Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Family Surnames in Caithness - My List of Names I'm Researching

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Family Surnames in Caithness - My List of Names I'm Researching

Hello all,

I'm posting the list of surnames in which I am interested in. It has been a long while since I have done so, and hope there will be some new interest. Alphabetically, here we go...

Banks; Bartlett; Bremner; Cameron; Dallas; Fairweather; Forbes; Grant; Green; Macaulay/McInlay; McGregor; McKay; Miller; Nicolson; Oman; Wares; Young

These are my main-line families, and a summary of where they originate/lived follows...

Banks - Canisbay
    Bartlett - Aberdeenshire and Wick
    Bremner - Wick
    Cameron - Portskerra, Halkirk, Watten
    Dallas - Inverness and Wick - latterlt links to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and USA
    Fairweather - Wick
    Forbes - Wick
    Grant -Wick
    Green - Stroma and Wick
    Macaulay/McInlay - Thrumster
    McGregor - Latheron, Watten
    McKay - Portskerra and Wick
    Miller - Thrumster and Wick
    Nicolson - Bower and Dunnet
    Oman - Latheron, Halkirk, Bower
    Wares - Wick
    Young - Wick

These are generalised areas of the county, and there are specific areas such as Sarclet, Thrumster, Ulbster, etc.

I am in the process of building a website, and it can be found at http://stevenmcgregor.cwahi.net/

I haven't updated this since last September, but I have been concentrating on writing up a book on what I know so far. There is a good deal of information on Dallas, McGregor, Bartlett, and a few selected others, but more is to follow.

If anyone is researching these family names I would love to hear from you to exchange information. I look forward to any queries, and hope to get some response as I have been specific enough to generate some interest, but not too vague.

Regards,
    Steven

(Hope there aren't too many spelling mistakes)
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 25-Jan-11 at 21:28.