Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the police above the law???

Quote Originally Posted by drotax View Post
    @ Walter ego - I actually have a clean license i am proud to say

Both my work colleague and I were in the car were quiet surprised that the police officer would be speeding through all the traffic like that.

If he was coming back to wick for a call then fair dues..... but i cana see why the would call one officer back from thurso to a call in wick?

Surely they arent that short staffed are they?
    Perhaps it would be better to go to the Police and voice your concerns. Likely they won't tell you the reason, but if it was legit then that would be the end of it. If the Superior spoke to the Officer and he didn't have a good reason, they would advise him to smarten up/ better that surmising all the 'what ifs'.

maybe just maybe,
    the policeman was speeding the same as any civillian that might be speeding.
    just no other police around to catch him at it.........
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Yes, but before some people 'slag' him/her to death, wouldn't it be nice to know what the reason was!
    If caught 'they' can be in more trouble than a citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    might be ----byo LOL!
    bingo!! LOL!

2 internal rear view mirrors on a car that doesn't have L plates is always a bit of a giveaway.... And nice and obvious when silhouetted against the view of the road ahead illuminated by their own headlights! Not so easy to spot when they are behind you in the dark though...

Quote Originally Posted by drotax View Post
    @ Walter ego - I actually have a clean license i am proud to say

Both my work colleague and I were in the car were quiet surprised that the police officer would be speeding through all the traffic like that.

If he was coming back to wick for a call then fair dues..... but i cana see why the would call one officer back from thurso to a call in wick?

Surely they arent that short staffed are they?

OK Teasing aside, I still stand by my original comment that you, or anyone else for that matter, hads any idea if the 'speeding' was warranted. We can sit here pondering on staffing levels, potential crimes being comitted, the kettle being on, the skill level of the driver, etc til the coos come home. It aint going to change anything.

Personally, I'd be wary of criticising anyone who was cracking on a bit given the circumstances. You could be right, of course, but we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    2 internal rear view mirrors on a car that doesn't have L plates is always a bit of a giveaway.... And nice and obvious when silhouetted against the view of the road ahead illuminated by their own headlights! Not so easy to spot when they are behind you in the dark though...
    I too can tell the signs of a police car even at great distance, anyone catching me up.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    It can be quite amusing when I take the 'L' plates off the car. (Black 10 plate 5 door Fiesta)

You'll get a car come tanking up behind you, start to tailgate you and then you can almost feel the uncertainty setting in as they slowly drop back to a reasonable distance......

This thread appears to me to be the boy racers getting their own back on the police, lets just spare a thought for the coppers that have to go to fatalities and clear up the mess and go and break the news to relatives.
    To me the police do a fine job and they can speed as much as they like as long as they are there to help me when I need them. It would be a lawless country without them woudnt it?

C3....

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    This thread appears to me to be the boy racers getting their own back on the police, lets just spare a thought for the coppers that have to go to fatalities and clear up the mess and go and break the news to relatives.
    At last, someone else who is willing to speak up against the complacency that exists when it comes to dangerous and careless driving. Drink driving has now become broadly socially unacceptable - so I don't understand why the childish 'boy racer' type of driving (which is by no means limited to young men) is tolerated. When they cause a serious accident, and live to tell the tale, they are quite rightly taken through the courts and sometimes jailed. Yet when they don't survive they are martyred.

Quote Originally Posted by chordie View Post
    Yet when they don't survive they are martyred.
    I think that is nonsense.

Do you want to give us an example?

martyr 
    –noun
    1. a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.
    2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice.
    3. a person who undergoes severe or constant suffering: a martyr to severe headaches.
    4. a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

I guess it doesn't matter. I followed an unmarked car to the Police station one day, I knew it was an unmarked car as soon as it passed me. It was going quite fast into town not crazy fast though. I caught up with it at traffic lights. Their brake lights were stuck on... I had to tell them off for that

There must be someone from the local stations reading this thread so I guess the registration plates of the unmarked cars will be changed shortly - if not the cars themselves. Quite right too. I'd like to think our policemen are in the best possible position to protect us by being (relatively) unseen - when appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    It can be quite amusing when I take the 'L' plates off the car. (Black 10 plate 5 door Fiesta)

You'll get a car come tanking up behind you, start to tailgate you and then you can almost feel the uncertainty setting in as they slowly drop back to a reasonable distance......
    Thats crap, the police are not going to have a crappy little fiesta!

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Share=no sell=possibly!
    Full of crap=definately

@ lasher

anything useful to say or do you just like typing "crap" ?
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    @ lasher

Correct! Yes

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    @ lasher

Lets hope his driving isnt crap like his typing is!!!!
    Iron Maiden= crap!!!

C3....

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Lets hope his driving isnt crap like his typing is!!!!
    Iron Maiden= crap!!!

C3....
    Come back when you have something sensible to say.

Quote Originally Posted by lasher View Post
    Come back when you have something sensible to say.
    Ok, will do !!!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast