Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London mayor

Default London mayor

well done Boris 4 more years in charge on london,look forward to many more laughs,

Yes, Boris is the best thing to happen in politics for many a long year. Doing a grand job in London. Wish we had someone of his calibre in Holyrood.

I think John Thurso would make a great Mayor of Thurso.....He could tell a few jokes and then slap a congestion charge on the Co-Op car park!!!

C3..............

'There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.'And there we have, in the words of Margaret Thatcher, the essence of Conservatism.

This is the ideology underpinning what London has voted for.A denial of social responsibility in other words - because there is no such thing as society.

Selfishness elevated to a virtue.Any social democratic party has to be better than that.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    'There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.
    What is wrong with that and why does it deny social responsibility? To me, that is implicit in the quote.

In fact, it discourages abandoning our social responsibilty to the state.
    Last edited by ducati; 05-May-12 at 23:02.

Because of the let out clause. It all sounds glorious until you come to the bit where it depends on how much each of us is prepared to do. A lot would be quite happy to do not. To take and not put back is no basis for an equitable society.

You might give a lot to the community and I know that you do, but there,s plenty would be quite happy to reap the benefits of living in a mutually supportive community while denying any duty to maintain it. It's another of those Tory soundbites- Remember care in the community where all of a sudden it was a good idea to close lots of mental hospitals and look after people iN their own community? Sounded good but was all about keeping taxes down? Makes the unpalatable taste nice?

Any party that denies the existence of society is exactly what it's founder called it - an organised hypocrisy!
    Last edited by John Little; 05-May-12 at 23:16.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Because of the let out clause. It all sounds glorious until you come to the bit where it depends on how much each of us is prepared to do. A lot would be quite happy to do not. To take and not put back is no basis for an equitable society.

You might give a lot to the community and I know that you do, but there,s plenty would be quite happy to reap the benefits of living in a mutually supportive community while denying any duty to maintain it. It's another of those Tory soundbites- Remember care in the community where all of a sudden it was a good idea to close lots of mental hospitals and look after people iN their own community? Sounded good but was all about keeping taxes down? Makes the unpalatable taste nice?

Any party that denies the existence of society is exactly what it's founder called it - an organised hypocrisy!
    I disagree, I always felt this quote was misrepresented most of the time. Society is just a word. If individuals are not prepared to contribute then truly it does not exist.

And BTW I have experience of care in the community and have to say it is much better for individuals than institutional living cut off from the rest of the community. And I seriously doubt it saves money when you see the intensive support some folk need and the dedication of the care staff.

On a side but related note, I quite liked Theo P's comment on Question Time the other night ' we (very rich people) quite like to give money away (to good causes) rather than to the tax man, that way we know it is spent wisely'
    Last edited by ducati; 05-May-12 at 23:35.

the words of Margaret Thatcher,

Is she the Mayor of London?

I agree with ducati on this one

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Is she the Mayor of London?
    She might as well be!
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bucket View Post
    I agree with ducati on this one
    Then please explain to me what you are agreeing with because Duke's version of Conservatism confuses me.

Conservatism has many strands. The tolerable ones are those who stick to the central ideology of Conservatism laid down by Disraeli when he was setting the party up. Basically he identified two Britains- a better off one and a worse off one. According to him the better off ones had a duty towards the worse off in society and should seek to hep them through co-operative, state supported intervention. The idea was not to give stuff away but to pass laws to make chances more equal and set up structures in society where people could help themselves.

But in the 1980s Conservative ideology took a lurch to the right, influenced heavily by american neo-conservatives who deny the existence of society, deny the duty towards the less well-off, deeming it their own fault, and cutting public spending in pursuit of monetarist policies. Growing up at this time were Boris Johnson, David Cameron and George Osborne and it's these ideas that they believe in. London did not vote for a political decision - they voted for an image of a tousle haired buffoon who entertains them and they have a laugh at - but he's quite clever really. They'll have to live with the consequences.

Duke behaves, and sometimes talks like a classic one-nation Tory.

But he's vociferous in supporting the other type as well - like he's got one foot in each half of the Tory party.

It leads me to think that a lot of people vote Tory who don't grok the underlying beliefs.

So - is Mrs Thatcher Mayor of London? She might as well be, because it's one of Thatcher's children who is mayor. The social divide will deepen.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Who cares about the London Mayor up here, I certainly don't. We have enough problems over this side of the border to bother what that very clever but still a clown Boris, is up to.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Then please explain to me what you are agreeing with because Duke's version of Conservatism confuses me.

Conservatism has many strands. The tolerable ones are those who stick to the central ideology of Conservatism laid down by Disraeli when he was setting the party up. Basically he identified two Britains- a better off one and a worse off one. According to him the better off ones had a duty towards the worse off in society and should seek to hep them through co-operative, state supported intervention. The idea was not to give stuff away but to pass laws to make chances more equal and set up structures in society where people could help themselves.

But in the 1980s Conservative ideology took a lurch to the right, influenced heavily by american neo-conservatives who deny the existence of society, deny the duty towards the less well-off, deeming it their own fault, and cutting public spending in pursuit of monetarist policies. Growing up at this time were Boris Johnson, David Cameron and George Osborne and it's these ideas that they believe in. London did not vote for a political decision - they voted for an image of a tousle haired buffoon who entertains them and they have a laugh at - but he's quite clever really. They'll have to live with the consequences.

Duke behaves, and sometimes talks like a classic one-nation Tory.

But he's vociferous in supporting the other type as well - like he's got one foot in each half of the Tory party.

It leads me to think that a lot of people vote Tory who don't grok the underlying beliefs.

So - is Mrs Thatcher Mayor of London? She might as well be, because it's one of Thatcher's children who is mayor. The social divide will deepen.
    Dude! Disraeli has been dead for some considerable time. I know you are a historian but ideas develop over time making the past less relevant to the future. And conservatism for me, in a nutshell, means using your best efforts to improve your own lot and where possible and practical, to contribute to the common good. It is not and never has been a conservative value to dodge taxes as this is the minimum you can do for the common good. I feel the people who do, and there are many and they brag about it, are definitely not conservatives (Red Ken springs to mind but he is an open goal).
    Last edited by ducati; 06-May-12 at 22:00.

Marx has been dead for quite a while too. It does not follow that Marxism is dead. Jesus has been dead for 2000 years but his ideology seems to have a certain shelf life too. That Dizzy is dead is true, but I assure you that one-nation Conservatism is alive and well- its leading proponent at the moment is Ken Clark. He has about as much in common with the likes of Nadine Dorries as chalk does to cheese. Boris is not as far right as she is, but the clamouring of the Tory right to the effect that austerity is not biting deep enough is rather terrifying.

It has never been a Conservative value to dodge taxes - that is true. However it is time-honoured Conservative tradition to keep taxes as low as possible; neo-cons want to be rather more severe on that than the progressive conservatives. But the present lot wink at corporations dodging taxes, with banks and businesses paying their employees such levels that tax really does not matter any more.

Of all the strands of Conservatism around, it seems to me that the current Tory party consists of 3 warring parts; the one -nation Conservatives, the Thatcherite radicals like Cameron. Osborne and Johnson, and the neo-cons ravening on the far right who are in unholy alliance with the old Tories who are just reactionary.All in all they are not really a party at all but an umbrella under which various interest groups form conglomerates.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Err OK. Every party has its extreme fringe, that is the job of the leader to moderate. But Boris is still good for London.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    But Boris is still good for London.
    Is he anything to do with the Ethnic Cleansing that is supposed to be happening down there Duke. I heard somewhere that one London Borough wanted to shift 500 poor families all the way out to Stoke? In a few years time will London be rid of the poor and only the rich able to live there?
    I wonder how long it will be before they are moving their poor up to Scotland and even Caithness, could we cope with that?
    From what I have seen of him I don't think he has done much good for the poor of London, but then again he is Tory!!

C3.................

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Is he anything to do with the Ethnic Cleansing that is supposed to be happening down there Duke. I heard somewhere that one London Borough wanted to shift 500 poor families all the way out to Stoke? In a few years time will London be rid of the poor and only the rich able to live there?
    I wonder how long it will be before they are moving their poor up to Scotland and even Caithness, could we cope with that?
    From what I have seen of him I don't think he has done much good for the poor of London, but then again he is Tory!!

C3.................
    Actually, he has done a great deal for the poor of London. On the assumption the poor outnumber the rich, how do you think he got re-elected?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Actually, he has done a great deal for the poor of London. On the assumption the poor outnumber the rich, how do you think he got re-elected?
    On a 37 per cent turnout I would imagine that a lot of folk just gave up on the ego tripping beauty contest and did not vote. Not because they do not care, but, like me, they do not see anything worth voting for.Why vote for something you feel totally removed from and powerless with.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

So basically Boris is mayor because about 18 per cent of Londoners voted for him.Major triumph eh?
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

This thread is too political for me and since I don't have to contend with your political system will not respond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast