Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save pennyland school

Default Save pennyland school

Please we need your help to save pennyland school. This school has been round for years and so many children have been there and its going to be very sad to see it go. My three girls go to pennyland and its the best school for them and for other children too around the area and to let it go it will disrupt their education by changing them to different schools and meeting different children and teachers again!!!!!

Please feel free to add to this your comments

This is the very I have heard that Pennyland School is under threat of closure. Do you have any further details, ie a Link or where you got your information from.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Aren't all schools in the area under threat??....Not just Pennyland

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    This is the very I have heard that Pennyland School is under threat of closure. Do you have any further details, ie a Link or where you got your information from.
    No link or any other information however ALL the schools are under review

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...1.332-million-!!!

When you read predicted savings like those contained in the link above you know that this is not going to be achieved without closures and amalgamations. The consultation is ongoing but someone somewhere must have a rough idea of whats going to/or they would like to happen to be able to put this figure to paper.

Yeah Pennyland school is in fire line too. If you look in the john o groats journal or if you have face book go on to pennyland websit on there and it will tell you everything about it not just classroom assistant!
    Goverment what goverment they don't care one bit!!!

My point being it's not just Pennyland, there seems to be a lot of 'hooha' over Pennyland school when its not at risk any more than the other 2 schools in Thurso!
    Shouldn't people be focusing on trying to keep ALL of the schools open?.....If any one school closes then this will affect all schools due to class sizes increasing (problematic if we do lose the classroom assistants).
    Surely fighting for all schools to stay open is more beneficial than fighting for just one??.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scarybiscuits03 View Post
    My point being it's not just Pennyland, there seems to be a lot of 'hooha' over Pennyland school when its not at risk any more than the other 2 schools in Thurso!
    Shouldn't people be focusing on trying to keep ALL of the schools open?.....If any one school closes then this will affect all schools due to class sizes increasing (problematic if we do lose the classroom assistants).
    Surely fighting for all schools to stay open is more beneficial than fighting for just one??.....

I fear you may be disappointed.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...lforecasts.htm

I know so do i hope that ALL schools keep open and we can keep the classroom assistance we need them. But when your children go to the school that appears in papers and on facebook saying save pennyland school you worry about that school and that school only!!!!!!as a parent.

I think Pennyland have a cheek to be honest. All the schools are facing closure, why should 1 school get all the publicity when there are 2 others in the town just as concerned?

My girls go to Miller Academy, and yes Im concerned, and on the historical note, Miller was the only school in days past! They built Pennyland due to the influx of people coming to work for Dounreay. My mum attended Miller, and then Pennyland once it was built, but I still dont understand hwy everything is centred around Pennyland.

Cuts are going to happen, schools may well get closed. Something we are all going to have to wait and see what happens with.
    We child proofed the house..... but they keep getting in!

I dont want any of the schools getting closed because its a shame on the children and why should they be affected. I don't mean anything bad lindsay mcc but you would do the same. The only papers i have seen is pennyland at the moment and also the classroom assistants and i think its disgusting why the goverment have to do this to our children and to affect their education.

I think the reason there is so much 'hooha' about pennyland school is that the parents there are actually making a stand and trying to do something about its possible closure! As mentioned above any of the primary schools in Thurso could go, but parents from Miller and Mount Pleasant dont seem to be taking any action themselves...other than to have a go a the parents of Pennyland primary for trying to be proactive in preventing the school their children attend closing. Im sure none of the parents from Pennyland want any of the Thurso primary schools to close but they obviously especially dont want the school their children go to to shut either.
    Last edited by ter21wat; 09-Feb-11 at 11:31. Reason: spelling

Thank you for explaining that ter21wat that's what it is, its just a worry when your children go to that school i don't want any school to close we should all stick together.

reckon we ought to wait to see what school if any will get closed before we all get on our high horses, realistically where are they going to puit the children if they close any of the schools, think some folk are just making a mountain out of a molehill,2 of my kids attend mount plesant and my other daughter goes to farr high, wouldnt really want them to now go to another primary school, but if the time comes and it happens then like everyother parent in thurso i will have to deal with it.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

If you look at the link John Little posted you will see that none of the 3 primary schools are operating at full capacity so if they do shut one there will be room in the other 2 - that is if this is they way they decide to go, they may do something different but what ever it is it will affect our children. My children go to Miller and I think its a great schools, the best but I'm sure thats the way parents of kids at Pennyland and Mount Pleasant feel about their schools. All 3 schools are grade C so they may look and see how much it will cost to bring each one up to a grade A and then choose the cheapest option but I guess we just need to wait and see. Its pretty sad though.

'High horses' 'mountain out of a mole hill'.....Balto if we just wait and see it will all be done and dusted and there will be nothing you can do about it! What if they close Mount Pleasant and put your kids into a class of 60 at Miller or Pennyland....with no class room assistant to help out and ensure that any children having difficulty keeping up has a bit of support? Will you be happy with your children leaving primary school having recieved a sub-standard education??

Really feel for all you parents it is such a worry.

I'm possibly moving up to Thurso area in April with my 7 yr old. Am going to have a look at Pennyland, Halkirk and Mount Pleasant.

This review and people's opinions are bothering me. The last thing I want is to move him and he have to move again.

Why do people seem to be of the opinion that one of the Thurso schools will be the one to close and not for instance Halkirk or Castletown? Or even to merge the 2 smaller primary schools (crossroads and Reay) with the bigger ones.

The parents of Miller and Mount Pleasant arent doing a huge campaign as nobody knows what is going to happen.

I understand you are concerned, Im concerned too, but at the end of the day, there will no doubt be at least 1 primary school (including the villages here) that will close.

Maybe Pennyland are right in what they are doing, and maybe Miller and Mount Pleasant need to do the same, after all, we wouldnt want the publicity over Pennyland to take away from the important issue affecting the whole county.

Im leaving this thread now, because I dont think any of us will get the answers we want from this thread.
    We child proofed the house..... but they keep getting in!

I think Pennyland, Miller and Mount Pleasant all need to join forces...as you say no one knows which will close so joining ranks and having one overall campaign will surely be of more benefit for all...rather than each primary school going against each other. Im sure everyone is of the same opinion....we dont want any of them to close!

Surely what is required is to fight all cuts on a wholly united front : Save Caithness Jobs and Protect Our Services...jobs first Im afraid, we cannot afford to lose jobs in a local economy facing a potential melt down

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst03 View Post
    Really feel for all you parents it is such a worry.

I'm possibly moving up to Thurso area in April with my 7 yr old. Am going to have a look at Pennyland, Halkirk and Mount Pleasant.

This review and people's opinions are bothering me. The last thing I want is to move him and he have to move again.

Why do people seem to be of the opinion that one of the Thurso schools will be the one to close and not for instance Halkirk or Castletown? Or even to merge the 2 smaller primary schools (crossroads and Reay) with the bigger ones.
    It would be very doubtful if these schools were merged with ones in town,the costs of suppling transport for the children would out do any gain to be had from closing them x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast