Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: * Beware *

Exclamation * Beware *

I have advertised my cats to be rehomed through Caithness Cats Protection.

A woman from Latheronwheel showed up today to take one of them. I was so happy that she found a new home that I forgot to mention that she had been spayed and that the stitches would need to be removed by a vet next week. That was at 12pm today.

At 6.20pm I find a bag with the cat outside my door and a note written on a lined index card saying there's something wrong with the cat because I didn't mention the stitches. 10min later the woman calls me (number withheld!) saying that her partner returned the cat for the reason mentioned.
    I was upset and said she could have called and I could have clarified this, and I asked why she didn't knock. She mentioned that her partner dropped off the cat and that he did knock - very doubtfull considering the note attached to the bag the cat was left in.

My poor cat is traumatised by this incident and I have reported this woman to Caithness Cats Protection.

So, if you should hear from a woman from Latheronwheel wanting to adopt a cat or maybe another pet I'd be careful!

Thats awful,can't believe they put her in a bag!.poor cat,hope she's ok.

That is terrible, just terrible, I do hope the cat is alright.
    You should put the woman in a bag and deposit her at the police station!

Oh that is just awful!! Poor cat and poor you!

Mind you I'm very glad the cat is back with you even though it wasn't nice how it was done as it doesn't sound like it would have been a very nice home!

Please, please don't just give your cat to anyone without doing some kind of background check. If the person saw your advert on Caithness Cat's Protection website it would be up to you to 'vet' her as they only do this for cats they foster.

I realise you need to rehome your cats but would be good if you could wait a while if possible as it sounds like your wee cat could do with some time to get over this.
    Last edited by Liz; 26-Jan-11 at 23:51.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

That is awful! In all honesty, I think its better the cat is with you again, she doesn't sound a very nice person and nor does her husband.

Please make sure you check out next people that come to see her/them.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    That is terrible, just terrible, I do hope the cat is alright.
    You should put the woman in a bag and deposit her at the police station!
    or just at the door of the police station...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    That is awful! In all honesty, I think its better the cat is with you again, she doesn't sound a very nice person and nor does her husband.

Please make sure you check out next people that come to see her/them.
    Cats Protection should have checked them out first since I have the cat posted on their website for rehoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatbabe View Post
    Cats Protection should have checked them out first since I have the cat posted on their website for rehoming.

As Liz has already pointed out, it is still up to you to vet the prospective owners as Cats Protection did not foster the cat merely advertised it as needing to be re-homed.

I understand that both you and your cat are traumatised by this experience and I do feel for you but would it not have been better for your own piece of mind to have waited until the stitches were out before letting anyone take the cat? OR If you 'forgot' to mention at the time about the stitches needing to be taken out then surely you should have immediately contacted the owners (assuming you bothered to get a number) and let them know? 6 1/2 hours is plenty of time to get a message through.

I do not know these idiots that took this cat and I can only hope and pray that they don't manage to get hold of another cat if that is how they see fit to treat one. Leaving a cat in a bag is disgusting enough but leaving a cat that could have any kind of medical problem causing those stitches is just ..... well there are no words.

However, IMO the cats legal owner is not entirely faultless in this case. ANY caring owner would IMO have waited for those stitches to come out, or would not have 'forgotten' to mention the fact that it had stitches and needed a vet to get them out AND would also have vetted the home first.
    Assuming that Cat Protection did the job for them is not good enough - if you have your pets best interests at heart (which I suspect you do as you show responsibility having the cat neutered before homing) then surely you would clarify the extent of the Cats Protection involvement first? And would take all details of the new owner also?
    Sorry but I believe this situation could have been avoided with some honesty in the first place.

However, I am sincerely glad that your cat is safe and well and back with you.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Sorry Tatbabe but you cannot blame Caithness Cat's Protection for what happened.

As Porshiepoo rightly said, they merely 'advertised' your cats on their website. Even if this wasn't the case it is still your duty as their owner to ensure that they are going to a good home.

You said you cannot keep them because you can't afford them which I understand. However, there are ways around this.
    You could register one of them with the PDSA at the vets and there are always plenty of offers on food at supermarkets so you could stock up.
    We get Butchers Classic cat food for the stray cats we feed and they come in big packs.

I don't blame Cats Protection - I have simply reported the woman to them so they know who they're dealing with if she should contact them again to adopt a cat.

As far as the cost: Living on £65 per week job seeker allowance with £35 per week spent on coal for heating there's not much left to spend considering that I have to put money aside for electricity etc.

Well you did say that they 'should have checked them out first'.

Anyway I don't want to get into an argument and completley understand your reason for wanting to rehome them and I hope you find a really good home for them as they are such beautiful cats.

Is there any way you can get your heating changed? We went from solid fuel to electric and are saving a fortune!

I am renting so I cannot change the heating I'm afraid. Private landlord and house is ex Council.

Who paid to have the cat neutered?

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Who paid to have the cat neutered?
    I was just thinking that it was very responsible to have the cat spayed. Well Done Tatbabe!

Now I will just duck back below the parapet before Commore logs on.

Cats Protection paid for the neutering but the woman was going to make a donation to Cats Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    I was just thinking that it was very responsible to have the cat spayed. Well Done Tatbabe!

Now I will just duck back below the parapet before Commore logs on.
    As it happens, my cat is neutered too,

I have adopted 2 from Cats Protection now and have never had a home check. My Mother walked in, asked for a kitten and walked out again with one. Very easy to do. As it happens, we are very responsible, but not everyone is.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I have adopted 2 from Cats Protection now and have never had a home check. My Mother walked in, asked for a kitten and walked out again with one. Very easy to do. As it happens, we are very responsible, but not everyone is.
    Are you sure that was from Cats Protection Sarah? They don't have a centre where you can just 'walk in' and the cats are all fostered by volunteers at their own homes.

I'm sorry Tatbabe but I run the website and it clearly says that "(cats names) are not under the care of Cats Protection and would therefore be homed directly from their current owner." In cases such as this we are just trying to use our website to make their plight known to a wider audience. I hope I'm not coming across as defensive but it's an important point to make. Anyone who does home animals privately is responsible for checking out the prospective owner.

Now that that is out of the way, I was shocked to hear about what happened to your cat. It was completely unnecessary but at least your cat has been spared what sounds like a very unsuitable home. I hope she is recovering from her ordeal and when you feel ready to rehome both of them together I'd be happy to post something on here for you. I obviously have their details and photographs so it wouldn't be any bother.

I think there was fault on both sides!
    ~The cat had stitches still to be removed when it was rehomed, and the new owner didnt know what they were for.
    Could have been for numerous ailments that could be costly, as far as they knew.
    Returning a cat in a bag to the door without the previous owners knowledge is stupid!
    They wouldnt know how long before the cat would be found...imagine if Tatbabe was away for a few days!
    Communication, communication, communication!
    Would have solved the problems at the start!