Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bfest 2011

Metalattakk multi-quote madness mode engaged....

Quote Originally Posted by elastic band View Post
    In respect of comment re -local bands for above event then ALWAYS THE SIXTH absolutely write and perform their own stuff. They have participated in a mini-tour, performed at Belladrum, totally blew the crowd away at last years BFEST and last weekend supported Twin Atlantic so surely they really have earned a slot at this years Bfest. It is vital to support our own homegrown talent as well as enjoy bands from down south.
    If only it were that easy. Playing with "bigger bands" doesn't earn you anything. Hard work and a lot of self promotion does. I don't think ATS quite fall into either column yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rangers1873 View Post
    livewire are a tribute band, a cover band as far as i know is a band that plays different material from various bands.
    Regardless of tribute/cover status (and you're trying really hard to pick an orgument with Fingal by the looks of things) they don't play their own songs. At the end of the day, they make money by playing another bands material... much like a cover band.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Cowie View Post
    To my knowledge Always the Sixth are not on the line up for the B fest as yet the only local band on the poster is Jude.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    i think a good cover band is great! people love to sing along with songs they know.
    its a bit boring standing listening to stuff youv never heard of coming from a band that just isnt famous!!
    and being able to play live is a huge talent, because theres nothing worse than listening to stuff youv never heard of from a band that sound so impressive recorded,with a LOT of help from mucked around with voices and guitars, then live they just cant sing or play that great!
    Everyone likes a good cover band, there's not many of them about mind you. However, if everyone took your stance, we'd never ever hear new bands. New talent needs to be heard, supported and nurtured. Small portions of Caithness really stick up for live bands... especially the ones writing their own material and trying hard, yet most of Caithness would say "Who? Oh that's just a racket" to any band who pour a lot of effort into what they do.

Sort of agree with your last part as well. Bands should sound good live and on record. Sadly, not many bands/artists (in the wider world) can.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I expect the organiser would hire your band if he thought they were up to snuff. What did he actually say to you?
    If Fingal formed a band... I'd pay the £25 just to see that! haha

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    To my knowledge the promoter has held back some slots for bands who enter battle of the bands contests and presumably win or top 2 place gain B fest place...kinda like a Go North activity
    Battle Of The Bands eh? Now there's a great idea... NAT!

I thought my generation were bad for squabbling. I think you older chiels need to calm the beans a little bit!

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    Do they take one person bands, who will i tribute, sorry cover.
    Emphasise "solo artiste," rather than "one man band."

A bit short sighted Cat if you don't support the up and coming bands playing their own material eventually the covers bands will have nothing to play as the music business will be bereft of new talent and new songs.
    From what I have seen all the local bands who play their own staff and have recorded their songs are more than capable of replicating it live on stage, Caithness has always had a wealth of musical talent that gets overlooked as we are so far North.
    i totally support up and coming bands,original or cover! if i go out and there is a good band playing then i will stay and listen all night instead of moving on to the next pub!! but i have to say i wouldnt sit there all night if they werent playing something i like,be that because of my taste,or because 3-4 hours listening to stuff iv never heard off just doesnt do it for me.
    i listen to plenty of old and new music,im sure the music industry wont grind to a halt.besides,it seems like people still like a lot of the old stuff!
    i am well aware that caithness has some VERY talented musicians,but there is loads of talented people from all over the world that dont make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post

If only it were that easy. Playing with "bigger bands" doesn't earn you anything. Hard work and a lot of self promotion does. I don't think ATS quite fall into either column yet.

Regardless of tribute/cover status (and you're trying really hard to pick an orgument with Fingal by the looks of things) they don't play their own songs. At the end of the day, they make money by playing another bands material... much like a cover band.

Correct.

Everyone likes a good cover band, there's not many of them about mind you. However, if everyone took your stance, we'd never ever hear new bands. New talent needs to be heard, supported and nurtured. Small portions of Caithness really stick up for live bands... especially the ones writing their own material and trying hard, yet most of Caithness would say "Who? Oh that's just a racket" to any band who pour a lot of effort into what they do.

Sort of agree with your last part as well. Bands should sound good live and on record. Sadly, not many bands/artists (in the wider world) can.

I thought my generation were bad for squabbling. I think you older chiels need to calm the beans a little bit!
    Good points jeid...mind I was only clarifying the issue, its the promoters choice to have the battle of the bands so beans are firmly in the tin !

Correct.

Re-above quote from Jeid -think you have been a little unfair on the boys from ALWAYS THE SIXTH -They do work hard -they write and perform all their own stuff and when they have a gig or event coming up they most definitely do put the hours in. Anyone who listens to their music can tell they are a quality act -they need support and encouragement not negativity -that is counterproductive for all involved -including anyone who want s to support and nurture new talent.
    mo

There a 3 slots up for grabs via the battle of the bands which will be held around June.

The idea of having the battle is that bands will give it their all and feel they have earned their place at the festival. Last year anyone who entered was given a slot - this year it is more about raising the overall standard of all bands who are playing. The best 3 bands in Caithness will be playing Bfest - thats all that matters isn't it?

As for cover bands - Jude have a huge following. The locals love them and I am happy to see them play again this year. We also have a 'tribute' band - Them Beatles - rated as the best Beatles tribute in the Uk.

Too many of you are caught up in believing every festival should stick to a certain blueprint. We are not T in the Park

Its all about providing a day of entertainment for all ages and all tastes. Without the likes of Jude and Them Beatles a lot of the younger & older people would be lost in all the unfamiliar music.

Everyone just needs to accept it for what it is and be happy we have a festival in Caithness.

Plus there are plans to have a fringe event on the Friday night with as many local bands as possible playing venues around Caithness.

Re-above quote from Jeid -think you have been a little unfair on the boys from ALWAYS THE SIXTH
    If anybody is to have an opinion on a band, their producer is certainly the right person to listen too no? He is right in saying that supporting a bigger band in your home town doesn't exactly bring you much other than a smile to your face ( Believe me I've been there ), My band have supported a bunch of class acts in Thurso. That of which didn't exactly boost our awareness to more new faces because in Thurso it's the same crowd each time that go to these shows give or take a few here and there who don't like said band or do enjoy the main act. We did one major support in Inverness however which did boost our name around said city, and the next time we played there, it was a much better turnout to previous shows.

Always The Sixth have a lot to learn, Be it from how they present themselves or how they play. I'm not claiming to know it all, Heck I've been working on my band for the last three years, and only this past 6 months have we started to really make progress as a working unit. They are lucky enough to have had worked with a class working producer who has enhanced their music to a high quality level, and also obviously have a handy manager on their side, Which is a bonus for them indeed.

I am behind local music 100% but I will however share my opinion when I feel.... Keyboard hero? Call me what you want.
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Re-above quote from Jeid -think you have been a little unfair on the boys from ALWAYS THE SIXTH -They do work hard -they write and perform all their own stuff and when they have a gig or event coming up they most definitely do put the hours in. Anyone who listens to their music can tell they are a quality act -they need support and encouragement not negativity -that is counterproductive for all involved -including anyone who want s to support and nurture new talent.
    But surely that's a parental opinion you're giving there?

You're saying "they write and perform their own stuff" like it's a totally new thing they're doing. I know they do that. But like I say, it entitles them to nothing, lots of bands are doing that. There was no negativity in my response to ATS, merely points I thought they could improve.

Hey, folks, what's the craic?

if something is good,even if its not to my taste,then i will say so. but sometimes its like flogging a dead horse! if people arent going and listening,buying cds or whatever,then maybe something needs to change.
    i think the bfest line up sounds great,by the way! be interesting to see who gets in to play in the local slots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Hey, folks, what's the craic?
    In you come loon, get yer tuppence worth

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    If anybody is to have an opinion on a band, their producer is certainly the right person to listen too no? He is right in saying that supporting a bigger band in your home town doesn't exactly bring you much other than a smile to your face ( Believe me I've been there ), My band have supported a bunch of class acts in Thurso. That of which didn't exactly boost our awareness to more new faces because in Thurso it's the same crowd each time that go to these shows give or take a few here and there who don't like said band or do enjoy the main act. We did one major support in Inverness however which did boost our name around said city, and the next time we played there, it was a much better turnout to previous shows.

Always The Sixth have a lot to learn, Be it from how they present themselves or how they play. I'm not claiming to know it all, Heck I've been working on my band for the last three years, and only this past 6 months have we started to really make progress as a working unit. They are lucky enough to have had worked with a class working producer who has enhanced their music to a high quality level, and also obviously have a handy manager on their side, Which is a bonus for them indeed.

I am behind local music 100% but I will however share my opinion when I feel.... Keyboard hero? Call me what you want.
    Yep, its a long way to the top when you want to rock n roll....and AT6 are about to hitch down the Highway to Hell...( once we all find the crossroads that is lol lol ) Quite undeniably, as people will soon hear and see for themselves, the named and credited engineer / producer ( JCR ) has indeed done a great job, as for the "manager"..well I dunno lol lol

Metalattakk multi-quote madness mode engaged....absolute genius my man !!

But surely that's a parental opinion you're giving there?

You're saying "they write and perform their own stuff" like it's a totally new thing they're doing. I know they do that. But like I say, it entitles them to nothing, lots of bands are doing that. There was no negativity in my response to ATS, merely points I thought they could improve.
    I would agree with Jeid here I don't see him being negative towards Always the Sixth quite the opposite in fact he has been very supportive of them and has done great job in recording them which puts him in an ideal position to give constructive views on the band.
    Zebedy is correct too the band have a lot to learn but they are young and are on the right road with a good man guiding them (not me I hasten to add) time will tell how they fare.

I would agree with Jeid here I don't see him being negative towards Always the Sixth quite the opposite in fact he has been very supportive of them and has done great job in recording them which puts him in an ideal position to give constructive views on the band.
    Zebedy is correct too the band have a lot to learn but they are young and are on the right road with a good man guiding them (not me I hasten to add) time will tell how they fare.
    Youve no problems with AT6 selling their soles at the crossroads Douglas ? lol lol Mind you, I can mind you traipsing up to the Reiss cross roads, guitar in hand..did you do the deal.... as its comming near pay back time lo lol lol
    Last edited by rob murray; 23-Feb-11 at 18:38.

Youve no problems with AT6 selling their soles at the crossroads Douglas ? lol lol Mind you, I can mind you traipsing up to the Reiss cross roads, guitar in hand..did you do the deal.... as its comming near pay back time lo lol lol
    Aye Robin and you were right there beside me with big Budge providing back up, if that old Antoria of yours could talk it would tell a few tales that's for sure.

Aye Robin and you were right there beside me with big Budge providing back up, if that old Antoria of yours could talk it would tell a few tales that's for sure.
    Aye but I cant mind signing anything.....

Aye but I cant mind signing anything.....
    I signed for you, you were too busy trying to get the gaffa tape off the volume control of your AC 30!!

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    Yes!!!!!!!!!! Gun!!!!!!
    I would love to get excited about Gun playing B-Fest, but with singer Mark Rankin not in the reformed line-up, i find it difficult to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I would love to get excited ........... i find it difficult to do so.

None of us are getting any younger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast