Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: chanter lessons/occordian lessons advise

Smile chanter lessons/occordian lessons advise

Hi, I would like to get lessons for my 6 and half year old son on either the chanter or occordian. He does like the occordian but i am not sure which would be better for him to start with. I want advise on what is the best age for him to start learning, advise on best instrument to use. (ie: some chanters better than others). Also who would you recommend to teach either instrument and this age. He seems keen at the moment. His sister is 8 years and would if possible like lessons for them both so one can encourage the other.

For the chanter I would suggest you get in touch with Thurso Pipe Band they should be able to advise; the Pipe Major according to link on Caithnes.Org is Alan Plowman and his number is 01847 890186

Carol-Anne Mackay teaches chanter and accordion in Thurso.

I was told they needed to be older for the chanter as their hands aint big enough, ie p5
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Kevin Gunn from Watten is a piano box player and the schools piping instructor as well as being Alan Plowman's predecessor as Pipe Major, im sure he could give you some advice.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

i wid recommend 'e accordian. ma brither started 'e accordian when he wis 5, so i grew up hearin it ivry day!!

he won 'e mod lots o' times an' wis scottish champion. he still gigs now, at weddin's an stuff, usually ivry weekend...tho i think its kwate season ifanow. he's 33 years auld now.

no speakin personally aboot ma brither or 'at, but i think when ye play an insrument, lek seriously play an instrument. practice an go off til competitions 'e whole time. play at festivals an' concerts and stuff....i think when 'e person gets aulder an they go lookin for work, especially up here.....theres no alot goin. they put so much intil their music that they forget til get a trade.

am no sayin 'at will happen til yer bairns or 'at, but i hev seen'ed before.....

i howp yer bairnys gets on alrite lek, its a fabulous thing til learn an instrument at an early age..... an 'e accordian is COOL
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

You're right there is no work up here. I play with a couple of guys who moved to Glasgow and are managing to make a living playing traditional music. Im considering following them there because there's nothing but country and or western up here.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich