'Age of Austerity' there's been a few cutbacks and Jesus doesn't have a branch up here anymore.

But, if you dial 0845 JESUSISEVERYWHERE you'll get through to a 24hr call centre just ouside Mumbai. They're contracted to do all the Jesus work now.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    In this 'Age of Austerity' there's been a few cutbacks and Jesus doesn't have a branch up here anymore.

But, if you dial 0845 JESUSISEVERYWHERE you'll get through to a 24hr call centre just ouside Mumbai. They're contracted to do all the Jesus work now.
    Is this the one? http://www.jesuseverywhere.com/ but can't find an 0845 number..

Anyay...

"Who is God?"

Easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hcfxm8wM0A

Cool Books and Food for Thought

Okay, folks! In answer to the constructive points and questions, I would strongly recommend Immanuel Kant's Critique on Pure Reason and his Critique on Practical Reason. His work is quite objective in terms of whether or not God exists and is more concerned with the reasoning for human nature wanting/requiring the will to believe. However, Kant is not easy reading - for one thing, unless you read the original German text some of the translations can be a bit hazy!!!
    If you want something readable then CS Lewis' Theological works are very good, but make sure that you get the original, unabridged texts as many Christian movements have picked and chosen their favourite bits and published books of them. Some of the best ones for looking at why people believe are Surprised by Joy and The Problem of Pain. I can recommend a few more, but I think that with these four should give you an idea of some reasons why people might want to believe.

Well, I take exception to some of the flippant comments on here, but to me they represent an uncertainty, so I won't dwell on it. I did a good few years at university studying and reading Theology and you who dismissed it as a boring thing, I don't think you know what proper theology is!!! It is far from boring but very complicated. Those of you who think that all theologians are religious, think again! Theologians are quite simply those of us who can consider arguments for and against the existence of God from a scientific - yes, that's right, Theology is a scientific based study!!! - perspective.

Religion is for sheep?! Interesting analogy, I assume you are referring to the Judeo-Christian reference of God as a shepherd - clever reference!!! It is not relevant to all the religions though... As for Demi-Gods, interesting point. It is a little known fact in the Western world that Hinduism (the "World Religion" that apparently has a multitude of Gods) is in fact a Monotheistic faith that puts a multitude of faces and characters (or avatars - to take the word back to its original meaning!) to one supreme Deity. It is a very good way of viewing the different sides of our human nature to believe.

Religion has, indeed, been the masking of many wars, but it is just that, most of the time. Why? Because people will fight for what they believe in, and who believes strongly in politics?! Hardly anyone! So, cake it in a promise of eternal life and religious garb, and more people will join up. So the politicians very often hide behind religion... BUT Religion itself, it is worth remembering, is a man made thing, faith and belief are something very different. But since I have suggested some books for those of you who are actually interested in people and their views, I won't bring in another argument just yet!!!

It's good to get back into the theological debating mode again!!
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by donnick View Post
    If god created Adam and Eve then who is god, it cant be Jesus as he was created by god ??
    If you truly believe in God, you would know the answer to your question. It's obvious you don't know the answer. When you become a believer, you will know!

The whole thing is a waste of time as Thomas Aquinas pointed out.

There are truths of faith.
    There are truths of reason.

The two cannot refute or contradict each other and any attempt to do so will end in frustration and ire.

You either believe or you do not.

If that is accepted then a lot of angst can be avoided.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

The two cannot refute or contradict each other and any attempt to do so will end in frustration and ire.

Thomas Aquinas was a wise man in history.

Very true, o getting-near-it-retired man!

Quote Originally Posted by The Music Monster View Post
    Religion is for sheep?! Interesting analogy, I assume you are referring to the Judeo-Christian reference of God as a shepherd - clever reference!!!
    Nope! (I'm not smart enough for clever references)

So, cake it in a promise of eternal life and religious garb, and more people will join up.
    There we go, religion is for sheep!

"There we go, religion is for sheep!"

Hey don't you start on about Tesco!

Quote Originally Posted by donnick View Post
    If god created Adam and Eve then who is god....., ??
    And if Adam and Eve, the only folks around at the time, were the parents of Cain and Abel (both blokes in case it is not apparant), who did Cain marry?

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast